Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charter Pathfinder 8 shot on the way

Boolit Master
    Bulldogs are good value. Finish is just so-so. At least with my "Fit for Duty" model. Recoil is harsh, even with moderate (Level 2) loads. I purchased it to carry while bow hunting, and it suits it's intended purpose. Twenty five rounds, per session, is enough for me. My Ruger LCR 357 is pleasant to shoot, compared to the Bulldog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060775.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	261006

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The box showed up saturday, UPS delivered the revolver to the factory this morning. So far so good, hopefully it will come back fixed right. I included a note stating that if they thought the older six round cylinder would be more dependable then they have my permission to do that instead.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Called Charter this morning, they are sending a UPS box and label for it. Looking good so far!

That's exactly the way CA customer service treated my warranty service call in 2008...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've been looking at a few Bulldogs. How does those that own one like them?

My ca.Y2K Model .44 BD has been both reliable & accurate.

In my $5 (new) gunshow holster

Those Sile grips with the silver medallions are way better than the bulky pancake grips Charter uses nowadays. I got a used set from Fleabay for my Pathfinder.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I currently own a charter arms Bulldog. It is reliable and nice to shoot now that I have Pachmayr full size grips on it. I reload and tend to go for mild to midway loads. It is more accurate than I am and I really like the sights. It’s also nice that I can see those big 44 holes in the target at 50 ft. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post

I currently own a charter arms Bulldog.

It’s also nice that I can see those big 44 holes in the target at 50 ft.

Just think how good you could see the holes if they were bleeding...…..

Boolit Master
    Any updates yet? The shop here has LCRx 3" adjustable sight .22 coming in. Cant wait to see it. My LCP 22 feeds the WW 36gr HP, reliably. They gave a very sharp shoulder, so that makes happy as I have about 10 bricks of them.. todd/3leg

No, nothing yet. I have plenty of guns to play with in the meantime so I'm not going to rush them. Will post back when it happens!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post
    I currently own a charter arms Bulldog. It is reliable and nice to shoot now that I have Pachmayr full size grips on it. I reload and tend to go for mild to midway loads. It is more accurate than I am and I really like the sights. It’s also nice that I can see those big 44 holes in the target at 50 ft. Tim
    I think Larry Flint took a cylinder of those in the chest. Then of course there was that son of Sam guy....

Ok, the Little Brown Santa Claus dropped off the Pathfinder last night. The tech left a surprisingly detailed report stating that they replaced the cylinder and everything else checked out. It is still an 8 shot so I guess they are keeping that design going. Hopefully I can give it a test drive when I get home from work.

That turn-around time is much more than I experienced - Maybe due to employee/pandemic issues ?

I glad that you got it back

Took the Pathfinder for a test drive yesterday. It fired and functioned 100%. The bulge near the rim is still there but alot less than it was. It seems to all be coming from the area where the extractor contacts the shell. I suppose that if they reduced the clearance too much in this area the cylinder could bind. The bulges remind me of the smiley face bulges on cases fired by older Glocks and other pistols with an unsupported area of the chamber. If it never gets any worse then I suppose it is nothing to worry about.

Boolit Master
    Glad they took care of you. How is the accuracy, squirrel/rabbit capable?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Glad to here they got you fixed up .

Accuracy is better than my shaky hands can take advantage of, on par with my Ruger Wrangler. One odd thing: once in a great while when I go to close the cylinder the hand will be sticking out of it's slot a little bit and catch the edge of the cylinder. I pull back the cylinder latch and work the trigger some and it goes back in it's place. Strange, never had that happen before. Cylinder always rotates fine when it is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post

One odd thing: once in a great while when I go to close the cylinder the hand will be sticking out of it's slot a little bit and catch the edge of the cylinder.

I pull back the cylinder latch and work the trigger some and it goes back in it's place.

The timing is off, and will get worse with wear sooner than not.

I would advise calling CA customer service & sending it back again - which is what I had to do with the original (2007) .22 mag-only Target (?) Pathfinder that CA eventually replaced (and for my trouble fitted/included a LR cylinder prior to introducing the Dual Cylinder model).

My replacement Pathfinder has been trouble-free since 2008.

I’ve never had much luck with Charter Arms. Seems everyone had some kind of issue. I bought new Tracker 22, Bulldog 44 and a 38sp. Didn’t keep any of them very long. That was 35-40 yrs ago. Only ones I’ve got since were used ones on trade.

I just got an old one of those a few days ago. Kind of a junky gun, but it worked and shot accurate enough for self defense... mine has the hammer spur filed off.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    The timing is off, and will get worse with wear sooner than not.

I would advise calling CA customer service & sending it back again - which is what I had to do with the original (2007) .22 mag-only Target (?) Pathfinder that CA eventually replaced (and for my trouble fitted/included a LR cylinder prior to introducing the Dual Cylinder model).

My replacement Pathfinder has been trouble-free since 2008.

Thanks, will do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast