Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS Posi-Prime Tool Part

RCBS Posi-Prime Tool Part

Picked up one of these with missing parts which I think include at least the cup assemblies. Sent RCBS an email weeks ago but have yet to hear a response. Will newer model parts be compatible? If so, can someone point me to a part number? Thanks in advance. Be well!
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

These are what you need. Sorry for the lousy pictures but that's all this tablet will let me do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200405_102211.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	259779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200405_102150.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	259780
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Yes and finding them is the real fly in the ointment. I think that the Polsi-Prime is the best hand primer put on the market by a major reloading company with the little early Lee threaded hand primer a close second. I have 5 or 6 of each. I had a couple of guys promise to make some RCBS style stems for me, I have several of the Posi-Primes and the promises quickly faded for some reason. I did pay one fellow $25.00 to make a couple of them but he never answered me back when I asked if he would make more. I figured he lost money on the time and effort on the first 2 and did not want to go thru that again. I can't say that I blame him either. I did have one fellow write me a pm and say that he "thought" that the primer stems for one of the 2 bench RCBS seaters would fit but he wasn't sure which one fit. RCBS would not answer my question when I called them about it, all they would say was that the Posi-Prime had been out of production for quite some time and they had no more seater stems for it in stock. I don't really blame them though, they are in the business of selling new tools and not in keeping older "obsolete" out of production tools working. It is counter productive for them to do so. I wish you good luck on finding stems for your tool. james

Boolit Master

They are very similar to the ram-prime rods. I have an older bench mounted priming tool which uses the ram-prime rods also. RCBS doesn't support my tool but they do the ram-prime unit so I have been able to get replacements.
    The ones in the picture do look shorter than what I have but if Minerat could post length and diameter I can check mine to see if they are the same.
    I have had much better luck with RCBS with a phone call.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master

The Ram-prime stems measure .247" x 2.610", the length being with the stem, cup, and spring installed. The ones pictured above look shorter but may not be. If the diameter is the same and they are indeed shorter I may be able to help. If I can find them I think I have a set where the rod has become peened and would be an excellent candidate to be shortened to work with your tool.
    Send me a PM if I can help,
    Rick

Rcbs part number 09549 Primer Rod Assembly found in the RCBS parts book here.

https://www.rcbs.com/parts-book.html

I knew I could find it if I thought long enough.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

The solid lower part of the seater is 0.89" long and 0.233" dia. The bottom 0.10" section of the stem is 0.24" dia. This is to catch the retainer in the handle. The seater length is 0.730" long and appears to be the same sleave/spring/stem assembly as that on the Ram prime system. The Ram prime stem will not fit the hand prime unit, I tried it and no go. Hope this helps.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Minerat,
    Will the ram-prime rods not fit because they are too long? or is it because of the "step" in the stem? I have a set from a ram-prime unit that I can ship to Mark if they can be modified to fit his tool.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Banned
    Ive used on of these for 25 years

PM sent.
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Rick,

They are too long and to big in diameter to fit in the handle. They could probably be shortened but would have to be turned down to be used.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I have one, it takes the same priming assemblies as the old Std Tool.

Problem with them is the priming assemblies will fall out when the tool is turned sideways or upside down. That's how you lose them.

About 10yrs ago RCBS told me they no longer had any replacements.

Great priming tool.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

OP -

The Posi-Prime is also my fave hand priming tool. It's the only one I use. Parts are no longer available from RCBS, as you probably know.

Getting the bases in which the priming stems screw will be your hardest effort. I have personally used the large and small priming stems, cups and springs from my RCBS Rockchucker priming unit for use in the Posi-Prime bases. They work perfectly. So, those parts are readily available.

The bases will not wear out, but they can get lost as mentioned above, so if you can get a couple of them, the other parts are readily available from RCBS.

Good luck!

Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 04-08-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"