Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: The RCBS Pro Melt 2 Furnace

The RCBS Pro Melt 2 Furnace

Hey fellas
    do any of you guys have one of these melters I have been looking at it for a while & it is out of stock on every site I have been on let me know the PROS & CONS of this furnace

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper44shooter View Post
    Hey fellas
    do any of you guys have one of these melters I have been looking at it for a while & it is out of stock on every site I have been on let me know the PROS & CONS of this furnace
    Last I heard they were having issues with supplier (out of China) and were taking it off the market till they could improve reliability of supply. Covid must have stopped those efforts.

Can’t speak to PM2 but can say the PM1 is a great furnace. Got mine used and it’s a fantastic unit. Heats up in 15-20 minutes when full and no need to keep it running when your done like some other units. I have not seen mine drip anything more than user error and it maintains good temp. For hand casting I highly recommend it and if they can fix the issues with the PM2 I’m assuming it will have the same positives.

Do wish it has a cast iron basin instead but it’s a minor inconvenience.

Boolit Master
    I wore out a PM1 - after decades and literally tons of alloy, (and RCBS wasn't going to support it anymore) so bought a PM2 when they first came out. Took almost an hour to get to temp, digital therm was 120 deg off .......
    Cust tech was actually helpful, told me a way to "fool" the PID by changing set points.
    But, it doesn't drip !!!!!!!
    And having to run the fan for a couple hours for cool down so the PID doesn't fry is stupid !!
    Stu is right, they took them off the market until the bugs get worked out.
    RCBS shows the 240 v euro version on their site - no US version
    It's possible RCBS could get it figured out in the near future, but then you have the fun of being a beta tester. lol

I would look for a used PM1 - but by now that could be futile (everybody else looking for one).
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

I have one works for me, also had one of the first ones too.

Banned
    I've been watching these as well. Wished I had purchased a PM1 when they were available.

Hopefully some day RCBS will get the PM2 back on line. And as Gunslinger1911 pointed out, I may end up being a beta tester !

If I found a used PM1 that was priced appropriately, I'd likely grab it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I've been watching these as well. Wished I had purchased a PM1 when they were available.

Hopefully some day RCBS will get the PM2 back on line. And as Gunslinger1911 pointed out, I may end up being a beta tester !

If I found a used PM1 that was priced appropriately, I'd likely grab it.
    The last PM1's were made in China before RCBS stopped selling them. Got one off Amazon after I read where it was made sold it on here. Got a Lyman Mag25 it broke so I thought I try the PM2 like I said works well so far. RCBS has a fix for the drip and will send it free of charge. I can cast with just about any pot. Think I was over 100,000 with a Lee 10 pound before I got a PM1 in 1993. I'm always buying new reloading toys only hobby I have.

Boolit Master

Picked up a used PM1 when I heard of the problems of the PM2. Still use a Lee 20 pot and hand ladle. Was looking at upgrading the Lee to the new RCBS ladle pot but with the PID problems I'll end up with a Magma or ho-made 60-90 pound pot when I get tired of the 20 pounder.

Boolit Master
    Dannyd, you are a "33%'er" !!
    I did a of of research when I got the PM2; seems a third of buyers had no problems, a third minor issues, and my third - almost unusable. But did I mention it doesn't drip ! haha

I hope most stuck to bugging RCBS cust serv - took 3 emails, but I finally got a guy that had a "hack".

Not bashing RCBS, they wanted to beat Lyman to the "PID pot", and it bit them in the "you know where".

My PM2 is usable, gone through a couple hundred lbs alloy, the couple hour "cool off" time is a pain (I 'm prob gonna look into moving the PID - drill a couple of rivets, make a standalone box, splice in some wires )
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

I have both a PM1 and a PM2.

The PM2 is a nice pot....but you can't just shut it down. I have mine on a digital timer. When I'm done casting I hit the four hour button, set the pot to 0 and walk away.

That being said my controller is starting to have problems. I need to call RCBS and see if there's a fix.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a PM2, but I got a ProMelt (ladle pot only) when they first came out. Lasted about 8 months before the fan quit working. Sent it back and they sent a new one, as long as you are under warranty they will replace it, but, cant fix them since they are built in China. Got a used Pro Melt 1 while waiting for the replacement and havent opened the box yet with the new pot. Completely happy with the quality of the PM1.

Boolit Master

Made 200 gr 45's today with PM2 it worked. Everyone so upset with a pot made in China do you get that upset about your Tv, computer, cell phone, internet router and the list goes on. We have done this to ourselves American goods were always better until the 1970's.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Have had a PM1 since forever, would get another if circumstances allow.

Banned
    It's the best bottom feed pot there is.

Boolit Master

The Best pot RCBS never made they brought the company in Ohio that did.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    I wore out a PM1 - after decades and literally tons of alloy, (and RCBS wasn't going to support it anymore) so bought a PM2 when they first came out. Took almost an hour to get to temp, digital therm was 120 deg off .......
    Cust tech was actually helpful, told me a way to "fool" the PID by changing set points.
    But, it doesn't drip !!!!!!!
    And having to run the fan for a couple hours for cool down so the PID doesn't fry is stupid !!
    Stu is right, they took them off the market until the bugs get worked out.
    RCBS shows the 240 v euro version on their site - no US version
    It's possible RCBS could get it figured out in the near future, but then you have the fun of being a beta tester. lol

I would look for a used PM1 - but by now that could be futile (everybody else looking for one).
    Do you remember what the hack was to fool the PID and set to correct temp? Mine starts out at 150degrees and won't melt lead.

Thanks for help