Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Finding the barrel vibration sweet spot

Boolit Buddy

Finding the barrel vibration sweet spot

The latest edition of the Single Shot Exchange (SSE) magazine included an article titled, Minimizing Barrel Bounce off Cross Sticks – Finding the Sweet Spot. If you do not subscribe to the SSE and are interested in the details, I just posted the article at the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/Minimizing_...weet_Spot.html

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Neat idea! I do it like this.

Interesting. Would the same method work on say, a winchester 76 or 86?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Interesting. Would the same method work on say, a winchester 76 or 86?
    I reckon it might - gonna try it on my 76 anyway - also gonna pull the full magazine off and put a short one on for a try - that gun is shooting heavy boolits quite well (up to 500grain single loaded - DT sparked my interest in that) does it well so long as I can keep the barrel temperature SAME from shot to shot - otherwise it walks a line up the target - and I have been shooting rested on the forend wood - usually hold and rest my knuckles on the bag to cushion it - so give a couple weeks and I report back

I changed out the full magazine a few months back to eliminate the forward hanger and its better but not fixed

If you want to play with this stuff - can buy chinese curtain rod material in the home decorator shops that is identical OD to the winchester and repro brand magazine tubes - both for 44/40 and 45/70 sized rounds - strip the plastic coating off with a propane torch - or scrape and sand to save from softening the steel - blue it and yr good to go - nodody would pick it from the outside - just thinner wall is all.

How's that foot healing up? Getting around a bit more?

WOW! I dun did learn sumpin. I have a Pedersoli Quigley that I haven't shot in a while and a Browning Hi Wall. I shall be thumping a couple of barrels i think.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    How's that foot healing up? Getting around a bit more?
    yeah slowly improving thanks - a bit of impatience creeping into the process - I was a pretty effective pedestrian before it - long way to go yet - spent a couple weeks building fence before easter - half day was the best I could do. Lots of people getting around worse than me and have no prospect of improvement.

Been foolin round with a little 310 martini the last couple of days - was part of my Dads estate and we thought to give it to a museum - but he had a box of 50 rounds with it and another 50 emptys - cant send live rounds to the museum so we (me and son) shot half em off -- hey his thing shoots - not goin to the museum!