Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I accidentally bought a .380 Now I need mold suggestions

Boolit Master

I accidentally bought a .380 Now I need mold suggestions

I have actively resisted owning any guns in .380 acp for years. It's not that I dislike the caliber, but I have no need to add another caliber to the pile. Nearly all the cool historical handguns chambered in .380, were also made in .32 acp, of which I load a ton. So I see a FN Model 1922 on Gunbroker about to sell CHEAP. It's in decent shape, and Nazi marked from WW2. With only a few minutes left, I quickly bid. I just assumed it was a .32 acp. Nope. .380. Got it shipped for $325, which I feel is a deal.

So what mold do you guys prefer? I have 115, 124, and 147 gr 9MM molds, but the internet says over 100 is no good. I don't plan to shoot this gun much, so a Lee mold might cut it. Then again, now that I broke the seal, I will probably have 5 more .380's by next year.
    Last edited by Hanzy4200; 04-08-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Master

Here's the pistol in question, for those interested
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix470770952.jpg  

Boolit Master

Like you I load a lot of .32ACP for my Savage 1907 & Walther PP.

My Dad however liked the .380 in a FN 1910 & Colt 1903/8. He used the Lyman #356242 in the 90gr version w/bullseye.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

My 380 loves the LEE 356-102-2R mold. Never a failure to cycle...so far.

[EDIT] - and...that's a sweet looking pistol you got there.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I won a Gee Bee auction a while back for what Seller said was an FN '22 in .380, it arrived, and was in .32, Lol...

Well, it was a very nice one, so who cares, I am happy with it!...so...time passes and I finally got an FN '22 in .380, and so I also am meditating now about Molds, and Loadings so as to have fun with it..so I will follow this thread and see what all everyone else is doing with .380 and Cast..!

Somehow we now have three 380 handguns in my house. The Lee mold, cast from range lead, Powder coated and sized. 356 on top of 2.8 grain of WW 231 works like a dream in the LCP, Kahr CW 380 and the Glock 42.
    It is time for the taxpayers in this country to impose term limits at the ballot box. Vote all encumbents out every election, no matter which party. It is time they remember who they work for and who pays the bills.

That's a very nice looking pistol, Hanzy4200. I resisted .380 ACP for lots of years, but eventually went for a Beretta M1934. After that they just seemed to show up, and last count there were 6.

Boolit Grand Master

While I dont cast for 380 acp I do load for it both cast and copper plated. I use the Oregon trial 100 grn round nose cast and Rainer 100 grn RN copper plated. These I load to duplicate the zero of the rem golden saber 102 grn load ( my carry load in 380). Its very accurate in both my sig 238 and Walther ppks.

I played around with 380 and tuning for accuracy work and it was a very accurate combination. I have played with the idea of building a 1911 in 380 and with a 6" barrel for a few years now.

One thing to watch for with the heavy bullets in the 380 case is the inner taper will get you at some point, The bullets sit deeper into the case where the walls thicken creating a bulge that may cause chambering problems. Most 380 ammo is with 80-90 grn bullets. The short case length coupled with longer bullets may create a small problem

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Like you I load a lot of .32ACP for my Savage 1907 & Walther PP.

My Dad however liked the .380 in a FN 1910 & Colt 1903/8. He used the Lyman #356242 in the 90gr version w/bullseye.
    Sounds like a good plinking load. I have a '07 Savage also. Love that little thing. Such a unique design. I am eyeing a wartime marked PP at the moment. I love mouse guns, and I love WW2 history, so when the two meet I can't help myself. Really hunting a Mauser 1914 .32 that has the Kriegsmarine stamping. Those little suckers are salty!

Boolit Master

I accidentally bought a .380 Now I need mold suggestions

I have an original Colt Government 380 and a S&W Bodyguard 380 and both are quite fond of this mold from Miha.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-358-93-hp-pb/

Bonus, he has one in stock and it’s 20% off.

Boolit Bub
    Define cheap? Under $300?

Most .380 autos love a good 90-100 grain bullet. I usually run a plated bullet due to the low volume I shoot.

Years ago I cast a 90gr. 2 cavity RCBS for .380.

It did well in handguns, and never had a problem in a suppressed Mac 11.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-08-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I bought the RCBS 90 g RN. My girlfriend's Browning 380 is very accurate with them. I use Hitek coating and size to .356

Boolit Master
    I load .380 ACP for a Bersa and a Colt Mustang. The Lee 356-102-1R and Lyman 356242 (90 gr) work great. I size to .358.

Boolit Grand Master
    No idea on the molds, I haven't ventured that far with my .380's yet.

However, .380 pistols may be the most prolific caliber in captivity. Mine seem to multiply faster than .22 rifles.

Robert

Boolit Master

Lee 95 grain rf, hands down. Seat it shorter than you think and it will run like butter in all of my 380's, from tcp to hi-point carbine. Powder coated and over a medium charge of CFE Pistol is very accurate (consistent 8" standing groups from 40 yards with a Bersa thunder, back when I was playing with that gun a lot) and that flat nose is plumb lethal.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

I load the Lee 358 - 105 - SWC
    Even though it says SWC it's more a truncated cone and feeds well in my brothers 380 acp and 4 different 9mm Lugers . Good accuracy with this boolit in all when sized .357 .
    I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this one in semi-auto's .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have a few in 380 and started my loading with 100gr plated Xtreme and am now casting the Lee 356-102-R1 because it casts well and shoots great. I also tried the Lyman 356242 and the Lee 356-95-FP which the 92gr. 242 bullet was a bit more accurate than the 95gr FP.

I have a bunch of the Lee 356-102-R1 sitting on my bench right now and and as was offered to me by a member if you like I could send you some to try loading. I will have to lube and size them first but the offer is there as a pay it forward.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee 356 102 aswell. It works very well in my wife's 380

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I did a quick Interweb search for the 6 cavity, aluminum, Ranch Dog TL358-100-RF, which my pair of 380 ACP Walther PPK digest with reliable precision. This specific mold isn't made anymore, of which I am aware, but others have posted that there are similar molds - StuBach's link looks promising and similar.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast