Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you have a K-31 with a poor bore --------

Banned

If you have a K-31 with a poor bore --------

I had one that was 99% outside but had serious pitting. Replacement barrels are rare and expensive. I spoke with JES and he agreed to rebore it to create a 9x55 Swiss (really .357). He did a 3 groove and it works perfectly. I "hogged out" some 358 Winchester dies to leave the neck sizing and seating parts intact. Works perfectly. The Swiss case has more capacity than the 358 Winchester and, as we know, from Swiss websites, many K-31s have been rebarreled to 50 K+ (243/308/25-06 etc) cartridges with no ill effects. My interest is not in hot-rodding it, rather cast boolits. Initial results w/220 gr Lee PCed and 250 gr Speer were good. Now have it scoped and waiting for range to reopen.

Last edited by SwissShooter; 04-08-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm amazed you found a K-31 with a bad bore!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Until I bought a borescope, I believed the same. Many rifles that look great when you peer down the bore look "bright and shiny". I've owned 8 Swiss rifles and all had some degree of pitting or erosion. Most will shoot just fine with J-word bullets. The Lyman bore scope is inexpensive and IF you only use it in a clean, dry bore it works fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting

Boolit Master

Nice! What twist rate did you go with?

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    1 in 14 as he suggested.

35 Whalen data would be close as the 7.5 and the 06 have about the same volume according to one of my reloading manuals forget which one at the moment
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

The 7.5 x 55 Swiss is very close to a 30/284. Lots of shooter just neck the .284 Win up to 30 Cal and use it in the K31's. The rebated rim still works so case volume is much closer to the 35 Whelen than it is to the 358 Win.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...s-from-284-Win
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    7.5x55 cases are easily found by Privi and Norma. No need to reform. For my use, as I don't intend to hunt with it,
    I'll be loading closer to 35 Remington levels than 35 Whelen levels.

Banned
    Another pic of the 9x55.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3243.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	260064

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SwissShooter View Post
    7.5x55 cases are easily found by Privi and Norma. No need to reform. For my use, as I don't intend to hunt with it,
    My point is the case volume is much closer to the 35 Whelen than the 35 Remington when selecting load data since data for a 35/7.62 x 55 Swiss is very limited. Case volume of the 30/06 and 284 are both 66 grains of water.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banned
    You are correct. I suppose I could take a 308 Ruger No 1, get a rebore and rechamber, maybe even "Ackleyize" and have a powerful 35 caliber rifle. Not the point of my effort. Just wanted to clean up a nice K-31 to shoot with cast boolit pooper loads. Besides I have a Ruger 1B JES 35 Whelen that will rock you with full house loads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K-31R.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	260113

Boolit Grand Master

You are aware that there a lot of light load cast bullet 35 Whelen data available that is direct match for your case volume??????
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-11-2020 at 04:38 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Love it when a creative mind saves compromised rifle. Good going.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    You are aware that there a lot of light load cast bullet 35 Whelen data available that is direct match for your case volume??????
    Of course I am. But for light loads there is material difference. As someone once noted here: "10 gr of Unique works with everything." (largebore riflewise)

Boolit Grand Master

Of course I am. But for light loads there is material difference. As someone once noted here: "10 gr of Unique works with everything." (largebore riflewise)
    What is the material difference?

The universal load of 10 grs. Unique doesn't come close to 35 Rem levels. Velocity will be in the 1200 to 1300 FPS or less with 220 grain cast.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-11-2020 at 08:18 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Okay M-Tecs, you're right and I'm wrong. ----- except that a 220 gr boolit at 1300 fps has more ME than any 357 magnum load and will work just fine for 50 yard plinking.

Boolit Grand Master

It's not about who is right or wrong. We are all here to share information. Either to learn, to help others or both. Incorrect information benefits no one.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banned
    In any case, I brought a tired K31 back to life and may have even invented a new wildcat. The rest is "nice to know".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast