MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Everything has its limits

Boolit Master

Everything has its limits

I've been working with the 35 Whelen to dial in a good load. The hope is to have a soft enough alloy to disrupt upon impact with the 358318 RN and still shoot upwards of 2,100/2,200 fps, if possible. So far it isn't looking like I can get that done with the range scrap lead. Saturday's attempt at getting anything better than shotgun patterns at 100 yards was foiled yet once again. This is with WLL 2500 with BLL coating. Whether the load is 40 grains of H4895 or even a soft charge of 15 grains of Unique (1550fps) the holes are all over the paper.
    Small lead shards pushed out in front of the patched cleaning jag. Nothing terrible, but it tells that this allow is just too soft for these velocities. But man do they mushroom so pretty in water jugs, LOL.
    Not knocking WLL2500 or BLL. It is the simple fact I am asking more than the medium of bullet and lube can handle. It is interesting how much more the 45 grain loads (2,250fps) will smoke than the 40 grain rounds.

Next time out I'll run some water quenched boolits of the same alloy with these lubes. Curious how this will affect things. Suppose this is what makes this hobby enjoyable, finding what works. At some point I do want a load I'll stick to, though. Powder coating might be the ticket, as some say. That, too, is an option I'll employ before too long. Have fun. I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    I've been working with the 35 Whelen to dial in a good load. The hope is to have a soft enough alloy to disrupt upon impact with the 358318 RN and still shoot upwards of 2,100/2,200 fps, if possible. So far it isn't looking like I can get that done with the range scrap lead. Saturday's attempt at getting anything better than shotgun patterns at 100 yards was foiled yet once again. This is with WLL 2500 with BLL coating. Whether the load is 40 grains of H4895 or even a soft charge of 15 grains of Unique (1550fps) the holes are all over the paper.
    Small lead shards pushed out in front of the patched cleaning jag. Nothing terrible, but it tells that this allow is just too soft for these velocities. But man do they mushroom so pretty in water jugs, LOL.
    Not knocking WLL2500 or BLL. It is the simple fact I am asking more than the medium of bullet and lube can handle. It is interesting how much more the 45 grain loads (2,250fps) will smoke than the 40 grain rounds.

Next time out I'll run some water quenched boolits of the same alloy with these lubes. Curious how this will affect things. Suppose this is what makes this hobby enjoyable, finding what works. At some point I do want a load I'll stick to, though. Powder coating might be the ticket, as some say. That, too, is an option I'll employ before too long. Have fun. I am.

Powder coating might give better results, but were it mine, I'd try paper patching them. A .35 caliber isn't that hard to work with, lots easier than a .30 cal.

Boolit Master

Powder coat will get you part way there. I have a 1800 fps 165 grain I run out of a 30-06 using range scrap with plain base checks (pop can checks) that shoots 2 inches at 100 yds consistently. My 45 acp carbine is reasonably accurate up to 1200 with range scrap lead, but slips the groves and accuracy goes to crap around 1300 with soft lead. But 45 acp rifling is only a couple thousandths deep, so not much to grab.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"