Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Tripod head adapter

Tripod head adapter

I have 2 Velbon tripods with the flat head and a thumb screw sticking up through the flat head to attach my spotter/camera to. Does anybody make a quick disconnect adapter to screw to the flat base of my tripod? I am not overly fumble fingered but I have darned near dropped my Kowa spotter on several occasions while trying to get the screw started into the spotter. Of course I will need the base to attach to the adapter but hopefully this will eliminate the near misses and trauma of dropping a spotter that I cant afford to replace. Or worse, dropping my shooting buddy's Swarovsky, which cost as much as a pretty good used car!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

You can make a set up that is easier with 1/4" X 1 1/2" aluminum. Make one plate that over hangs the head by 1" to bolt / screw to the head. In the ends clear of the head drill 2 1/4" clearance holes 1 front and 1 back on center line. another piece drilled and counter sunk for screw to hold to scope and 2 holes drilled and tapped to same spacing as first plate. screw in 1/4 20 flat heads tight. Now slide the 2 screws thru lower plate its held in place and use thumb screws or wing nuts to lock down.

not as simple is a t slot the scopes plate slides into and locks down.

Another way that would be fairly simple would be bolt a piece of brownells weaver scope rail blank to the head. cut of 2 lever type scope rings and bolt to flat stock with hole in center to bolt to scope. slide on and set levers to lock. One ring might be enough but I would use 2 for extra security.

Banned
    [QUOTE=murf205;4873756]I have 2 Velbon tripods with the flat head and a thumb screw sticking up through the flat head to attach my spotter/camera to. Does anybody make a quick disconnect adapter to screw to the flat base of my tripod? I am not overly fumble fingered but I have darned near dropped my Kowa spotter on several occasions while trying to get the screw started into the spotter. Of course I will need the base to attach to the adapter but hopefully this will eliminate the near misses and trauma of dropping a spotter that I cant afford to replace. Or worse, dropping my shooting buddy's Swarovsky, which cost as much as a pretty good used car![/QUOTE

post a photo of the spotting scope and the tripod system you have NOW. it SOUNDS like the tripods you have MIGHT be able to use a standard telescope attachment ring places on your spotting scope. But everything depends on the spotting scope you have.

A replacement tripod head can cost anywhere between 100$ to 500$ depending on what you want it to do. Their are 3 styles of tripod attachment plates these days.

may just be easier to talk to the company that made the spotting scopes and see what they say. Otherwise take a gander at b&h photo video and see what they have.

Boolit Master

There are tripods that have a quick disconnect. They use a square base about 2 1/2" that attaches to camera or spotting scope via the 1/4" screw. The square fits down in the tripod which has a release lever. The idea is to quickly chance cameras on the tripod provided both cameras have the square base pre-mounted. I have never seen anything like you want for a simple 1/4" screw mount.

Boolit Master
    Bogen used to make an inexpensive setup, I’ve used gear from Really Right Stuff for decades.

Boolit Master
    You might be able to cradle the scope on a range bag bottom up , and attach the tripod to the scope then set up the tripod with the scope already mounted.

Most likely your tripod head is removable. Look into a cheaper Arca Swiss compatible ball head. They are pretty common in the photography circles. The arca swiss style has a semi standard style of quick release plate. Pro level stuff can be pricey but you can find some like the Andoer or Neweer brand that are decent and well under $100. Be sure to see if there is a spec for weight, I like to buy one that is rated for a bit heavier than I intend to use.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Attachment 260085Attachment 260086Here is the tripod head and the spotter base. Pretty simple , just a bolt into a base, but Steven Rinella on the MeatEater show has me thinking about the rig he uses with the quick disconnect. I priced the tripod he uses and it is WAY out of my league. Boolit Head you are right about using one rated heavier because my Kowa spotter is pretty heavy for a 60mm.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    You might be able to cradle the scope on a range bag bottom up , and attach the tripod to the scope then set up the tripod with the scope already mounted.
    I have done that and it is a lot safer than dropping the spotter.

Boolit Master
    The manner in which a spotting scope is used is different than how a still camera is used.
    The use of a spotter is most like the panning capable heads used with heavier movie cameras.

You can see a lot of these heavy duty quick disconnect movie camera pan heads on eBay.

Manfrotto is one of the top brands. You can look at the product offerings of Manfrotto to give you an idea of what you might want. Then you might find a used or less expensive brand of panning tripod head with heavy duty quick disconnect plate capability.
    EDG