MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Dies with larger diameter expanders for cast lead boolits ?

Banned

Handgun Dies with larger diameter expanders for cast lead boolits ?

What Dies manufacturers have the handgun larger diameter expander or expander die for cast lead boolits?

I know RCBS has the "cowboy expander" . I think its Lyman that has a larger expander? (M?) Does the M die actually have a larger diameter expander for cast lead boolits?

what about Lee?

I know Redding does not have a larger expander for .45 colt. I asked them

Can some one also tell me what the actual measurement diameter of the .45 colt lyman-M expander is ? And if they have more than 1 larger size for .45colt ?

final question: what does the (M) stand for with the lyman dies? (M for Mucho?)

Banned
    Doing some more reading.... The Lyman M die doesnt sound like it is designed properly

I dont have and lyman or Lee dies

I can measure my .45 Colt Lyman M-die later, but the Lyman expanders are all I use. They are fantastic and have a "step" diameter that assists in lead boolit loading without shaving lead on the case mouth. I did not have as much luck with standard RCBS expander dies, and Hornady does not work well at all in my experience.

You can't go wrong with the Lyman M-die. I even use them for bottleneck cartridge loads even with jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master

What press are you loading on? If it's a Dillon or Hornady progressive there are custom PTX and powder funnels that work quite well with cast bullets.

NOE makes some excellent expanders that fit in a Lee universal expander die.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    My .45 colt dies are Redding.... Playing with my RCBS .44 cowboy expander in my Redding .45 colt die, looks like I can get a $6 doller RCBS .45 cowboy .452 expander and it will fit my Redding .45 die

My lyman m-die in 45c only measured .448”. I don’t know if it was just a bad die, if it wore down, or they are all that size. I now use noe expanders in the lee universal expanding die on everything. With these you can get exactly what you are looking for.

Edited to add; my lyman m-die in 38-357 measure .356” which is what I would expect it to be.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned
    Noe expanders with Lee universal die
    ok.....

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Anonym View Post
    I can measure my .45 Colt Lyman M-die later, but the Lyman expanders are all I use. They are fantastic and have a "step" diameter that assists in lead boolit loading without shaving lead on the case mouth.
    You can't go wrong with the Lyman M-die.
    I so agree 100% with Anonym's words! I tried (years back) putting an over-expanded flare/bell on the end of my cases to not shave/distort the bullet to be loaded, often resulting in the case's splitting. An added benefit -- in my experiences -- is that the Lyman "M" dies do not seem to shorten usable case life. I have and use fifteen calibres of them .
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee 4 die set in 40 S&W & am able to expand enough to properly seat lead bullets. I have some cases that are on their third round of reloading and haven't had any split cases. I bought the Lee Universal expander to use on a couple different calibers. Have not used it yet, so can't give a first hand review. Have heard good things though.

Boolit Master
    NOE expander in a lee die will give you what you need expanding and a little flair to seat the boolits smoother .
    I seamed to need a custom plug made for all my Lyman m dies for use loading over sized cast boolits .

Boolit Master
    I haven't measured M Dies for my 357, 44, and 45's but I did measure the one I have for 32's and it was slightly under .310". To small for my uses.

I've recently invested in a NOE setup. You can pick you poison as far a size is concerned. They have the same style step as the M Die (which I much prefer over just a flare).

You order the expander plug to provide .001 neck tension. The small step at the top flares the case mouth to avoid shaving or damaging the bullet and to help it get centered. These are a drop in replacement piece in the Lee expander dies. Those Lee expanders by default just have a taper to flare the mouth nothing to size the case diameter and control the tension.

I can feel the consistency of effort required to seat the bullet when the neck has been expanded to a consistent size that matches up well with the cast bullet diameter. Many sizing dies won't size correctly for the larger diameter of lead bullets.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...er-plug-pistol
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    You order the expander plug to provide .001 neck tension. The small step at the top flares the case mouth to avoid shaving or damaging the bullet and to help it get centered. These are a drop in replacement piece in the Lee expander dies. Those Lee expanders by default just have a taper to flare the mouth nothing to size the case diameter and control the tension.

I can feel the consistency of effort required to seat the bullet when the neck has been expanded to a consistent size that matches up well with the cast bullet diameter. Many sizing dies won't size correctly for the larger diameter of lead bullets.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...er-plug-pistol
    This one^

Make your expander fit your needs. There are custom expanders out there.
    The first place to start is by buying a good micrometer.
    EDG

Buffalo Arms sells custom expanders for $20.00 you pick the size you want they expand and not ‘ bell’ . I don’t want a bell on the case mouth I want it expanded to accept a cast bullet of my chosen diameter. They make them for any die body . I have found that certain sizes work for cartridges I would have not thought I needed that particular size. RCBS ‘Cowboy’ dies are similar but not big enough for some rifles like 45 Colt chambered guns nearly .457” and my Buffalo Arms expander starts @456” to .461” for fat 45-70 ,45 Colt bullets. They are good I have one of those M dies and it always seemed to miss what I needed and put a nasty bell on the mouth before I got the neck tension I wanted. It has relieved a lot of problems for me.

Boolit Master

I'm shooting .432 cast bullets in a .44 special and need a NOE expander for it. Which dia. is the one for the bullet?
    Would the .431x.427 be the right one for it? Thanks for any info.
    Denny
    Last edited by leadhead; 04-11-2020 at 09:56 AM.

No, the numbers on the NOE plugs are the sizes on the plug below and above the bevel. The smaller number is below the bevel, the larger number is above the bevel.
    You want the smaller number to be .002 under your bullet diameter and the larger number to be .002 over bullet diameter.
    When you do the expanding you set the expander to push the case past the bevel and up onto the larger diameter about 1/32 to 1/16. This lets the bullet set down in the case a bit. This helps the bullet seat straighter and won't shave lead. For your .432 bullets I recommend the NOE .434 x .430.
    I load for the 44 Mag, both revolvers and a Marlin. The revolver like .430 bullet fine. The Marlin likes them .434. I have both of NOE's 44 expanders. The .430 x .4334 and the .432 x .436.
    With the Lee universal expander you can use the NOE plugs for all you loading.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Thanks Leo, that is what I was looking for. I use Lee powder thru dies
    all the time for different calibers and know how they work. I just couldn't
    figure out which way the diameters went. They should have the diameters
    marked on there pics like they do on there bullet drawings. Thanks again.
    Denny

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    My .45 colt dies are Redding.... Playing with my RCBS .44 cowboy expander in my Redding .45 colt die, looks like I can get a $6 doller RCBS .45 cowboy .452 expander and it will fit my Redding .45 die
    I didn't notice if you stated the bullet diameter, but I have a new, unused RCBS "454 Cowboy" expander plug. It is the M style. The expander shank is a touch over .452" and the M step is .456". It will fit any RCBS expander die body or other with the same thread diameter and pitch. It is ideal for a .454" bullet. Would also work for .453" or, maybe .455".

It is yours if you can use it. Just send a PM with mailing instructions and I'll get it out to you early next week.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 04-11-2020 at 11:47 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

I just tried to log on to NOE web sight to order a expander plug
    and can't get in. I've bought molds from them before and never
    had a problem. The site jacked me around pretty good so I just
    said the hell with it... I don't need it that bad.
    Denny

Boolit Master

if you haven't been there since the website change/ upgrade, you have to reset your password.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast