WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Light mold for 12.7x44R, will this work?

Light mold for 12.7x44R, will this work?

I have a new to me Husqvarna Roller that I would like to feed a light load of smokeless under a lighter projectile.
    I want to PC, so I will not be using the lube groove, but I want some place for the lead to be able to flow when getting squished into the .476" lands.
    The historical bullet weight for this cartridge was in the 385 grain range and several have said 350s worked better. I only intend to kill paper, so weight is of no advantage to me. I really could not find a 350 that I liked as much as this 320.

The bore measures .509x.476", almost hexagonal.

I am considering this Accurate mold;

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=51-320C-D.png

1) Is there an issue with having a projectile that has shorter bearing surface than bore size?

2) Am I really going to see an advantage with having the large lube grooves to allow the lead to flow?

3) Any other considerations that I should be thinking about?

Thank you for your help, Tim.

Boolit Master
    Tim, that looks like a fine mold for your purpose.
    You might also consider the Lee 518-360 sold by Lodgewood to feed the various .50 Civil War carbines. I have this mold for my Spencer .56-50 replica. You would have to size down your boolits a bit for your Husky. I never fired smokeless in the ones I had, but did discover that I could shoot up leftover .56-50 cartridges in my last Swede roller with surprisingly good accuracy. These were BP loads, boolits lubed with SPG. Those 12.7 barrels can "squoosh" a lot of lead.
    http://www.lodgewood.com/518-Two-Cav...ain_p_553.html

Thank you for the feedback Albert. The cost conscious part of me likes the price of that Lodgewood mold. It would definitely would need sized down as the chamber of my rifle would not like the .518 plus the brass thickness. Nearest I can come to a measurement seems to be about .529"

Boolit Master

This is what the Swedish 12,7mm barrel looks like. When I measured my rifle I got .477" land diameter and .500" groove diameter using pin gauge and telescoping gauges. I shoot .510" cast bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12744R1.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	259956