Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deburr primer flash hole inside new Starline brass (handgun cart)

Banned

Deburr primer flash hole inside new Starline brass (handgun cart)

Do you deburr primer flash hole inside starline handgun brass ?

Boolit Master

I deburr all flash holes, pistol, revolver or rifle. Not sure about accuracy benefits but it do save a decapping pin now and again. james

Looking at the five gallon buckets of handgun cases in my shop makes me shudder at the thought of even thinking about deburring any of them. My answer is NO, I've never in 57 years of reloading ever deburred a handgun case. Not even when I was shooting on the Department Pistol Team did I ever consider doing that.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Cast Boolits Owner

I do on occasion and mostly rifle at that but now that I have more time on my hands.....
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy

No, not worth the my time.
    I just looked at my new 10mm and 44 mag brass from Starline and the all look pretty much the same inside.
    I know bullseye shooters used to prep their brass flash holes. I don't need that extreme accuracy potential.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Banned
    I just debuured flash holes of my new starline .44 spl. brass .... I could feel there were some big burrs in many of them

Boolit Master
    My good rifle brass gets the works , but I’m not that good a shot with the short guns . They wiggle around quite a bit .

I do all rifle

Boolit Master

I do all of the cases for my bench guns, also uniform the primer pockets for them as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Never have in 50 years ...too late for me to start now .
    But I'm not very anal or ocd about flash holes ...so I would say if you think it's good...Do It , ain't going to hurt anything and it will give you something to do during the Great Shutdown of 2020 .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I've never in 57 years of reloading ever deburred a handgun case
    I have never found it necessary to deburr a rifle case, I have the tools JIC but somehow the cases with burrs have escaped me.

There is a remote chance the bevel does something to aid the flash. I do have a flash hole diameter gage.

F. Guffey

Boolit Master
    I deburr rifle cases if I trying for max accuracy but never pistol.

Boolit Master
    For shooting past 150 yards, slight accuracy gains MAY be noticed for rifles, 100 yards and under not so so much. The closer the range, the less velocity variation plays into impact point. Deburring flashholes is to improve powder ignition consistency by the primer flame, hus reducing velocity variation. The longer the range, the greater velocity variation affects impact point. Defense or hunting gets the flashhole deburred to insure it open and clear. I have seen military ammo missing flashholes - LC76 5.56 - of course they were misfires. Flashholes, dimensions, other qualities in more modern brass have improved a great deal from the 70's and 80's.

Boolit Mold
    I've deburred all my rifle brass, and I did some pistol brass (IMI) for my 44 Magnum. I never bothered with other pistol brass (9mm, 40, 38, etc.).

It definitely won't hurt anything if you're wanting to do so.

Thanks to our Moderator [U]ReloaderFred[/U who in Post No 3 of this thread summed the subject up very well. Additional thanks to gwpercle in Post No 10 who referenced OCD disorder and Anal Retentive disorder. We enjoy a useful and productive hobby but we need to recognize the difference between practical and just being "reloading loonies".
    regards,

Boolit Grand Master

I do rifle but not pistol. Well, for my bolt guns but not for my AR or H&K's. I can't prove that it helps but it makes me feel good.

Boolit Grand Master

For my match ammo I uniform primer pockets and deburr the flash holes on all brass. I do this when its new. I find better numbers on extreme spread and Standard Deviation on the loads. I do cut a uniform bevel in the cases also.

I think it would be hard to see the improvement at 100-300 yds but 600 out you do. But then anything that gives you confidence in the load gives an improvement.

Its not a big chore and I have made my own tools using a center drill. no driver handle but a lever type handle and a couple quick spins its done. On some cases its amazing the amount of burr cut out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kerr View Post
    Thanks to our Moderator [U]ReloaderFred[/U who in Post No 3 of this thread summed the subject up very well. Additional thanks to gwpercle in Post No 10 who referenced OCD disorder and Anal Retentive disorder. We enjoy a useful and productive hobby but we need to recognize the difference between practical and just being "reloading loonies".
    There is nothing wrong with being crazy, as long as you're not also being stupid.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Do the full course on my Bench rest rifles. Not on handgun or plinking brass.

Banned
    very telling....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast