WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: JON-E or ZIPPO handwarmer info?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?

JON-E or ZIPPO handwarmer info?

I have an old JON-E handwarmer without instructions. HAH!

I want to use "Zippo" lighter fluid or plain "Naptha" (Coleman fuel).

Will that work?

The website(s) show the wick outside of the "burner" frame. I fired it up with the wick outside the frame as the site showed and could not get it to burn without flame so I positioned the wick inside the burner frame and it seemed to work good.

Yes, I was using Zippo fluid. It seemed to heat a little on the hot side and stink a little. Not what I remember from 55 years ago (Hehehe)

I don't really need it but my brother has poor circulation and needs some kind of heat for his hands for wintertime outdoor activities.

I am tempted to just go buy a couple of the Zippo handwarmers (he has two hands) and be done with it.

Any help out there?
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Buddy
    The wick goes outside the burner. With the silver, outside cover off, light the wick and let it burn for a couple minutes, then put the silver cover back on, slide the warmer in to the cloth pouch but leave the top open for a couple minutes, when you know its still running(warm) then loosely tie the pouch. Any lighter fluid or naptha from the hardware store will work. Don't use the coleman fuel or camp fuel as some have die and perfume mixed in, that clog the wick (so I was told).
    They do give off a smell, once your outside you don't notice it.

Boolit Grand Master

Used these for years. You can use any NAPTHA type lighter fluid. Zippo brand will work just fine.

Instructions from the back of a can of genuine Jon-e Warmer Fluid:

1) Remove the burner. Pour fluid into absorbent in base of Jon-e until saturated.

2) IMPORTANT! (emphasis on the can) Turn upside down and vigorously shake out all excess fluid.

3) Replace burner. Stand warmer on table in draft free room. Ignite red wick. Let it burn for 1 minute.

4) Blow out flame. Replace cover. Allow to stand 4-5 minutes without handling. Place in carrying bag.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bob, do a search on this subject. We covered it pretty well a year or two ago. Lots of good info.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

the packets are much better and safer. carry a zip bag and when too hot put in bag and seal will last 3 days. rick

Banned

I still have 3 Jon-e warmers and Coleman fuel works just fine. I used it for years.
    The other instructions here are right on.
    I found they never stay lit unless in your pocket.