Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Try

Boolit Buddy

First Try

So my molds came in today, and patience isn't my strongest virtue. I decided to clean them, smoke them, and test them out. They are Lee 2 cavity dies (309-150 and 309-170). Definitely a learning experience. I think I wasn't getting the mold hot enough to begin with. Ended up with about 50% rejects. Here is a picture of two that came out decent. Ladle pouring is an art of which I am no where close to mastering. Lead is COWW heated on a hot plate in a cast iron pot using a Lee ladle.

Once things settle down a little, I'm looking forward to a lesson from Green Frog.

Boolit Master
    Those look great! Small tip, set the mold on the hot plate for a minute or two before you start casting. Itll heat the mold to a better temp at the beginning. As soon as the sprue solidifies, cut it. When the mold starts getting hotter it will take longer to solidify. That's when I start to slow down and find a rhythm.

Boolit Master

rtyler8140 I'm no expert but from the looks of your new boolits you are off to a good start. In my opinion the art of casting has a pretty long learning curve. If you don't already own a Lyman Cast bullet handbook, you need to buy one and not only read it, you need to study it. and while I am on the subject the stickies have much to offer as well. Getting help from a mentor is a great way to jump start your casting experience. So get Green Frog on the line and invite him over for a casting session.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Wish guys would stop smoking molds, causes more issues then it fixes. Clean your new molds well with carb cleaner, brake clean or even white gas and cast away. From your pic the bullets look good, keep it up.

Boolit Master
    Very nice looking first go. Well don sir and welcome to the insanity. Come for the lead, stay for the banter.

Boolit Master

They look good. Your molds will cast better and easier with use and time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!

50% is not bad from a new mold.

Boolit Master

You're of to a good start.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I hope one of the most important aspects of this hobby was not forgotten. Did you enjoy yourself? The bullets look great bye the way. Beautiful thing about lead. There’s no bad casts just more raw material for the pot. Toss the other 50% back in the top and no one will ever know.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

Two things - a good mold should not need smoking or anything else other than cleaning. Two, lose the Lee dipper, it is way too small in capacity. Get either the Lyman or the RCBS dipper. Green Frog should have an extra he can loan you? You do have two of everything, don' you Charlie?

Good first try. A decent ladle will improve your success percentage greatly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Your producing good looking boolits , so just recast the bad ones - practice makes perfect .

Boolit Master
    my own experience is that lee molds like to run hot..just into the range where the boolit is frosted. my lee 309-150 is one of the best running molds i have, you'll probably love the results when all is squared away. btw- i use the lee 10# drip-omatic, so it's easy to keep the mold hot!

Boolit Grand Master

Some simple to do tips. As above pre heat mould on hot plate or even on the lead pot for a few minutes. I set moulds on the warming plate when starting the pit and let them come up slow with the pot. I find it easier to cast slow to temp down than cast faster up to temp. The Lyman and rcbs ladles are much better and easier to use than the lee. Ine mod to the LYman and RCBS is to open the spouts hole to around .200 diameter for faster pour. Not mentioned yet, When ladle pouring set mould over edge of pot fill ladle and pour the whole ladle full letting excess run back into pot and let the sprue be what it is. This keeps the base sprue molten longer allowing the bullet to solidify from nose up. It helps with filling shrinkage as metal cools and allows gasses to vent better.

Last is the biggest thing to remember when starting out. If your casting cast if your sorting sort dont try to do both at the same time. This slows and messes up your cadence allows mould temps to vary, and just isnt productive. Cast and glance at the bullets as they drip but no more.

And no matter how pretty that freshly dropped bullet is and is beckoning to be looked at it is still HOT, dont touch LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. I plan on making a few adjustments tonight and trying again. After reading through "From Ingot to Target". I think my mold was getting to temp, but my sprue plate was still a bit cool causing the lead to drop in temp prior to really filling out the mold. I also plan on giving the molds a good cleaning to get all my Lee approved smoke soot off haha. I also bent my ladle a little to hopefully give a better scoop and pour.

Boolit Grand Master

You will also eventually learn that each mold has it's own demands. I have Lyman 457122 Gould HP mold that demands a pressure pour - holding the mold sideways and placing the nozzle of the ladle on the sprue hold, turn the whole assembly upright, hold for a slow count of three, remove ladle. Any thing else gives rounded edges - do that and you have a perfect boolit each time.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Those look good. Keep doing what you did to get them to come out like that. I agree with the others about smoking molds. I prefer to have nothing near the cavities in my molds. But, others swear by it.

Boolit Grand Master

You're doing just fine .
    New moulds need to be broken in by two or maybe three casting sessions.
    Like a cast iron pan , they need seasoning . After a break in and a little practice your keepers will go up . Here's what I've learned in the last 50 years . Run the metal and mould hot 750 - 725 degrees F , cast them right at "frosty" and cast from a 20 Lb. pot . Once your mould , metal and dipper are all hot keep casting untill all the alloy is used up .
    Refilling a small pot with ingots and reheating alloy mould and dipper just wastes a lot of time, I wished I had gone to a 20 pound pot from day one ...Lee Magnum Melter is a dipper casters friend.

One more thing...after the mould gets seasoned you usually don't need to smoke them any more .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Two things - a good mold should not need smoking or anything else other than cleaning. Two, lose the Lee dipper, it is way too small in capacity. Get either the Lyman or the RCBS dipper. Green Frog should have an extra he can loan you? You do have two of everything, don' you Charlie?

Good first try. A decent ladle will improve your success percentage greatly.

I completely agree about the Lyman dipper. I acquired one from a member here a while ago, and it has helped considerably with fill-out and keeping my rhythm up.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

And BTW, There will be days when no matter how you try, you simply will not be able to cast anything worth keeping! We all have those days. Don't give up. Just walk away for the day and try again another day. You might be casting too cold, You might need more tin. You might need to flux more. There could be any number of things that just aren't right that day. Just shake your head and walk away. Tomorrow is another day and it will all come together. I've been casting for 50+ years and still have days like that. Right now, you are off to a good starts. Just don't let a bad day turn you away. And I can tell you that there is no better feeling than dropping that buck with a bullet that you cast out of a cartridge that you loaded. It doesn't get any better than that.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again for all the feedback. I'd say it went slightly better this evening. About halfway through I switched up the way I was pouring and saw a marked improvement. Tilting the mould and pouring while rotating the mold gave me more consistent results. Green Frog said he had a Lyman ladle that he would gift me! I can see where that will make a big difference over the Lee spoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast