Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 20 gauge wad volume noob question

20 gauge wad volume noob question

Here on planet lock-down I have dug out that old mec 20ga to see what could be done. I have a question I don't remember running across before. I have some ballistic products SG20M Sporting 20ga wads which should hold a published 3/4 to 7/8 oz of 7.5 shot. For the life of me I can only fit barely 5/8 in there. Whats the deal? My understanding was always that the shot had to be in the wad to protect it from the barrel, do I just pile it on till I get to 7/8? Someone shed some light on this for me please.

Boolit Master

Pile it on' see if it will crimp properly. I have found that BPI publishes lots of loads that mwy be functional but obviously have never been tried outside of computer models.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I filled one up, and the level looks right. I have never piled it above the shot cup before. Will give it a try and report back.

Boolit Buddy

That is designed to hold 75% of the shot charge. The remaining unprotected 25% comprises the essential and lethal peripheral fringe of the pattern. The 75% protected shot charge fills in the pattern very well. A mid range target wad of new design
    Last edited by Walla2; 04-05-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Interesting, their write up did describe the 75/25 patterning, and the ratios seem to be right with what i am seeing while loading. Thanks for the explanation! I will be curios to see if there is any pellet scrub in the barrel or choke.

Okay, some results. I tried two loads both with universal clays. 5/8 load 24g, and 7/8 load 19g. The 5/8 needed a gas seal to make up the extra room. I used a 20 inch circle of cardboard at 40 yards, modified choke. 5/8 got 50 pellets on the board, and 7/8 got 60 pellets. Hard to tell if there was any pellet scrub till I shoot it some more and then clean.

Boolit Master
    I understand your questioning the load , the first time I loaded a 3 1/2 10 gage with a sp 10 wad I thought I had done something wrong - like forgetting to charge the hull with powder ....... Hogtamer BPI is not the only one

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the question as I have been looking at the same wad for 20 gauge for 3/4 oz loads. I was wanting to shoot Fiocchi hulls with the SGM20 wad for skeet in an auto but have not gotten around to buying any yet. Now I have tried Remington Gun Clubs with the Claybuster green 3/4 oz wad that seems to be perfect for 3/4 oz loads. I have loaded them with good results but I am looking at trying the Fiocchi hulls just to get some loaded if the ranges ever open again. I am new to skeet and to 20 gauge loading but looking for results from you on your loads. Enjoying the time reloading has always been a favorite pastime for me.