Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Ceramic Sharpening Sticks Stones

Boolit Master

Ceramic Sharpening Sticks Stones

If you were to use these on brass does it ruin the stick. I have some very delicate work to accomplish on a mold cavity that I don't feel comfortable using micro steel files on. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Grand Master

Never used then on brass but if they do load up I would think a good copper remover would clean them.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I think you could clean them up with an eraser, no harm at all.

I have a crock stick cleaner (course eraser) that cleans them no problem. Even brass. Lansky Eraser Block - on amazon.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I have a crock stick cleaner (course eraser) that cleans them no problem. Even brass. Lansky Eraser Block - on amazon.
    Didn't know about these https://lansky.com/index.php/product...block-blister/ Just ordered one. Thanks
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Ceramic Sharpening Sticks Stones

I just scrub with bar keepers friend or some other scrubbing powder and a touch of blue dish soap.
    Coarse eraser for ink works well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the same formula as fiberoptic. Works great.

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner it might work.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Grand Master

If you use them use kerosene or a light soap water to lube them and keep them from loading when a stone loads it also quits cutting. Another is to make a brass rod and use diamond lap or very fine lapping compounds with it. Even a wood form impregnated with fine compounds will work well. Make it long and when changing grits just cut the end off. The hardwood stick and compound was how we polished delicate details at work. Oak works but the open grain dosnt take compound as well. Maple does well walnut does good, THe old standby in the trade was rose wood.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHawk357Mag View Post
    If you were to use these on brass does it ruin the stick. I have some very delicate work to accomplish on a mold cavity that I don't feel comfortable using micro steel files on. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I've used Bon Ami and a couple of other powder cleansers to clean the round crock stick knife sharpeners I have. They are fine enough to load up with steel. Brass will be worse, as far as loading, but it will be easier to get off, too.

You can clean brass off of anything with FeCl3 dissolved in 15% HCl. HCl will take care of Zn and FeCl3 will take care of remaining Cu.

Boolit Master

Have been using them for almost 40 years, have used them on steel, brass and aluminum. Clean them the same way as steel, Comet powder and hot water.

Boolit Master
    ya I always used comet powder also. just wet it sprinkle some on, then tooth brush or fingers seems to magically take metal off in some way, no clue how but it does.

Boolit Master

Wow! appreciate everyone weighing in. Learned some stuff today. That's definitely a positive. Everyone have a fantastic day and be safe.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"

Boolit Master

I was gonna say the same thing about Dawn/Comet with hot water. Works for Arkansas stones as well, cleans all the metal out of the pores. If you have a stone that is oil soaked like an old India stone spray with carb cleaner. It will eat up all the old oil and make it look new.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Emc45 thanks for the additional information. I actually have some stones that I have inherited that meet that description. Thanks for great information.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I think you could clean them up with an eraser, no harm at all.

Actually, mine cleaned up using a Brillo pad in warm running water and a little elbow grease.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride