Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Lyman shipping parts outside of US - shipping fees gone crazy.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman shipping parts outside of US - shipping fees gone crazy.

Well folks I called Lyman today to get a part (small wood knob 12 gauge mold) replaced on one of my molds. The part was only $1.25 plus shipping.

When I told the clerk I am from Canada, she claimed there has been a change in policy and the lowest rate for Lyman now to ship to Canada and some other foreign counties is $65.00 US.

I hate to say it as I have purchased a lot of Lyman products (especially molds) over the years, but I guess if you don't live in the US you might be cautious purchasing Lyman products in the future as you will not be able to afford to get them repaired or replaced reasonably.

I guess it is time to check out all the other great mold makers out there.

Cheers and stay safe my friends.

Boolit Master

Don't blame Lyman, blame the UN. ITAR certification was their baby.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    ITAR is strictly a US endeavour, it has nothing to do with the UN.

It also has nothing to do with Lyman bullet moulds, or any other hand loading equipment, all that stuff is specifically exempted from ITAR.

Also ITAR has been around since Bill Clinton was president, and has recently been relaxed for commerical firearms under Trump, so blaming Lyman's new policy on it falls in the category of "not bloody likely".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

What? I've been ordering molds from Buffalo Arms, NOE, Accurate molds and few other place. Never on my casting "career" haven't pay that much for shipping fees. And I'm in other side of world. In Finland. Noe's shipping fees are about 35$ Accurate are less than that... it is few years when I last ordered from Accurate but I bet those fees aren't much over 30$.. Does some knob goes to ITAR when molds doesn't?

Boolit Buddy
    It is definitely a Lyman policy for whatever reason.

I was going to buy a .662 conical mold from Lyman but I guess I will look elsewhere to the many of the other fine dealers out there. I have seen a Russian double cavity online that is something like 80 bucks with free shipping. Double cavity too. Might have to check that one out.

Stay safe folks.

Boolit Master
    ya this ITAR rules thing makes no sense, stuff that should be on list isn't, stuff isn't should be, its not like the items on the list cant be found elsewhere. Canada customs doesn't care how much reloading stuff you want to buy/import but US customs says none in possession. So why cant it be purchased pay huge hazmat fees have it shipped (not in possession of non resident to purchaser) and support our habit and the business community. Its not like it cant be purchased elsewhere, it just not as convienient to buy off continent say Europe or Finland due to language differences.

Boolit Master
    I'll tell you bad ITAR is. It restricts me from teaching the NRA's Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course to Canadian citizens. Never realized I had a dangerous weapon between my ears. Crazy!

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Lads. I find it hard to believe a wooden knob would be covered by ITAR - oh well.

I just ordered a double cavity .662 mold for 65 bucks shipped - not from Lyman.

Live and learn.

Happy Easter everyone.

Cheers,

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I have bought ,loading dies (2 sets of cowboy dies ) and ,a heap of on sale shotgun rubber recoil pads (12ea ) direct from Lyman a couple of years ago on seperate occasions .Late last year I wanted to get two lubrisizer dies ,so I enquired from Lyman ,$78 US to Australia ,the cost of the dies was less than the postage .I sent an email back asking if the postage wss correct and the reply wss "yes" .I cancelled the order .Strange how Natchez sell the Lyman dies cheaper than Lyman and thier postage is way less .Ive always had excellent service from Natchez.Ive been buying 3/4 " drill rod and making my own sizing dies lately ,for less than 78US dollars I can get half a meter of drill rod and get a good number of sizing dies out of that with a bit of my time.