Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pedersoli High wall scrapes block when ejecting

Boolit Mold

Pedersoli High wall scrapes block when ejecting

Howdy folks.. Just got a new Pedersoli high wall in 45-70.. When putting a cartridge in the cartridge rim scrapes the block pretty hard.. When ejecting, i have to pry rim past falling block with my fingernail... Pretty hard contact.... What's up? Anyone else had that problem?

Boolit Master
    Guess you paid a fair amount for that highwall and you should not have to go through all that for what you may have paid for that. I've had a couple Win high and low walls and never had that problem. My suggestion would be to contact the shop where you bought it and explain the problem and have them send it back to Pedersoli. The extractor on either high or low wall is just that,extracts the cartridge or fired case. The link may be the wrong size or the holes too far apart forcing the breech block
    higher than it should be. Or you could contact Pedersoli and explain the problem and they may either send a return authorization and send it to an authorized gunsmith or repair center. Ask if you should send the wood in as well. Friend of mine had both a high wall and a bunch of sharp's rifles. Never had a problem with any of them. Hope this helps. Definitely go back to Pedersoli never a local gunsmith. Unless he is well versed in high and low walls. Frank

Boolit Master
    Lee Shaver used to handle Pedersoli rifles. If they refer you him you're in good hands.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I purchased two new Pedersoli High Walls, and two of their Model 1886 lever guns about five or six years ago. All of them arrived defective....ALL OF THEM! They all went back and I got full refunds on them. I ended up getting a Winchester 1885 and a Winchester 1886 (Miroku made guns) and NONE of them had any problems and both shot fantastic. Lee Shaver is a stand up guy. He tells it like it is. He was the N. American repair center back then. Don't know if he still is or not. Pedersoli was having problems back then and it would have taken months to get them fixed. At that time there was no fix for the 1886 model. He'd been to Italy at the factory and said that there was a repairman at the end of the process doing some type of fix as they went out the door. Apparently it didn't work. All of their guns were made on state of the art CNC machines, but if they're programmed poorly or the design is not correct, none of that matters. I called Turnbull to see if they could fix them and they said they'd tried a couple to see if they could build their guns using the Pedersoli for a base and they had too many problems trying to get them to work. They might be better today, I don't know if they are or not. I do know that other than their Sharps copies I'll never own another Pedersoli rifle. I've had three of their Sharps copies and all three were excellent. They should stick to what they do best. Just my two cents.

Boolit Master
    That post is probably not making to OP feel better about his purchase. I wouldn't let this ruin my mind set on the Pedersoli. It's a minor set back. They are known for their cast boolit accuracy.

I'm planning to buy one. It's on the long list.. it's just a long list.

Boolit Mold
    yup.. the most I've ever paid for a gun,, and it don't work right... pretty bummed

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by high wall View Post
    yup.. the most I've ever paid for a gun,, and it don't work right... pretty bummed
    On the cases you did fire, did the firing pin strike dead center in the middle of the primer? If it was a high strike, the fix may not be very hard. It is a "gunsmithing" fix but not hard. However, me knowing what the real problem is a little like a doctor giving a diagnoses based on a phone call.

If the pin strike is well centered, the other reason I can think of may be, complete lever travel (opening) may be stopped by something that would need to be looked rifle at in hand.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I don't know how long you've had your gun, or where you got it, but have you tried to get some type of satisfaction from the seller? Maybe they'll take it back. If it's a new gun they owe you something.

After reading your post, I went and checked my Uberti High Wall (also a 45-70) since I guess the construction is pretty much the same as the Pedersoli? It has plenty of clearance but only when the lever is in the fully forward position. This is not a problem on this rifle, but perhaps something is blocking your lever from going "all the way"? It could be that a few well placed strokes with a file could do the trick. Also, I noticed when putting pressure on the trigger (with the block down) the block will lower a little bit further. It will not cure your problem but maybe it could work as a temporary fix.

Sad to say, my Uberti had its own set of problems. I had to put a bend in the tension-type main spring to increase the hammer blow, and also make a new firing pin bushing to correct for an off-center pin strike.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Ive recently had problems with 45/70 cases I never had before ...Ive been using a Marlin for 45 years ,and the latest cases jam under the extractor ....havent measured ,but maybe the rims are larger diameter .

Boolit Master
    are you using starline brass? If not try it.

Boolit Master

Chill beat me to it! For the problem mentioned the firing pin indentation is the first thing to look at because it can say a LOT about the problem. Lever travel is the next step if the pin indentation is centered, if lever travel is the problem it "should" be a fairly easy fix if the problem is what I think it is. I know I simply repeated what Chill had already pointed out but I wanted to second his suggestion as those steps he mentions followed in that order could very well identify the problem here.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Mold
    Well, Taylors sent me a shipping label to send the gun to Lee Shaver to get it fixed... I talked to him on the phone and we decided it couldn't be fixed over the phone... It's on It's way

Vendor Sponsor

Lee is good. I bet you will have no problem with it when you get it back. My guess is he will give the whole rifle a look over and make sure it is working well for you.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hope you get it taken care of without a lot of hassle. An educational thread. For what they cost, they should never leave the factory that way?

Curious - do any of their rolling blocks have such issues? I have run across several of their rolling blocks - very nice looking but pricey as well. One was in 45 Colt and the other in 38-55 ? IIRC. Tempted but not if there are scraping, etc. when loading / unloading, etc. Thanks.