Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Plastic bullets in 45 acp

Boolit Buddy

Plastic bullets in 45 acp

May not be correct place to post, so moderator please move if needed.
    Been here at house for over 2 wks. Going through all the odds and ends and found a box of Speer 45 caliber plastic bullets. Box says loading instructions inside but since these were in a large box of 'stuff' from gun show, no instructions.
    I decided to take a few 45 acp cases and drill flash hole with #29 bit to enlarge (cases are marked on heads with file cut for identification). Using large pistol magnum primers only, no powder, to move out of the barrel of a 4.625 Ruger BH.
    I think this will work but am asking if anyone has any experience with these. Assuming more powerful than you would expect so shooting will be in back yard into a plastic tub filled with old rags. Target will be taped to cardboard pizza box top.
    Speak up guys.
    Thanks, Steve

Boolit Grand Master
    That is exactly how it is supposed to be done. Have fun.

Boolit Grand Master

I've shot lots of Speer plastic bullets of 38, 44 and 45 calibers. They will woke as you've made them. A wet patch (bore solvent) run through the bore to swab the primer residue [pretty gritty stuff] every cylinder full will help accuracy. I used a box with a dowel through it with an old heavy towel draped over it as a bullet catch. Shot them in my garage at 30'.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to both of you. Larry, the #29 drill bit flash hole came from you. Use it wit my .30-30 single shot, 90 gr lswc, 2.7 grs BE.
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    I have done exactly the same with the plastic bullets.

What we used to do when I was a kid was to melt canning wax in a cake pan about 3/8" deep and let it cool. Then take your prepped and primed brass and insert the mouth straight down into the wax, rock it to the side and pull it out. One wax bullet ready to shoot down the hallway from the living room at a bullet trap fashioned from cardboard.

My parents were avid shooters and shooting in the living room seemed normal. I am not sure that my wife would be terribly enthused if I tried that today

Boolit Master

I shot some of those rubber bullets back in the 60's and used a box with a hole cut out in one end about 12" in diameter to tape a target over. Then as stated, I used towels folded over a stick except I used 2 towels because I was shooting inside the house at about 16' distance. They were surprising accurate. I also shot wax bullets made by melting the wife's canning wax in a pan and pushing empty, drilled and primed .38 Special cases into it to form a bullet inside the case. At the time I was not making enough money to buy ammo so I had to improvise. I still have the rubber bullets. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Buddy
    Used to shoot a lot of them and still have a few boxes.

Switched over to the laser lyte and rumble tumble now.

less work and a one time investment.

whole setup was 400 or so with 6 laser bullets and the rumble tumble

Rich
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Groo here
    Dad and I spent many a night shooting the Speer 38 plastic bullet and case [RIP]
    in the basement against a heavy blanket free hanging.

Boolit Grand Master

The 38 special Speer plastic bullets I had were black and they came with red plastic cases .
    Primer powered and both the cases and bullets were reusable .
    Cant remember what I poked the primers out with ... finishing nail in the end of a wood dowel rod.
    Cardboard box filled with stack of newspaper . Be careful , they will break the skin .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Gary, how do you know they will break the skin, huh? james