Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got some pure lead pipe today, old water lines.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    50/50 mix with COWW and PC your boolits. I add a 16% pewter ratio to my 44 mag boolits with excellent expansion at rifle velocities.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    Yes I have a few of them. How would I go about using them? How much of it should I add to how much of the pure lead? Just got another 128 pounds todayand will be getting one more last batch tomorrow. So far 518 pounds.
    I had some of those lead pipe solder joints. I cut them close, and rendered them separately from the rest of the pipe.

I sent a sample to member BNE, and it came back 95%Pb, 5%Sn.

Cheapest 20-1 (19-1 actually) I've ever seen.

I just melted down 40 pounds of lead pipe. Some 1"od, some around 1-1/2". The wall thickness is a bit over 3/16". The best part is I should be able to get several hundred pounds more for nothing. Hopefully it will happen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0411201015.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	260141
    Also picked up 20# of plumbers lead from the same guy for free too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0411201610a.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	260142
    Last edited by Doubles Shooter; 04-11-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Content

Boolit Master
    For alloying soft or pure lead I like foundty type. From Roto Metals it is advertised as 23% SB and 12% SN, which gives you both SB and SN in the mix. Mixed 5-a alloy is @ 4% SB and 2% SN, about perfect for most light to medium power hand gun loads. Mixed 3-1 gives @6% Sb and 3% SN, an alloy I find works well in the loads I use in my rifles (1600 fps +/-). SN improves castability but SB is more efficient (about 3X) at increasing BHN and anything over 3-4% SN is a waste of SN.

Boolit Master
    IMHO, Sb rich alloys like that still require some solder to be added to up the Sn content. My rule of thumb is to have as much or more Sn as Sb to make for a more malleable handgun alloy, especially when casting hollowpoints.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    IMHO, Sb rich alloys like that still require some solder to be added to up the Sn content. My rule of thumb is to have as much or more Sn as Sb to make for a more malleable handgun alloy, especially when casting hollowpoints.

Don
    Theres something almost magical about having equal amounts of Sn and SB. Actually there is a scientific explanation for this, but thats above my pay scale. But it makes for a good casting alloy. And it doesn't have to be as high as whats in Lyman # 2. It can be as low as 2% each up to 3% each.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    It can be as low as 2% each up to 3% each.
    Funny that you mention that. One of my favorite alloys splits it right down the middle.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    And it doesn't have to be as high as whats in Lyman # 2. It can be as low as 2% each up to 3% each.
    I make Lyman#2, then dilute it down to about 2/2 Sn/Sb. Easier to start with a known, then make what I want.

Boolit Master
    Scrounge pewter from junk stores and get some linotype. You can do about anything with it then. I got 300 lbs. of cable sheathing a while back and want to try some softer gas checked bullets, maybe 2.5% tin in pure. That would be 40/1 if I'm thinking straight. I need to stop by my local metal recyclers and see if they are open and what they have.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 04-16-2020 at 07:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    I do hope you were able to stay upwind as you melted them ;^]

I melted down some 2" pipe for a buddy. Cutting it up to put into the pot, I found that it was full of whitish crumbly stuff. I'm hoping that it was just mineral deposits :^P
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-05-2021 at 01:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The problem with moisture when melting, is if the pipes were folded over. That makes a temporary sealed spot where moisture can turn to steam and then let loose when finally melted.

Boolit Master

May be more of this coming. Eliminating lead waterlines is part of Biden's infrastructure bill, I understand.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123