RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Hiatus, now returning to casting and a new adventure the 280 Rem.

Boolit Mold

Hiatus, now returning to casting and a new adventure the 280 Rem.

Hi all, so I have been on a casting hiatus for about 10 years. Finally life is allowing me to pick up this wonderful part of shooting again so I dug out all of my old equipment, well atleast what I have found so far. I am sure that I have forgotten more than I remember and that would be for 90% straight walled pistol and rifle cartridges. 38 and 357 mag, 45 LC and piles and piles of 45/70. What bottlenecks I did shoot were things like 30/30 win and 22 hornet. I am sure some things will just need a gentle reminder for all the gears to start clicking again. So on to uncharted (for me) territory. I’ve decided to cast for my 280 Rem as well. Rifle is a NEF Handi Rifle that is capable of a bit under 1 MOA with jacketed bullets when I can manage do do my part. I have purchased from a member here Lyman mold 287308 to start messing with. I still need to slug the bore and throat for some measurements. Looking at working with ww and maybe some Lyman 2 alloy to work with at first. I think between those two alloys with gas checks and the ability to harden by water quench and possibly heat I think I manage anywhere from to soft to way to hard of a bullet. So I am curious as to what you all think? Am I atleast pointed in a ok direction with thought? Would anyone like to offer tips to shorten my rentry learning curve especially pertaining to this cartridge, or maybe offer some experiences/ information with this bullet in the 280 Rem? Thank you all in advance of anything you may offer.

Boolit Master

Owe, I love 6.8m rounds. Curious how this works out for you. I shoot the .270 Win. Was eye balling the 280 or 260 Rem... well went with .260 Rem.

Think you would do well with 5744 or Reloader 7.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Mold
    I’ll certainly look into those powders. The 5744 is something I see often recommended. Out of curiosity what bullet/alloy combinations have you been happiest with and at what velocities?

Boolit Master

I feel that will be rifle dependent. In my 260 Rem it has an 1 in 8 twist and I really havent been able to get over 1500 fps with any powder. 5744 at 1500 fps works the best. I have tried all sorts of alloys. I settled on 50/50 RS to COWW for BHN of 10. This gun is about to get a custom barrel. My 6.5 Grendel has the same issue with a 1 in 8. Both guns are about 1 to 2 MOA. Conclude what you will from that.

For the 270 Win has a 1 in 9. It shoots about any alloy with any powder accurately from 1200 to 2050 fps. Just depends on powder burn speed and peek pressure. It shoots the best with heat treated COWW with Reloader 7 at 2050 fps. It can get impressive .5 inch groups or better. I am lazy, so same load of Reloader 7 with 10 BHN air cooled bullet is easier and quicker to make and only opens the groups a little. Still MOA or better out to 200 yards depending on velocity.

For the 270 Win I use the Lee 277 bullet.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Mold
    Thank for the info on what works for you. I certainly agree that what works is different with each rifle. Just looking at different offerings of information to use as a ball park idea of where to start. The rifle gets to choose from there.

I'm no help with 280 Rem, but welcome back!
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!