MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman T-Mag II Ram

Lyman T-Mag II Ram

I have two presses - a Rockchucker Supreme SS and a Lyman T-Mag II turret press.

RCBS replaced the ram in the RC. The slot for the shell holder was not centered. All OK. And the ram is solid and has no or little slop.

The Lyman handle and ram have a lot of slop by comparison. I have read that this can actually aid in centering the case during sizing and bullet seating by allowing the ram to align to center the case in the die, and it is possible a rotating die holder requires greater tolerances. But the slop bothers me even though I only use the Lyman turret press for pistol ammunition, and then mostly plinking ammo. It probably makes no practical difference in the quality or the target (in my case). (The die holder itself does not move - the support in back is fine.)

Is there any harm or benefit in fitting brass bushings between the handle, linkage, and ram, to remove some of the tolerances?

No, it’s your time, do with it what you want.

Banned
    Get enough wave washers to take up the slack in the pivot block/ frame fit. Then decide how you like it. A little play in the ram doesn't always hurt anything, but it can be disturbing to our sense of how things work. Getting a brass shim in the frame and around the ram, then keeping it in there could take a lot of work and provide a project that keeps you out of the house during the confinement.

Out of the house = my garage. I have a bar of brass stock and HF/CM/Griz 3in1 with which I can form brass washers. But I will look for wave washers first. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    fn1889m, on second thought. I took a look at my press this afternoon. I bought it new in 1999 as a gift for a friend who has since passed away and the press is mine again.
    The link arms and pivot block are looser than a goose. But, the problem seems to be the size of the pins, or holes, take your pick. If you can make bronze bushings to fit the pins and open up the holes in the link arms it looks like the flop and slop will be gone.
    At least on the press I have.

95% of the slop is in the block and not the ram, but it gets translated to the handle. So the handle has no feel for the amount of resistance.

With the RC press the tighter dimensions seem to transfer a working “feel” to the handle, even if I am using the press to only seat primers or crimp. I have arthritis in my hands so I do a lot on the press, including seating primers.

Even washers to take up the lateral travel on the T-Mag would help a lot in making the handle transfer more of a touch. Just another project. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro