WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: New glasses- had to go shooting

Boolit Master

New glasses- had to go shooting

I finally got new glasses, ordered online, received in a week. It took a few days to get used to them, I now have ‘old’ eyes that don’t refocus as quickly as they used to. Also got a script for bifocals, will order them next, just got single prescription glasses this time.

What an amazing difference, I can see again. My eyes went bad young, and then pretty much stabilized for decades so I could go for many years without change. I guess I just got complacent and didn’t notice until recently how bad they were.

If you think you need new glasses, stop mucking around and get them, you won’t be sorry.

Tried shooting both open sighted pistol and scoped rifle, eye sight was wonderful. Shooting ability was another story that I would prefer not to admit.
    I didn’t practice much last year, and while I made it to the range twice this year it was to take my daughter shooting and another quick trip to function test a lot of 22 before a case purchase.

This time I took target stands and was prepared for some serious practice. Instead I ended up making expensive noise.

I did learn/reinforce a few things-
    1- I am not a natural shooter, any skill I have is hard earned and disappears quickly. In short I sucked, badly.

2- physical conditioning, I need to get in shape, I had trouble holding the firearms still and was sore at the end of a relatively short session.

3- my hands shake more than they used to, and I had less than one cup of coffee. I am only 46, I shouldn’t be falling apart this badly, might be something to look into.

4-Scope eye relief- I have never had the best luck with glasses and scopes, used to make sure I wore contacts when hunting with scopes.
    I can see fine through my scope on my AR, if my cheek is almost off the end of the stock. Not comfortable nor easily repeatable. Scope is already in a cantilevered Mount. I can move the scope 1/2” forward in the mount, but I would like 2-3 inches to get a more comfortable cheek weld.
    But having long arms I would also enjoy a longer length of pull on the stock.
    Older midrange Vortex 4x12, not crossfire, diamondback maybe.

Even with my horrible performance it was a nice day at the range and I have a plan to address some of the issues.
    I will get better, just sad to see how far I have fallen.

But the glasses are wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

It sounds like the scope on your AR is better suited on a handgun with eye relief like your describing

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Even with my horrible performance it was a nice day at the range
    Sometimes just the smell makes it worthwhile.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    46! your just a kid, try 72. And my shooting club closed all our ranges. I am still trying to figure why on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Sometimes just the smell makes it worthwhile.
    Those first few rounds when the smell of the powder is fresh...

Shotgun powder is, I think, my favorite.

I should add that I could be a tad off... I also like the smell of freshly caught fish.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk