Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Russian Jr ammo

Russian Jr ammo

I've found two bricks of this ammo. Has anyone tried this before? I've been laid off and want to save my match ammo. If so, is it consistent, or dirty or what?
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I used a couple of boxes last year with grandson #1, oldest one, just plinking and they functioned fine. Can’t speak to the accuracy aspect but we were hitting coke cans at 20 to 30 yards. I didn’t notice how clean or dirty the ammo was as we only had 100 rounds. Not much to go but I hope it helps. Steve
    Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Just shoot it...

Boolit Master
    I bought a brick about a year ago and have tried it in several 22s. It's just average brick type plinking stuff as far as accuracy goes. No misfires from a box or so I've shot so far. Didn't pay much attention to whether it's dirty or not but it didn't cause any problems in 3 old semi auto rifles I have tried it in.

Boolit Master

I bought a brick at a gun show when 22lr was in short supply.
    If I remember correctly it had steel cases.
    It was somewhat dirty but shot fine through my Ruger MKII with out a hitch.
    I didn`t sit down a test for accuracy from the bench but it was fine for plinking...dale

They had a green boxed junior ammo (steel cases) and the yellow boxed ammo (brass cases). Typical lots of either ammo would run in the 1025fps/1050fps range and was used in sport pistols and free pistols. When they started importing the junior ammo they also imported Olympic pistols. This was good for people just starting out in bullseye shooting, quality firearms and ammo for little $$$$.

This combo, a IZH-35m sport pistol and the yellow boxed junior ammo allowed shooters to compete at the state level with several people winning state championship matches with them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

A little perspective:
    That combo pictured above uses the same recoil spring that the s&w model 41 does. The difference is you cut the spring in 1/2 to use it in the IZH-35m.

Boolit Master

I had some of the light green boxed steel cased Junior ammo years back. It wasn't all that great.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    The steel-case Junior sometimes gives trouble when fired in .22s with light mainsprings, and the Parkerizing or whatever they coated the shells with sometimes gives extraction problems. You just have to try it in your individual gun and see.

The brass-case Junior gives neither of these problems. I always preferred that when I had the choice.

Both types do have the occasional dud (which generally fires if you turn the rim for a second try) and the sound of firing one occasionally seems a little weaker than average. However, they were never worse, dud-wise, than the cheaper standard-velocity white-box Winchester stuff, a little more accurate than the Remington Golden Bullet and a lot more accurate than the retro brown box “Peters” .22s.

The Russians have taken individual marksmanship a lot more seriously than we in this country do, at least since WWII. The ammo reflects this: the lowest level Junior was plenty good enough for casual shooting and practice, and the higher grades (when they could be found) were quite good indeed, from my limited experience with them. Before Clinton lowered the boom on ammo imports from Russia, I used to grab a 500-round carton of Juniors every Gun Show I attended, when they were $5.45 (and Winchester Wildcat, the next cheapest, was $9.45), and the stash sustained me through the Obama bubble and drought.

The box labels said that the steel Juniors were manufactured at the “Klimovsk Stamping Plant.” Conjures up a different mental image than “Winchester-Western” or “Remington-Peters,” for sure.

Thanks for the replies. I bought a brick of it for $25.00. I found it just like bentramrod said. Some had to be fired a couple time to get it to go off. As far as accuracy it was consistently inconsistent. Two shots would touch then about a half inch or so two more would touch then the fifth would go back to where the first two were. All shooting was done at fifty yards with a TC Contender with a rifle scope from a rest. Definitely tree rat or whatever you want to shoot accurate enough.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    May be worth more to a Collector. Poor to average ammo & probably 20 years old.

A friend of mine purchased several cases of the brass cartridge cases. Something like 60000 rounds of the stuff. One lot of two cases was as good as the Eley Black Box. He used it to practice prone and shoot 50 foot indoor matches with that lot. It would score 100 on the international dot 10 ring target, not all the time but probably 8 out of ten times. He was really good at prone. I had a couple of cases of the stuff and mine was never even close to the accuracy of his best lot.
    M. Stenback

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I had some of the light green boxed steel cased Junior ammo years back. It wasn't all that great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    The steel-case Junior sometimes gives trouble when fired in .22s with light mainsprings, and the Parkerizing or whatever they coated the shells with sometimes gives extraction problems. You just have to try it in your individual gun and see.

>>>SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by old woody View Post
    May be worth more to a Collector. Poor to average ammo & probably 20 years old.
    I agree with all these. During the '13-'14 shortage, I bought a few bricks of the green box Junior at a gunshow, I suspect they were a decade old at that time. I found them extremely dirty when shooting in a semi-auto. A friend of mine wanted one of my Bricks, so he got one, I'm saving the last brick, to sell to a collector a few days before I die
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I bought about ten bricks of Junior.Then tried a brick of Temp and one brick of "sniper. The last in the was Olympic. didn't start getting meaningful accuracy until the sniper was up at bat. Fewer flyers better cluster groups and when I got to the Olympic it was shooting like match ammumition. I used a little BSA single shot rifle Sitting on a bench and targets were 50 yards away..Frank

Boolit Master

I had my green box Junior around the 97-98 time frame. IIRC I had poor accuracy, extraction problems and some split cases. It was given to me by a guy in my battalion. I shot some of it and I believe I threw the rest in the trash.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few bricks of that left, have not used in a while but it shot well when I was trying it.
    Barry