MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaned Cases - Inside

Boolit Buddy

Question Cleaned Cases - Inside

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, if not - Mod please relocate to proper location.

Question for the members:

I found this material in a group of R-P, Rem-Umc brass, 45LC, after cleaning. These were range pickup brass,
    This is after brass was cleaned with Lemishine, Dawn, Water & SS Pins.

The stuff is not brittle and comes out easily with a cloth mop or brush. Don't understand why the pins did not remove it.
    As they were range pickups, I don't have any idea what type of bullet, powder or lube was used.

Does anyone have any possible idea what it is and cause? Could this possibly be from firing improperly polymer coated bullets?
    Thank you.

FOLLOW UP - 4/16/2020
    Gentlemen:

I managed to find a few more cases with the same material inside. These had not been cleaned. I have added 2 photo's of what I scrapped out from the inside.
    The material is very thin, almost translucent, very soft and light gray in color. It extends about half way into the case. On the first 2 photo's it looked black, I think, because of being tumbled in the dirty black water with the pins.
    If anyone has ran into this same thing and has another idea please let us know. Thanks for everyone's reply - that is what makes this forum such a good source of information. GJH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45 LC-1.jpg   45 LC-2.jpg   IMG_5116.jpg   IMG_5116a.jpg  
    Last edited by tchepone; 04-16-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Add Photo
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Can you scrape some out on a paper so we can see what it is?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I've found some range brass has spider web stuff inside. I don't use pins, but tumbling in fine corncob media doesn't remove that stuff.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Paper wasps.

Boolit Grand Master

45 Colt? Possibly black powder residue? (is black powder water soluble?). Unless someone has had the exact same problem, it is very difficult to figger out...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

"Looks like" dry media that was "polluted" with wet polish that got in those cases BEFORE the wet polish had a chance to distribute itself throughout the dry media. I got that when I put brass in dry media and THEN (palm to face) added wet polish. It does come out easily though.

Is EVERY Case so afflicted?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Can you scrape some out on a paper so we can see what it is?
    Will do - if I still have some.

Banned

I have had tumbling media stick in cases like that when I used a liquid polishing media with the walnut but you said that you used wet pins so not likely.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had the same thing happen have no idea what it is and I dried tumble
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Paper wasps.
    I think you nailed it.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    If it's black could it be asphalt bullet sealant used with jacketed bullets in factory loads?

Boolit Grand Master

I'd see what happens if I tumble dry, with no media...

Jes another WAG
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I'll still bet its paper wasps that made that mess. Could be Mason bees too, they love tubes!

Boolit Buddy
    I edited the original post of 4/9/2020 and added additional information. Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I'll still bet its paper wasps that made that mess. Could be Mason bees too, they love tubes!
    It is surely some type of insect nesting material. The new pictures make me think it's NOT spider webs, as I originally thought. I have built a house for mason bees, they are technically known as Solitary Wasps, many of them use mud to pack the holes, hence the nickname Mason bee, but some of them will make a paper type nest. I don't think the Colony style Paper Wasps would start a nest in a tube, AKA: brass case.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Pins would have cleaned that stuff out if it was some sort of bug nest. Could it be glue or something if the guy made snake shot?

Boolit Master
    I read a post not to long ago where the reloader inserted into the cartridge case a chunk of packing material similar to styrofoam peanuts to keep the powder pressed to the flash hole.

I’ve recently received a package the contained cylinders of a packing material that is very low density puffed material like Cheesies snacks, they did not feel like typical styrofoam.

Maybe the crud found on those range pick ups is fouling residue left over from this type of packing peanuts.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 04-17-2020 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by tchepone View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, if not - Mod please relocate to proper location.

Question for the members:

I found this material in a group of R-P, Rem-Umc brass, 45LC, after cleaning. These were range pickup brass,
    This is after brass was cleaned with Lemishine, Dawn, Water & SS Pins.

The stuff is not brittle and comes out easily with a cloth mop or brush. Don't understand why the pins did not remove it.
    As they were range pickups, I don't have any idea what type of bullet, powder or lube was used.

Does anyone have any possible idea what it is and cause? Could this possibly be from firing improperly polymer coated bullets?
    Thank you.

FOLLOW UP - 4/16/2020
    Gentlemen:

I managed to find a few more cases with the same material inside. These had not been cleaned. I have added 2 photo's of what I scrapped out from the inside.
    The material is very thin, almost translucent, very soft and light gray in color. It extends about half way into the case. On the first 2 photo's it looked black, I think, because of being tumbled in the dirty black water with the pins.
    If anyone has ran into this same thing and has another idea please let us know. Thanks for everyone's reply - that is what makes this forum such a good source of information. GJH

Looks like someone was shooting wax bullets. RP loads for those although you have to special order them.

ACC

Could that be dacron? A lot of people using powders that don't fill a lot of volume of a case use dacron to keep the powder down near the flash hole...
    WWG1WGA

read a post not to long ago where the reloader inserted into the cartridge case a chunk of packing
    material similar to styrofoam peanuts to keep the powder pressed to the flash hole.
    See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=533432
    (I'll go drag the photo into another host and upload later)
    In any case (pun intended) the corn starch literally turns to dust
    -- so that's not problem -- in this case (did I say pun?)

Pure Corn Starch/Turns to Dust on firing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458-Win-Home-Depot-Peanut.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	260632
    Last edited by mehavey; 04-18-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast