WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: new canning experiment yesterday

Banned

new canning experiment yesterday

in these hard times im more dedicated to putting up a lot of canned beans, chili, soup ect. I got looking on line and found that some can hamburger. So yesterday I canned 20lbs. What you do is brown it (I added onion) , mostly to get rid of most of the fat. Drain it off then put it in jars. A small jar will hold almost a lb and a large jar 2lbs. Don't pack it. what I did to fill the jars was put a folded towel on the counter and kind of hit the bottom of the jar on it to pack in more meat. Then you add a teespoon of salt or two for a large jar and fill about 3/4s full with beef bullion. Pressure cook them one hour for pints 75 minutes for quarts. Even if it wasn't such hard times it makes sense. You can spend a couple hours prepping this burger and when you want to make tacos, chili, sloppy joes, spaghettis ect all you do is grab a jar and dump it in. it will never freezer burn and will last for years and it frees up space in your freezer for other things.

Boolit Buddy
    Similar to what we do for deer meat . It never hurts to be prepared. When all this stay at home stuff hit it didn't bother me I can live off what I have canned and frozen for a good long time . My kids all said dad this won't bother you much lol . I even had all my paper products stocked up .I still have over a case and a half of TP to fall back on .

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I am down to my last couple of jars of hamburger, it works great for quick meals. Open dump in skillet add flavoring such as taco seasoning. One thing I do instead of salt is I add a tsp of beef bullion powder per quart jar and 1/2 tsp for a pint.

Once I start running low on projects I want to fire up the canner again, more hamburger, some beans, chili, maybe some jambalaya, fajitas and and beef and peppers...darn not I am starting to get hungry.

Banned

recipe I found on line had you putting the meat in adding a teaspoon of salt and taking 12 bullion cubes and 2 quarts of water to make a broth and filling them to about 3/4s full after adding the meat and onion mix. I used to do about a 100lbs of canned venison a year. I really liked it but the wife didn't so I just kind of quit doing it. This year im going to have to start again. IF nothing else it would be nice to have on hand for times like this. Id bet even my wife would prefer it to beans and rice.
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    I am down to my last couple of jars of hamburger, it works great for quick meals. Open dump in skillet add flavoring such as taco seasoning. One thing I do instead of salt is I add a tsp of beef bullion powder per quart jar and 1/2 tsp for a pint.

Once I start running low on projects I want to fire up the canner again, more hamburger, some beans, chili, maybe some jambalaya, fajitas and and beef and peppers...darn not I am starting to get hungry.

Boolit Master
    When I can venison, I do the fresh pack method. Just put venison chunks in a jar, leaving some headspace, add something like a tsp of salt, close the lid, and into the pressure canner for 60 mins, pints, 90 fir quarts. You don't have to add liquid, as it makes its own. What I want to do is look for instructions to pressure can dry beans.

Boolit Master

you may want to leave the salt out just for your own good, everything published today calls for more salt than is needed. we have been freeze drying hamburger and that works really well, nothing added to the recipe except hamburger and its shelf stable for 25 years or so they say.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you may want to leave the salt out just for your own good, everything published today calls for more salt than is needed. we have been freeze drying hamburger and that works really well, nothing added to the recipe except hamburger and its shelf stable for 25 years or so they say.
    Yup, my understanding is that the salt is for flavor not actually preserving when you pressure can. I leave it out in most of the stuff I can because depending on what I turned the canned product into I can add salt as needed.

Boolit Master

one other word of advice, try using some for a meal and make sure you like eating the end product before you can up 100 jars of something, learned that one the hard way.

Banned

why would you need to pressure can dry beans? They last about forever as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    When I can venison, I do the fresh pack method. Just put venison chunks in a jar, leaving some headspace, add something like a tsp of salt, close the lid, and into the pressure canner for 60 mins, pints, 90 fir quarts. You don't have to add liquid, as it makes its own. What I want to do is look for instructions to pressure can dry beans.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    why would you need to pressure can dry beans? They last about forever as is.
    I wouldn't can plain beans, because it would be a waste. When I can beans they are in either ham and bean soup or my family's baked bean recipe.

Boolit Master

you dont pressure can dry beans, it wont work. you can oven pack them to seal in jars or the best thing is to get one of the seal a meal adapters for jars and use it to pull a vacuum in your canning jars. like lloyd said you dont have to can dry beans, we have a couple of 55 gallon barrels of pinto's that we have been eating on for a few years, bout time to grow another patch of them.

Had deer tacos made with burger canned in 2015 for lunch on Sunday. Used the method Lloyd described. Canning dry beans with water in jars results in the best cooked beans you could ever want. A little dehydrated onion and a bit of liquid smoke and you have a one jar meal.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

USMC 77, USRA 79

yummmmmmyyyyyy
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Had deer tacos made with burger canned in 2015 for lunch on Sunday. Used the method Lloyd described. Canning dry beans with water in jars results in the best cooked beans you could ever want. A little dehydrated onion and a bit of liquid smoke and you have a one jar meal.
    Hijack alert!!
    Thumbcocker, when you can dry beans, do you cook them first? Soak overnight? Or do you put dry beans in a bottle, add water, onion and liquid smoke and can them? How full do you fill the bottle with beans?

Now back to the OP's topic. I had not thought of canning hamburger. I may have to give it a try. Thanks!!

The beans are not soaked. Just sorted and put in the jar with the liquid smoke and dried onion then boiling water is added and the jar is pressure canned. Beans cook while canning and get plump and tender. Only takes 1/3 or 1/4 cup (recipe is at home) for a pint jar. Remember dry beans swell a lot. Several youtube videos on this topic.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    The idea of canning dry beans is that once canned, they can be used any time without delay. It would be the same as canning venison as opposed to freezing it. Once canned, it's ready to use anytime, without having to thaw it out.

Boolit Master
    Thanks!
    I figured they cooked while pressure canning, but coulden't wrap my pointed little head around how to deal with the plumping beans. I had in my mind filling the bottle with dry beans, adding water and cleaning broken glass and beans from the canner.
    Off to YouTube University for me.