MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Is this real pewter?

Is this real pewter?

I found some items online that are supposedly pewter I bought two of the items for $3. Some of the items have markings on them that say rwp Wilton Columbia are these real pewter ? If so I'll go back and buy more?

Boolit Buddy
    Wilton is stuff from Pa. Some other white metal, pretty sure ...Send me a pic ...mike

Boolit Master

I've never seen a Wilton item that was true pewter. They use an aluminum alloy.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to say, Wilton is well known for producing items made of "pewterex", which actually contains no tin at all. It is an alloy of aluminum. Generally it is a dull gray color, thicker than real pewter, may have casting marks that pewter doesn't, and is quite stiff, whereas pewter usually bends and does not spring back.

Those devotional plates that say "Give us this day our daily bread" are almost always by Wilton and not useful for casting (and most likely won't even melt in the casting setups we use).

There is a huge sticky near the top of this forum that show many typical forms of pewter and the touch marks of companies that produced them. It's worth a look.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I always said RWP stands for “not” real pewter. Hit the salvation armies and thrift stores.

Boolit Master
    In case you want to roll your own pewter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pewter

Boolit Buddy
    is a bowl marked 'Brewster pewter' design #4512 real pewter or of lower/bad alloy? seems to look and fell right.
    Shaune509

Boolit Buddy
    I had to look it up. It was made by International Silver Co. in Meriden Ct. until 1984 . It is nice quality material. & the best part is those "Brewster Designs" are slightly thicker material.. Mo tin in those thicker pieces.. uncle mike

Boolit Buddy
    uncle mike, thanks. It's about a lbs so fair supply for alloying the lead on hand. Most of mom's other junk stash is only tin plate garbage, amazing all the stuf she has piled in closets and spare rooms that has not seen light for 20+ years. if she knew all that we are readying for a yard sale she might dis own us, but its better to do it now then after the end as i've done the final clean out for other relatives and friends and its way to much work when rushed.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    If you can bend it easily and it has some heft it is pewter or at least something with a good bit of tin in it.