Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: There and Back Again: An R51 Story

Boolit Buddy

There and Back Again: An R51 Story

Boolit Grand Master
    I am slightly mentally impaired, but I want one of these, despite all the problems they have shown. I keep hoping that they will get it right.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    See, now that's the same affliction that lead to my buying the one in the video. Ignoring the functioning issues for a moment, it's compact, lightweight, and it feels good in the hand. It also points pretty naturally, and I just like the looks of it. The R51 has kind of a Star Trek phaser look to it that appeals to my inner trekkie. Lastly, the operating system is kind of cool. In a universe of Browning tilting-barrel designs, it's something a little different. Now if I could just get it to run!

If the R51 had been dead-bang reliable from day one, I think it would have been quite popular and Remington's image would be vastly better than it is today.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    It is precisely that feel and look that get to me; they look like they ought to be from the 1920's, not the 2020's. When I have held one I start to feel like Humphrey Bogart, only taller.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    "Of all the gin joints, in all the places, in all the world......."

Howard

Boolit Grand Master

As I posted in my thread, I am curious enough to have jumped in as well. Don't have it yet.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    The most brutally honest gun review I have yet to see....

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...r51-revisited/

Boolit Buddy
    I watched that yesterday. It's ironic that they posted an R51 video at virtually the same moment I did.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    Now the guy in the video reports he is "in agony" when he fires the pistol. Does anyone else share his affliction? This is the first I have ever heard of that problem in any of the reviews I have read.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-09-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: missed a word

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Now the guy in the video reports he is "in agony" when he fires the pistol. Does anyone else share his affliction? This is the first I have ever heard of that problem in any of the reviews I have read.
    I noticed that too. I made a conscious decision to withhold any comment. I will simply say I do not experience the same thing.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master
    Call me crazy but I got my state refund and am going to order one. Classic Arms has a special on them. And since I can't shoot anywhere near by any way, I guess it doesn't matter if it goes bang or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Call me crazy but I got my state refund and am going to order one. Classic Arms has a special on them. And since I can't shoot anywhere near by any way, I guess it doesn't matter if it goes bang or not.
    I wish you the best of luck with it. Be sure to let me know how it does when you get it.

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    I too don't understand the video author's problem with holding on to the gun. Any auto loader can bite you in the web of your hand if you don't hold it right. The R51 slide does set close to your web because of the design of the delayed locking system and the low bore placement. In reviews of other "wonder" 9's people are always raving about the low bore distance.

The R51 is a neat, very good looking and feeling hand gun. It just was not well supported by Remington.

I'm going to toss in my two cents worth on the R51's I now own two of them and that is at least two too many. I have no problem with the way they feel in the hand, their looks or there shootability if that's even a word. They do require a little more attention to your grip as they will "slide bite". These R51's are by far the biggest PITA of any gun I own to field strip and reassemble. I've taken to locking the slide open, cleaning the barrel, then removing the slide and cleaning all other parts with "Flush Out" or some such spray can cleaning product with no further tear down. Proceed at your own risk with further disassembly. You will come out bleeding. S.I.L and I each bought one the first week they were released at around $360. They can now be had for around $200 and there IS a reason. These pistols are the last straw for me with ANYTHING Remington. Gp

Banned
    I like my Savage 380 much better ---- "10 shots quick!"

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah and the Savage “Shoots straight without aiming, and every crook fears it”, according to their old ad copy.

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    I too don't understand the video author's problem with holding on to the gun. Any auto loader can bite you in the web of your hand if you don't hold it right. The R51 slide does set close to your web because of the design of the delayed locking system and the low bore placement. In reviews of other "wonder" 9's people are always raving about the low bore distance.

The R51 is a neat, very good looking and feeling hand gun. It just was not well supported by Remington.
    I think maybe its the grip safety biting his hand when it resets.