Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What is it???

Moderator Emeritus

What is it???

I don't think I'm alone in noting that many of the questions we all hear in discussions of theology are flawed and unanswerable. This is what deniers dote on! They try to convolute every belief we have as Christians, tangle our concepts up and make a mess of things. Even devout Christians can fall prey to trying to answer unanswerable and erroneous questions pretty often. So why is it that we seem to think we have to have an answer to every question, no matter how nonsensical the question???? It amazes me, and yet, I've done that very same thing, and not just on the rare occasion, either!

Why can't we just say "I don't know, I leave those type questions up to the Lord to answer, and maybe one day I'll find an answer to that question." It's so easy to just say that, and avoid all the dissension and turmoil that attempting to answer nonsensical questions can create. If we truly trust our Lord, it shouldn't be difficult for us to say "I don't know," but maybe it's society's expectations that tends to make us grab for answers, oftentimes rather unsteadily, when some convoluted question arises? I'm not entirely sure, but whatever it is, it sure is a huge stumbling block for us in the search for truth and light!

Sometimes, we rush into the fray before we really think and consider the question, and whether it CAN be adequately answered or not. We live in "interesting times," as the old Chinese curse put it, and everything is tilted toward instantaneous answers to whatever question lies before us. Maybe that's what's controlling our behavior. But if we're Christians, we're supposed to rise above such considerations, and seek light and truth as best as our mortal minds can conceive it. We will surely never truly realize all truth and light until after it's revealed to us, which won't be in this earthly life. So, why can't we be content to accept what we CAN know, and not feel pressured to answer every crazy question we are presented? Yeah. It's that old thing about us being flawed, and our tendency to do what we've always done, and our tendency to NOT sit and think BEFORE we answer a question. If we thought, and used those big brains that God gave us, we'd avoid a LOT of sadness and dissent. As Shakespeare said so long ago now, "What fools these mortals be." And I count myself among the chief offenders in this regard, too! I've been so dumb at times, that I cannot believe I did such things, or said such things. But I did. That's a matter of record. Even when seeking truth and light, I've asked some really idiotic questions, and tried in vain to answer them. And I've approached good questions from the wrong angle, and thus, the door to that understanding remained closed to me until the Lord opened it when I approached it from the right angle.

This being a Christian business ain't easy! But it's always, always, always worth every bit of effort we can put forward to it. And what's embarassing is that the true answers are so often very easy and almost self evident, if we just calm down and look at the questions from a balanced and calm perspective. It's almost like God is trying to teach us something by making so many answers available only when we're calm and relaxed and sincere. Ain't that something!

Boolit Buddy
    You seem annoyed with some of the discussions/questions that come up in this Forum.
    I sense you think that some of the questions are used to "bait" others into discussing them.

Maybe so, but some questions are in the form that would encourage a discussion on the question.

"I do not know" is a good honest answer but a followup opinion can also be helpful to those seeking answers.
    Regarding Christianity, there is a lot of stuff in the Bible that does not make sense.
    If someone reads a Bible verse and posts a question about it, then it isn't necessarily a troll post or one that is baiting you.

You are out in the open here posting your opinions/beliefs so expect someone to see things differently from you and post their remarks.
    So what? Big deal.

I like the diversity of thought and beliefs here in this discussion Forum.
    I think that it really bugs some people here that views other than their own are discussed and see it as being an attack on their belief system.

It certainly is the place for Christians to "witness" or "evangelize" their beliefs on others, despite how annoying it can be.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I think that it really bugs some people here that views other than their own are discussed and see it as being an attack on their belief system.

It certainly is the place for Christians to "witness" or "evangelize" their beliefs on others, despite how annoying it can be.
    It's laffable for non-Christians to be "annoyed" while posting in a theology forum they have freely entered into simply to make sure other people, others who neither know them or care what they think, just to make sure that we know exactly what they don't like about us!

That takes normal ego and sense of entitlement to another level ... but it is funny to read!

Boolit Mold
    I noticed that years ago Black Water & in my research those stupid nonsensical bate questions were formulated by Antichrist Communists in debates classes at universities in the early 1960's they don't have an answer and it's not by mistake it's so the idiotic question can be asked forever & if you fall for trying to answer it you are trapped. & Atheists are raised by TV to believe they have a superior position & superior intellect instead of a mental health issue and being a few eggs short of dozen. What i find laughable is the way they play innocent that even a child would see is 100% bs. My generation in recent years destroyed (over an over) the Atheist, new age, feminist,gay,gender cults & sat back and watched them eat themselves while the world laughed. All aberrations in life are programmed to announce themselves & what they are when no one wants to know or asked ( think Gays and Atheists) & make a bee line to the nearest Normal Christian to start arguing. They don't have the balls to do this with pagans jews or blacks because they are cowards. Theirs a great Psychology Book Called "Faith of the Fatherless" by Christian Psychologist Paul Vitz that explans whats actually wrong with these people. in short the God haters come in flavors of: Daddy beat me, Daddy left me, Daddy touched me, Daddy Died, or daddy was Weak. lol
    Last edited by JohnChrysostom; 04-06-2020 at 03:38 PM.

In a discussion with her about the 'Angel of the Lord' I did some research. These links are wiki (I know) but I did check out what I could and most is correct - that I have investigated.
    Very good 'general' reading and now I think I can 'label' my beliefs - if a label is really needed. True, we don't 'know it all', can't 'prove' anything.
    These don't 'promote' any particular 'religion' just try to show the various 'concepts'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundam...st_controversy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Christianity
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Gospel
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-existence_of_Christ
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_the_Lord
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    It's laffable for non-Christians to be "annoyed" while posting in a theology forum they have freely entered into simply to make sure other people, others who neither know them or care what they think, just to make sure that we know exactly what they don't like about us!

That takes normal ego and sense of entitlement to another level ... but it is funny to read!
    That is how you see this forum? Christians vs. the World?

I see this forum as a place to discuss Theology of all forms and not a battle but a discussion. The main annoyance are ad hominem attacks for stating an opinion. We can disagree but we should not be disagreeable.

Tim

I suggest this as a case in point. From a post in this thread.

"Atheists are raised by TV to believe they have a superior position & superior intellect instead of a mental health issue and being a few eggs short of dozen."

I find this kind of insult annoying and if directed at a particular individual would be a violation of the site rules.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Cast Boolits Owner

Y’all slow down now. Don’t think for a moment we won’t hand out infractions in the chapel.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Moderator Emeritus

Good point No. 1. I didn't mean to instigate dissension here. I only intended for us all to think, myself included, before posting. There are those here who see any comment that states an honest opinion, that counters their own beliefs, is an "insult." Tim's comment above is a good example of this. Insults are NOT mere disagreements about what is true and what is not. Insults are slapping faces, etc. Arguing involves some give and take, and some seem unable to "give."

But in the end, all I intended was to recognize that not all questions are worthy of a well considered answer. Questions all too often contain assumptions that are pretty obviously erroneous, and thus, cannot lead us to truth or light. I think all of us here seek truth and light, with a few exceptions possibly. We therefore need to pursue light and wisdom, and leave the red herring questions go by the wayside. That's my 2 cents' worth, anyway, FWIW.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    There are those here who see any comment that states an honest opinion, that counters their own beliefs, is an "insult." ... Arguing involves some give and take, and some seem unable to "give."
    Well and truly said.

Boolit Grand Master
    God gave us intellect and the desire for knowledge. Not all questions are attacks on God. Some want answers where answers may not exist...but the questions remain.

In John 20:24-29, Thomas doubts what the other Disciples told him about the resurrection of Jesus. And Thomas was a Disciple...he wanted "proof".

Not everyone is at the same point in their faith journey. If I am at "mile marker" 10 and another is at "mile marker" 100, I am far behind and need to catch up. We need to help those on the path if we can...it is what evangelism is about...is it not?

Dennis, you know how far behind the curve I started. I am still not where men like you are...and I may never get there. But at least I believe in Jesus and God, even if I see them differently. Baby steps are better than none.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Dverna, you're doing very well. You're one of the most determined and devout seekers of answers I've ever known. That will lead you, if you don't get too tied up in what you WANT, it'll lead you to where you really need to be, and to an understanding that will never be extinguished. That's all as it's supposed to be. Just don't resort to mere existentialism in your reasoning. It' far too limited to hold all that God has given us. Keep searching. Some answers may elude you for decades, as they did with me. But you'll get there by and by, and many answers will be found rather readily if you just approach the questions from the proper angle. Your progress, and seeing evidence of it, makes me very happy. You're a true believer, and as you collect answers, looking at them can lead you to yet more answers when you see patterns developing. I wish you all the best in your earnest searches. They kept me busy enough to keep me out of (most) trouble! ;^)