RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lubing swaged factory bullets

Banned

lubing swaged factory bullets

years ago when I first got a revolver and used lead bullets I ran across a few threads from someone who had shot PPC. He said that it was typical to lubricate bullets using oil cup grease sticks from Ford engine grease cups. also said to use a thin coating inside the barrel, just give it a day to film over.

Have not tried that, but using a thin coat of lithium grease on the tips of loaded rounds does great for the barrel insides, but nothing for the forcing cone.

And with spear 158 grain swc for 38s, they need some help despite the film lube speer uses. Despite the fact that they have a make believe cannelure on them, just how do you go about lubing up swaged bullets that don't have lube grooves

Boolit Master
    Lee liquid Alox
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

I would try BLL.

I use 45/45/10 and shoot many thousands per year. Works wonderfully.

Boolit Mold
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, you can effectively lube a swaged bullet (like the notoriously soft Speers) with 45-45-10 or something similar and greatly reduce or eliminate leading at moderate velocities? i have a couple boxes of Speer .430 bullets that I would like to load up for use in my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. I was wondering if White Label 45-45-10 would adhere well over the factory film lube?

I use BLL on all the old lazer and Remington lead bullets I had lying around recently as the hard lube was coming off. Seems to do the job.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, you can effectively lube a swaged bullet (like the notoriously soft Speers) with 45-45-10 or something similar and greatly reduce or eliminate leading at moderate velocities? i have a couple boxes of Speer .430 bullets that I would like to load up for use in my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. I was wondering if White Label 45-45-10 would adhere well over the factory film lube?
    So...I finally tried this after obtaining some White Label 45-45-10 lube. Put about 30 bullets in a Cool Whip container. That was easy. Then I "tried" to pour a small amount of lube into the container. Obviously, I got too much...I'm thinking I need to invest in an eye dropper or something similar to control the amount of lube...a small squeeze bottle, maybe? Swished 'em around a bit...and it made the most obnoxious black, gooey mess I've seen. Apparently, the 45-45-10 acted as a solvent and loosened up the lube film that Speer uses. Kept on adding bullets and agitating them, till they started to look "right." Poured them out onto a sheet of wax paper. That was yesterday...I'll check them tonight to see how well they are coated and how well them have dried.
    This is not to disparage White Label at all...I need to refine my technique. Will update when I have more info.

It's hard to put the right amount of lube in a tub. First, do more bullets at a session; I usually lube about 150. That makes it easier to not use too much lube. Second, try using a teaspoon to measure lube. A little less than a level teaspoon is about right for 150 45 caliber bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Lee liquid Alox
    Using a very small amount. If the LLA is thick put bottle in cup/small pan of hot tap water for 10 minutes. It gets runny and applying a real thin coat is easy. By thin I mean a light yellow brown tint is all that is needed. Let dry thoroughly before using the bullets. Once one learns to use LLA correctly [a thin coat] then thinning the LLA with mineral spirits isn't necessary unless the LLA has thickened up from age. Then I add just a bit of mineral spirits and stir shake until it is back to it's normal thickness.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Even though they are soft, they should not lead the barrel, that is frequently the fault of loading process. Improper expander size or resizing too small will allow a soft bullet to swage during seating. Then you get leading. Try unresized shells for comparison. You'll be amazed

Boolit Grand Master

And keep your loads in the 700 fps to 800 fps range .
    Speer shows data with a few loads @ 900 + fps but I believe they are too soft and would stick to 850 fps max .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Even though they are soft, they should not lead the barrel, that is frequently the fault of loading process. Improper expander size or resizing too small will allow a soft bullet to swage during seating. Then you get leading. Try unresized shells for comparison. You'll be amazed
    That sounds like a decent experiment. Would there be any issue with obtaining a firm crimp? If these unsized cases were fired in some other firearm...they may not fit the firearm used. I can see where a certain amount of control of the variables is in order.

Boolit Master
    No problem with a good crimp. Yes the unsized cases are best when originally fired in your gun.

"If it fits, it ships"

Boolit Master
    I bought 4 boxes of 500 110 grain 32-20 hard cast bullets. One box has gotten wet and some but not all have the lead oxide coating mainly on the noses in that box. being cheap due to the small amount of corrosion on each bullet I tried a shop rag to remove the corrosion. What little corrosion wiped off easily. The bullets them selves were lubes with a sticky blue lube. Had a couple bottles of Lee bullet lube.Stuck20 of the corroded ones in asmall tub and previously had cleaned off the corrosion. I dribbled in some of the Lee bullet lube and shook the tub for a few minutes.First time I used the bullet lube in a bottle. They are sitting in a wax paper covered tray. So tomorrow I should find out how well the lube coated the bullets. And I don't yet even own a 32-20. Frank

Boolit Master
    Would make nice plinker or training loads in many of the 30 cal arms. Low noise, low recoil, good for youngsters or new shooters getting used to a center fire rifle.

Boolit Master
    I also one time pored from the bottle of my 45/45/10 and got way way to much. Now I just heat my lube up in a tub of hot water til like water and pore out a little bit in the cap that came off of the lube Bottle. Way easier to just get a little bit.

Boolit Grand Master

I too use 45-45-10 and alox for some of my cast bullets. But I don't like the appearance of the "brown noses" and get an even coat when I dip lube. A technique I learned from Ranch Dog and while it may be considered too slow by some I much prefer the results. I warm the lube (or if using alox, thin it) and pour into a small container, grab a bullet by the nose and dip deep enough to cover the entire bearing surface then set on aluminum foil, on their bases, to dry. Works well for me and no sticky fingers handling finished rounds...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When I shot PPC and bullseye I used Johnson Glo-Coat liquid floor wax, this was before Lee Liquid Alox came out. Put 1000 .38 wadcutters or 500 .45 wadcutters in a .30 cal. ammo can. Pour in one Chock-Full-O-Nuts coffee scoop of liquid Glo-Coat into the can, snap the lid closed, then gently agitate the can end to end ten times, then roll over and tip side to side ten times, give a gentle lengthwise shake, pop the lid open and rest a 10-inch box fan across the can opening and let blow into the can for 8 hours. Snap the lid shut, repeat the agitation, then pour the contents out onto a plastic bucket lid to finish air-drying.

Same process can be used with Lee Liquid Alox, except that you DILUTE the LLA with equal parts by liquid volume of Stoddard Solvent, Varsol or aliphatic mineral spirits.

After having used the can four lube cycles, you can skip the Alox on every 5th load and just use a shot of solvent only and agitate the bullets to dissolve the accumulated lube on the sides of the ammo can.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Myself, lacking a Chock-Full-o-Nuts coffee scoop, use a 1/4 tsp measure with 2 pounds of boolits.
    Tumble in a Cool-Whip tub, let dry on a sheet of wax paper (I use the inner liner from a breakfast cereal box). Repeat another coat.

Load and shoot.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    If anyone remembers "Alberts Swaged Lead Bullets", these things are dead soft, impact swaged, no Lube grooves, old school boolits!!! So, having a box or two of these things, i decided to use BLL on them, boy, that made a black mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT, when the second coat was applied, no more mess! They load and shoot wonderfully in .38 spcl. loads with Trailboss!!! And no leading in the barrels of three different guns!!! When the One-Step wax was available, i bought up 4 cans, and have 4 bottles of LLA,so have a lifetime supply of BLL components. (i haven't made a dent in the first bottle i made.) BLL works, plain and simple. I even over-coated some factory cast boolits with that blue lube in the grooves just as a precaution. Of course, there's always good ole Johnson Paste Wax. I've used it, JPW, over Hi-Tek coating, even! Hahahaha!!!! Probably overkill, but, boy that barrel was clean! Lots of ways to lube factory swaged bullets, pick whatever works for you and go for it!!! Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast