MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Win Mag with IMR4350 or H4350

300 Win Mag with IMR4350 or H4350

Hi guys...It looks like we don't have a General Reloading Questions forum...so I chose here. If its in the wrong place...Moderator...please move.

I am planning to start reloading the 300 Win Mag with my Son-In-Law next week. I'm waiting on a shell holder and brass right now...so no real rush for this info.

I plan to load him up with either IMR-4350 or H-4350 (both on hand)...I liked what I saw in the loading tables for H1000 also but I'd have to go buy a pound to try.

Does anyone have a pet load using IMR4350 or H4350? I plan on stuffing a Remington 180gr Bronze Point bullet on top...its a good old bullet but I never had good luck with them in my 308Win. The OAL was too long due to the length of the bullet Ogive and it wouldn't fit my magazine of my Sav 99C but it should work great in a bolt action 300WM. (Rem M700)

Anyway...let me know what you think...I'm planning to load in the 68gr range for IMR4350 for starters...unless you can convince me otherwise of a better load.

Much appreciation in advance.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

There are loads for it.
    And I'm a big IMR 4350 fan.

However:
    Back when I was doing .300Mag, I kept coming back to the slower IMR 4831.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There are loads for it.
    And I'm a big IMR 4350 fan.

However:
    Back when I was doing .300Mag, I kept coming back to the slower IMR 4831.
    That's what I have found to work the best for me also , that case has plenty of room in it . But don't worry it won't take long before you will need more powder .

Yeah...I realize I get about 100 rounds per pound. I appreciate the recommendation. I'll do some more research on 4831.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    My load for MY 300 win mag approch with caution : 72 grs. IMR4350 winchester western 180 gr. powerpoint , CCI 250 mag primer, various brass. the rifle is a converted US mil 1917 pattern 17 custom rerchambered to 300 win mag. chrony test info high vel. 2948 low vel. 2861 extreme spread of 87 fps. average deviation is 19.5 fps over the 10 rds. tested best group that I shot was 3/4" at 300 yds. that day I was really on. I have a lot of money tied up in this rifle and it is not a factory item. my sons fact rifle does not preform near like this one. forgot to add that my rifle weights in at 14 lbs.
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 04-10-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Appreciated tdoor...my SIL isn't a big man either (5'4" and 140lbs)...so I may have to play with slightly reduced loads. I'll be playing around with it for sure. I already told him its gonna knock him off the bench and jump on him when he's down.

It will be interesting for sure to see him squeeze that trigger.

redhawk

Boolit Buddy
    For multiple 300 Win Mag guns, tested IMR and H 4350 and H 4831 , settled on H4831SC, this was the best load for my guns with a 200 grain Barnes bullet for elk hunting, we had good grouping from 100 to 400 yards. Great bullet with good retention. Spend a lot of time developing loads and chamber checking for COL. Used Federal Magnum Rifle primers. Good luck on your quest.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve used 4831 for the 180-200gr class and H1000 for the heavier stuff with good results when I was shooting 300WM

I’d recoil sensitive, 300 WM might not be the place to start.

Cast Hunter

IMR 4831 and Reloader 22 worked the best for me with 180-200 gn bullets. Actually if you can find it, Norma 205 (discontinued) provided amazing accuracy with Barnes LRX.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Moderator Emeritus

I moved your thread to a better section.

I prefer a slower powder for the Belted Magnums that I've reloaded.
    I came across a deal on several cans of IMR7828 at a gunshow and have good success with it, but I've used heavier bullets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I moved your thread to a better section.

I prefer a slower powder for the Belted Magnums that I've reloaded.
    I came across a deal on several cans of IMR7828 at a gunshow and have good success with it, but I've used heavier bullets.
    Appreciated...I didn't put it here since its not a CB Load.

Thanx for the info about slower powders. I'm still taking it all in. This is my first belted 30 to reload. It should be an interesting ride.

redhawk

Boolit Grand Master

Ive used IMR 4831 in 300 win mag for years with excellent results. It dosnt respond as well for lighter loads. needs the pressure to burn clean and efficiently.

If recoil sensitive or a new shooter maybe start out with a light cast bullet load, something around a 180 grn at 1500-1800 fps. This will get him started and used to the rifle and not beat up as bad. Also make sure he has all the eye relief available, especially if using full power loads.

Boolit Master
    You might see if you can borrow or let him try a 30-06 using full power loads . Its a little less than 300wm but it will get the job done on elk with out a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    4831sc for me too. uncle mike

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Appreciated tdoor...my SIL isn't a big man either (5'4" and 140lbs)...so I may have to play with slightly reduced loads. I'll be playing around with it for sure. I already told him its gonna knock him off the bench and jump on him when he's down.

It will be interesting for sure to see him squeeze that trigger.

redhawk
    If he is recoil sensitive have him shoot it standing where he has some give rather than off the bench, unless you want to buy the gun cheap.
    Unless he is going after elk you would be much better served loading it to 308 or 30-06 levels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Another trick for practice or pinking loads is to drop the bullet weight down. I have loaded 125 grn-130 grn in the 300 win mag to get off season practice on wood chucks with my number 1. Also here the 4350 will be more appropriate powder. They are easier on back stops and recoil is lighter than my load with 180 grn nosler partitions. The bullets are also considerably cheaper. A lighter bullet even in the 150-165 range will be less recoil than the heavies.

Agreed...yes...he is planning a trip to CO later in the year for an Elk hunt. Even though he's smaller in stature he may not be that sensitive to recoil. I'll have to see. I have a 30-06 but I'm a southpaw where he shoots right-handed. I'm sure I can find a '06 that he could borrow though. My brother has one of my dad's '06s (Win 70) that he doesn't use....so it might be a possibility.

He found this Rem 700 topped with a Leupold 3-9x for $650 out the door. He was specifically looking for an Elk rifle and he felt the 300WM fit the bill....and it does...but I think he's in for a surprise when he touches it off the first time. My guess is that he'll be selling it in short time. But then again....he may surprise me.

In any event...I'm going to teach him basic reloading methods on his own full power loads in the 300WM...so the time spent at the bench won't be wasted.

redhawk

Banned
    Go to the Hodgdon website. A zillion 300 win mag loads. Remington Bronze Points look kool but have a poor record on big game. Accubond or Barnes LRX are far better choices.

Boolit Master
    The great thing about producing your own custom ammunition is you can make what you want . He might be better served loading his 300 down to 30-06 levels . A few things to consider .
    Lighter bullets produce less recoil . I have a Speer 130 gr hollow point load I shoot a lot with very little recoil .
    Try a variety of different bullets styles , brands , and weighs to find what his rifle prefers to make it a shooter that he enjoys shooting .
    I'm to far along in life to start over with to much powder on hand , but I should have in the 80s worked with military surplus powder .

Moderator Emeritus

If he is hunting Elk I would stick with 180 gr bullets and buy either flavor of 4831.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast