Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Gov't and Smokeless Powder

Boolit Mold

45-70 Gov't and Smokeless Powder

I'm new here so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. Perhaps an administrator could square me away. Away, I purchased a 45-70 Sharps reproduction and decided to work up smokeless loads for the Lyman Postell #457132 535 grain bullet. I chose 5744 powder after experimenting with other powders and my chronograph. Several of my friends told me they would never use 5744 because it is "way too expensive." I wondered if that were true as I was getting superb accuracy from the rifle out to 875 yards. The chart that I hopefully attached shows the relative costs of five popular 45-70 powders and the costs of each. My research shows that 5744 is actually the cheapest powder to use and not the most expensive. I have used all five of the powders and have come to the conclusion that 5744 is the one for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smokeless Powder Costs.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Do all of these loads produce the same chronographed velocity in your rifle with the same projectile? And produce the same accuracy? Define "superb accuracy".

Boolit Mold
    The loads were for illustrative purposes from the Lyman manual. I didn’t comment on velocity. Lyman shows different velocities for the various loads. I’m old (72) so my definition of superb accuracy with iron sights may be different than yours. With 5744 I’m getting five rounds in five inches at 200 yards. The whole purpose of my post is that folks shouldn’t worry about the higher per pound price if 5744 as we get more loads from that pound.

Boolit Master
    You made a good point , unless your 45-70 is a Gatling gun I wouldn't worry about the powder cost anyway.

Boolit Master

First off, Welcome!
    Just shoot what's best for you, and don't worry about anyone else. Enjoy your 45-70! And be safe.

Boolit Grand Master
    What Alstep said !! I love 5744. The only problem I have is getting it. Many stores around me don't carry it.

Welcome aboard.

Boolit Master
    I would love to use 5744 but no one carries it where I am. So it’s 4198 or Goex.

They probably told you that, because you shoot better than they do, and they are trying to bring you down to their level.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Hi all! May I recommend you consider Shooter's World "Buffalo Rifle" (Lovex D060.) It used to be sold as 5744 before Accurate changed sources. I use it 1:1 and have the same excellent results, and the cost is significantly less than 5744.
    Ed

I like Varget for my 1895 - it has the lowest ES of any powder I've tried.

I have used H4198, H4895, Trailboss and I just ordered some H335.

Trailboss is like shooting a .22. Then on the other end of the spectrum, I've shot 4198 loads that were within the max load that rattled my fillings out. What I noticed is the slower burning powders tend to make the recoil a little more like a push than a jolt. So, 4198 gets painful pretty quickly, but 4895 is a little more forgiving and Varget is a bit more forgiving still. I am looking forward to trying H335 - it's between 4198 and 4895 but way more available than either.
    WWG1WGA

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use WC872 from Barlett's Reloading. Use a kicker, and get great accuracy, cheap!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Are all the velocities the same with the loads in your chart? If not, then the chart isn't really valid. I am fine with 3031 & cast in my 45-70, mild to pretty wild. If you just want to shoot cheap, 8-9gr of unique with a Dacron was is pretty cheap for 1000fps shooting. it wont get you to 500y but it is cheap.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Vendor Sponsor

dakotaduke

I like that you did a comparison. If you choose powders/charges that produce velocities that are in the same range, that is plenty good enough to see that pricier by the pound does not have to mean pricier by the shot.
    You can refine more as you go based on more experience with the rifle.

Well done!

Sounds like to me, you are getting enough accuracy at the longer ranges to make hits and have fun! And that is the point.
    Enjoy your rifle. BTW-at least you are getting out and shooting. That is the best part.

Welcome to the forum.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    The load I ended up with is 26 grains of 5744 which produces 1275 FPS. I used loads for the Trapdoor Springfield as I don’t need to batter my shoulder and they will still reach out to 800+ yards in competition.

Boolit Master
    If you ever find some SR4759 give it a try. For me it works even better than 5744.
    About 23 to 25 grains with a 500 grn bullet. I don't pay much attention to cost.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaduke View Post
    The load I ended up with is 26 grains of 5744 which produces 1275 FPS. I used loads for the Trapdoor Springfield as I don’t need to batter my shoulder and they will still reach out to 800+ yards in competition.
    EDG

Banner Sponsor

Hi DakotaDuke, I have just one problem with this whole thread! There aren't any pics of your rifle

Welcome to the forum

Boolit Mold

Sharps Competition Rifle

lar45...you are so right. I've included a couple of photos of the rifle. It is a Pedersoli Competition Sharps in 45-70. 34" heavy octagon barrel and weighs 13 pounds. The sights are from Lee Shaver and include a Soule long-range on the rear and a globe spirit level on the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sharps Competition.jpg   Sharps1.jpg   Sharps2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaduke View Post
    lar45...you are so right. I've included a couple of photos of the rifle. It is a Pedersoli Competition Sharps in 45-70. 34" heavy octagon barrel and weighs 13 pounds. The sights are from Lee Shaver and include a Soule long-range on the rear and a globe spirit level on the front.
    I love that rifle. I gave my buddy some 45s that were 500 grain boolits with 42 grain of varget. They were hot in my Marlin. But with that heavy gun, it was mild. I believe they were in the 1400-1500 fps range. But what an accurate load in that Pedersoli...
    WWG1WGA

Banned
    30 gr 4198, card wad, fill case w/coarse Cuban corn meal, 300 gr cast boolit. Accurate and smells good too.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I use WC872 from Barlett's Reloading. Use a kicker, and get great accuracy, cheap!
    What kicker and how much are you using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast