Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lubrication of a Ruger Single Action

Quote Originally Posted by Blkpwdrbuff View Post
    Bazoo, how did you strip the grip frame and trigger?
    I really like the looks of it and would like to get it done to a few of mine.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    The gun is a New Model Flattop Blackhawk 44 Special. It comes with a steel grip frame that's of the XR3 size. I've converted it to the XR3-RED frame by fitting a new stainless steel grip frame to the gun.

The original gun has a stainless steel trigger and hammer. The trigger is original, but the hammer has been replaced with a standard blued BlackHawk hammer. I did this because the ears on the replacement grip frame were smaller than the originals and the round portion of the hammer protruded too much to suit me, plus I happened to have a standard BlackHawk hammer. The hammer is an older one.

There was some changes to shape of the ears on Blackhawks in the 90s best I recall, with larger ears becoming the norm. The grip frame I bought was a brand new one from Midway.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Bazoo,
    My .41 mag is a 1980 vintage.
    I see where Midway is out of the stainless steel frame.
    I'll keep searching.
    The trigger doesn't bother me if it's blued.
    Was there a bunch of fitting required? Some frome the Midway site said yes others no.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

It depends on what one's definition of a bunch is. The grip frame was proud on both sides on both the bottom and the ears by about 3/64". The ears were taller than the area they mate to by about 1/16", so they have to be shortened, and they also need to be profiled to match the hammer. This was the hardest part. It needed no fitting to get the screws to line up or to mate to the frame.

I have about 8 hours into fitting the frame so far, and it's not all the way done. It's closer than factory aluminum frames, but not perfect. I stopped after 3 or 4 days of tinkering on it for a break and haven't gotten back to it yet. I'd guess there is another 3-4 hours left to get it just right.

So was it a bunch? eh.. not really, it's just time consuming to not make a mistake. I attached mine with 2 or 3 screws, then removed it, filed a while, and reattached to check. After I got close, I started using sandpaper on a backer, and checked more often. After I got very close, I installed all 5 screws each time I check. It does wear your screws to install them 100 times, so if you don't like that look, get replacement screws right from the start. I've never replaced mine, but probably will at some point.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 11-27-2023 at 07:26 PM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy

That doesn't sound bad to me.
    I'm retired and this will be a good project.
    I just ordered mine from Brownells.com. Had a 15% off coupon, plus it was in stock.
    Saved about $30 over Midway, and they were out of stock.
    Thanks again.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123