RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Form 43 Beaumont from 50-90 sharps, which dies work best?

Boolit Bub

Form 43 Beaumont from 50-90 sharps, which dies work best?

Hi Guys, just got an 1875 dutch Beaumont, which i intend to shoot eventually.

Have 50-90 brass, and have seen this reload vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3qT3S4jPk

I know about the ch4d dies that are made out of gold, but i'd like to keep the cost down, since i probably won't shoot it all THAT much..

The guy in the vid uses 8mm lebel, followed by 45-70 followed by 45 long colt, and looks like he's using an expander die to seat the bullets.

Is this the best way to go or do other Beaumont shooters use different (economical) dies to get there they need to be, and seat the bullet?

Also, have Alliant 2400, Red Dot, 5744 and Trail Boss, no projectiles yet. Any mild accurate pet loads that you can recommend?

Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    I do exactly what he says to do. I bought bullets from Blue Falcon on gunbroker. I only shot a few, lubed not the patched, with 5744. My late cousin bought one also and did a ton of research. He strongly suggested that from now on we should only shoot FF black powder in them. Something about the steel being dead soft.

I’m only a costumer of blue falcon.

Also I always Anneal before I do anything. I don’t have as much of a hard time as he does by any stretch of imagination.
    Last edited by RedneckRob; 04-11-2020 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Anneal first

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRob View Post
    I do exactly what he says to do. I bought bullets from Blue Falcon on gunbroker. I only shot a few, lubed not the patched, with 5744. My late cousin bought one also and did a ton of research. He strongly suggested that from now on we should only shoot FF black powder in them. Something about the steel being dead soft.

I’m only a costumer of blue falcon.

Also I always Anneal before I do anything. I don’t have as much of a hard time as he does by any stretch of imagination.
    Thanks for the input. so you seat the bullets with a universal expander die as set up in the youtube vid? Thought i read somewhere that some used a 45 long colt seater.
    Also, have you slugged your bore? Some info found online states these have somewhat tapered bores, being larger in the throat?

I have a 43 Egyptian and use mag. tech 32 gauge brass for brass. The rim is slightly smaller diameter and sometimes the extractor slips by. I was offered loaded ammo made with 8mm lebel and the measured rim diameter was less than the 32 gauge brass or an original 43 Egyptian. I say this because I believe 43 beaumont and 43 Egyptian will often interchange.i believe 50-90 sharps has the best rim needed for conversion.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, don’t know about that and no. If it is a tapered bore then the bullet should swag down if you use a soft lead.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the input. I've heard some case trimmers can not handle the big 50-90 case head; what are you guys using to trim 43 Beaumont brass once it's formed and just needs a little trimming?

Boolit Mold
    I use the Frankford Arsenal case trimmer, trims from the shoulder for reference.