RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any point in using cast in my 30-06 if they shoot well out of 308?

Any point in using cast in my 30-06 if they shoot well out of 308?

Long story short, long time ago I had experimented with the Lee 200 gr 30cal bullet, gas checked.
    Out of the thin air, I had taken the load of 34 or 36 gr of 4064 and just tried it at the range in my Stevens 200 in 308.
    It had printed less than a 3" group at 100 yards and I called it a day since there were many more other activities underway, with my children being young teenagers and taking all of my spare time.
    Now those same children are adults and one of them bought a Rem 783 in 30-06. Actually, two of them - one for himself and another for his brother.
    And now I am wondering if it makes any sense to do any load development for the same bullet in 30-06, considering that the 308 shoots it well enough with that reduced load.
    Your thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Yes and no. The 06 case is larger so same load will give less velocity. Probably still ok for hunting or plinking.

If you were after more accuracy then you'd want to fine tune it a bit.

The other issue is more important. Are the bores the same size (groove and lands)? If they are then just load them up and go shoot. If not you may need a different sizing die. Remember that the Lee bullets have a substantial portion that fits in the bore as the round is chambered so the groove and bore dia are important (groove dia for the sizing die, bore dia for the size of the forward portion of the Lee bullet).

I say find a good load for the 30-06 also. That way you have some choices when it comes to shooting fun.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I shoot cast in both, but ya need to work up the charges separately.

Something I have made but haven't fired yet is 'the load' for it.
    It was developed years ago with cast and various amounts of Red Dot for both.

Do a little digging, there's some good articles on it from years past.

You won't really get much more horse power from the .30-06, compared to the .308,
    but its great to practice with or hunt smaller stuff with out to 100 or so.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

A great reason is you have the mould , you have the rifle and who knows what you may or may not find at the ammo getting place in the days to come .
    I have moulds and worked up loads for every firearm I own .

That 200 grain Lee boolit over 13 grains of Red Dot is a winner in my 30-06 1903-A3 Springfield sporter .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

But if a reduced load shoots it fine out of 308, what more could 30-06 offer on top of this?
    Yes, I totally get it that in the scenario when each of use goes our own way with our rifles, than yes, of course, we could load both of the respective calibers, but since we essentially share our arsenal, I get the feeling that 30-06 could not offer the higher velocity than 308 with this bullet. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I get the feeling that 30-06 could not offer the higher velocity than 308 with this bullet. Am I wrong?
    With cast, no it won't.
    Either one hits the speed limits well before j-words do.
    That's why copper jackets came along in the first place, to go faster than lead when steel & powder was improved.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I think the answer is "J" boolits cost lots of money, if you have the cast boolits then nothing lost in trying them in the 30.06.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    And when your WWI & WWII 7 Korean veteran in 30-06 starts putting them in the same hole or very close together well that's just icing on the cake. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    But if a reduced load shoots it fine out of 308, what more could 30-06 offer on top of this?
    Yes, I totally get it that in the scenario when each of use goes our own way with our rifles, than yes, of course, we could load both of the respective calibers, but since we essentially share our arsenal, I get the feeling that 30-06 could not offer the higher velocity than 308 with this bullet. Am I wrong?
    I think you misunderstand what is being said.

Your existing load will work in the larger case. It will have a lower velocity. It may or may not be as accurate.

If it is not as accurate as you want there can be two issues. 1) bore size may be slightly different or 2) you need to tweak the powder charge a bit.

So, try your load in the other rifle and see what happens.

Boolit Master

Seems like loading in a .30-06 is a no-brainer. Assuming you intend to load for your kids, they'll have a practice load for the hunting rifles they'll actually hunt with.

The issue I've had with the .308 is SPACE - both in the neck for the lube grooves of the average cast bullet, and in the magazine for longer noses. You'll have a bit more flexibility with the bigger case, longer neck and longer action.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Your point on velocity for the 308 as being satisfactory for your needs is well taken and from a practical stand point, it does make sense. But, for me at least getting to shoot a different rifle is part of the fun factor. Who knows, the '06 may surprise you and absolutely shoot the lights out. Try it and find out. Do a load work up on it and enjoy the experience of getting in some trigger time.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

My scoped 30.06 Springfield, never been happy with it's grouping with 210gn cast boolits!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy

My 30-06 is my "cast only" rifle, it's a model 70 featherweight and I've never enjoyed it more than I am now with cast boolits. I'm currently shooting the Saeco #315

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you are only getting a three inch group, I'd recommend working on your load more. Even my old military rifles will shoot half of that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    06' like everything else is nearly a buck a round , if you can shoot the rifles for $10-12/100 and be proficient with THAT rifle then I see no reason not to load and shoot it in the 06' . That's just me and I'd load them up with Unique and shoot half size targets at 50,75,100 to simulate 100,150&200 .

It's really whatever you choose to do . I know life too often doesn't let us live .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

The advantage is having another gun that you can shoot cast in. If all you are interested in is punching targets with one gun that is fine. If you want versatility in your guns why not see what they can do with cast? It is a little like having one car as a work commuter and never going to get groceries in it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

If shooting cast in your 308 interests you then work with it and see just how well it can shoot cast. You may find it can shoot them very well. If it shoots them well enough it might get your boys interested in trying cast in there 30-06's.
    It just may turn into a father/son bonding thing. Never a bad thing.
    Leo

Boolit Master

I don't need much of an excuse to try loading cast for another caliber, especially if I already have a mold, brass, etc. I'd back off the charge a bit on the 308 and consider using some dacron filler...

Banned

The .30-06 has some advantages over the .308 where cast is concerned, mainly longer neck and most rifles seem to have a longer throat.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but this is a dumb question. You have a .30 caliber mold, you have a .30 caliber rifle, why would you not shoot cast out of it? It saves tons of money and allows you to shoot so much more, if you're gonna own a base hunting rifle like that, shoot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast