Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: sizing bore riding nose only.

Boolit Buddy

sizing bore riding nose only.

I have a Lee mold for 30-30 that casts bolts that fit perfectly as cast. The nose of the boolit slides into the bore and leaves faint engraving from the lands. Wonderful, right? Well not if I want to powder coat them. The PC would increase the diameter of the boolit enough that it will now not seat .

So I would need to size the nose to fit either before or after coating, and I may also need to size the drive bands separately to a different diameter. Right?

So how do I do that, differential sizing?
    Before or after PCing.

Ain't this fun!
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master

NOE makes a sizer with interchangeable bushings that can nose size. It might work for you but I had some that were too fat and sizing down more than 0.001" is difficult as there is a a lack of leverage the way you screw the housing into the die threads.

Boolit Master

Yes, as mentioned above there is a nose sizer available and it may work for you. My problem was that it seemed the nose wasn't concentric with the body of the bullet after sizing. Hopefully there will be others along to comment on their experiences with nose sizing.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    The RCBS or lyman can be used for nose sizing, its actually best as you can adjust the stop so that all are the same depth into the die, for the .30 cals. you will need a die under .300" depending on how thick the coating is going to be, needless to say the bullet is sized nose first.

Boolit Master
    Yes, this is a problem for some of us. I was lucky that my Lee mold, 309180, was undersize a bit in the nose section. After PC it was just right for my bore. I know that a Lyman 311299 was too big and an RCBS 165SIL was probably too much as well.

When I ordered my Accurate mold for the .308 I measured the bore carefully, then measured several bullets coated and uncoated. Used that information to specify the correct dimensions for the bore riding section.

I have to say that Accurate came through. The bullets fit perfectly first time out.

I have wanted to make a size die that would do the bore riding section at the same time as the base section. But, it would take some machine time and I don't have a lathe anymore. The issue with nose sizing separately is the base and nose are not held in alignment so one will be off center. Seating gas checks can cause the same kind of problem.

Boolit Master

I've nose size for only one boolit, the Arsenal 309-188GC-PC, a bore-rider designed for powder coating (base casts .308, nose .298). Smoke's Clear adds .002-.003 so to obtain my desired .310/.300, I'm only sizing down approx. .001 on both ends to fit the tight chamber of my Savage M10-LE. Btw: loaded to right at 2050 fps, boolit prints MOA (or, sometimes, slightly better) out to 300 yds.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Had the same problem as OP in 2 (marlins) out of
    7 30-30's. Got nose sizing bushings from NOE,
    problem solved but what a PITA!!!

Took Outpost 75's advice and got a mould that
    casts a different profile. One Marlin fixed and
    now a fine shooter.

Other important notes: The NOE neck expander
    plug allows almost any boolit to be seated more
    straight (negligible runout) in the long, thin neck
    of the 30-30. Add a taper crimp die and you now
    have the elements for much improved accuracy
    and ammo that fits in the tightest chambers
    (the other Marlin).

There are many threads on this site that
    deal with the peculiarities of the 30-30 and
    I would recommend Outpost 75's comments
    for further review.

You can just seat the boolit deeper. I got a fender washer, reamed it to the size I wanted and used it as a 'partial' nose sizer for the Marlin RD style mould. It only sized ~ 0.050" length of the nose and about 0.003 dia. - just enough to let the nose just touch the bore without jamming. I do get Accurate to undersize the nose of my moulds for PC thickness, just didn't do this one right. Anyway, washer trick works and increases accuracy - generally too much trouble for plinking stuff. So, normally just seat 50 thous. deeper. Wouldn't work for a true bore rider design. I tried the NOE nose sizing for 308W, PITA!!!!! Pounding the boolit out of the die completely messes up the nose.
    Whatever!