Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Micrometer recommendation for barrel slugging?

Boolit Grand Master

I use Browne and Sharp slant lines for everyday use set of 1-6". Also have starrets a set of the "super mikes" . My best mikes are Mitytoyo digital used for gage work and fine measurements. these I have 1-3". At the bench a stand is handy at times. I normally wrap little finger in frame and use thumb and fore finger to close and tension. The big thing with Mikes is developing the "feel" of a measurement. Friction thimbles or ratchets can be a big plus for occasional users.

Several things that need to be done. Check zero when you pick it up. Only takes a min and assures they are right. clean anvils before use. Store partially open so the anvils arnt together. If you have gage blocks or pin gauges the mics can be checked at the measurement.

Boolit Master
    I'd have to echo the previous poster regarding mike's Starret,Brown and Sharp,and Mitutoyo. They aren't cheap and never were,but all are quality tools that will last longer than you. I have one old mike that is over 50 years old and still gages good with a 1" standard. And get a little mike stand while your at it. Flat base and the clamp that holds the mike is angled and sure makes it easier to hold a barrel slug and get accurate numbers. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I also have used luffkin, Toledo, fowlers, and some other brands. The lufkins were my grandfathers and pushing on 100 years old as accurate today as when he bought them. A used well cared for mike with take up on threads will remain accurate for many many years. Back when he started out in the trade a lot of tools were made in house or locally.

Boolit Man
    I have kind of been following this thread and it has been interesting. Now let me back up a step. I have worked most of my adult life as a precision tool maker and have spent a lot of money on the best micrometers I can get, Swiss made and very good. For the average person, for checking diameters and such the low cost micrometers imported from (yuck) China are for the most part pretty good. I purchased a set before I retired to use at home and they are very accurate and have a nice feel to them. I would take a look at CDC Machinery and Shares to see what kind of prices they offer on mics. They also sell the V anvil mics to measure the odd groove diameters. As much as I do hate to recommend stuff from that country, in my experience it has been of good quality and a very good price.
    Sam

Boolit Grand Master
    Nuclearcricket, you have hit upon our national problem concerning commerce with C***a. Their business model seems to be to build to the market, with sufficient quality that the customer won’t walk away, but at a low enough price to beat the competition cost-wise. With a nearly unlimited supply of labor and a huge backlog of raw or recyclable material, they can do this.

The question is, do we as Americans pay more to get the same stuff, or do we continue to let manufacturing of everything from toothpicks to jet planes move to where it is cheaper? I don’t have an answer, but I will say at this point, if I have a choice, what I buy isn’t coming from C***a. The stuff is so ubiquitous though, it’s hard to avoid!

Froggie

PS As previously stated, I’ve had measuring tools from the US, Japan, and C***a, and all fulfill their duties nicely, but I don’t expect to buy any more from the latter.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Man
    Mr Frog, I do agree with you 100%. I much prefer to purchase American made if I can. Made in China is at the bottom of my preference list. When I got the imported micrometer sets, one english and one metric, cost was a factor. I am at the point now where I don't see me making any further purchases of precision measuring equipment. I was once told that when you need something, go and buy the best and it will only hurt a little while and you will not have to worry bout things. My Etalon mic's are that way. 2 I purchased new, 3 I got used and I will never wear them out. They were the best I could find for the work I was doing at the time. Now my machining projects are just a hobby as I am retired. If a person can find good used American made at a reasonable price that would be the best way to go the way things are these days. That being said, one still has to work within ones budget. If you shop around and are careful you can find good buys on quality used tools. Someone that uses precision tools for a living will take good care of them and when they are ready to pass those tools on to the next owner they will still be in good working condition, they may not be as pretty as new but they till still work.
    I guess its almost down to the point where you need to let your conscious be your guide if you can.
    Sam

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, I bought a bunch of top shelf Starrett micrometers while taking machining classes, along with a couple of Mitutoyo dial calipers. I was given a 1” Mitutoyo mic that lives on a built in shelf on the side of my lathe.

BUUTTTT... I have a Chinese mic and dial caliper (marked Lyman) that get to travel around a lot in my range boxes and actually see the most use these days. They are counted expendable if lost, damaged, or stolen.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of the red Hornady digital calipers, @ 30$ each IIRC. And I think I've spent that much for batteries to keep them working. Got Fowler mic, the analog digital one. Better that way IMHO. For reloading purposes, I don't see the cost of the tool as an issue as long as you are not switching between say ... Lyman to Starrett ... tools while working on any particular project. But I am not a lifelong machinist, I could be wrong.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    It's interesting that dial calipers get a bad rap. I have measured quite a few objects with known diameter and they have always been spot on. Not saying a micrometer is a bad idea, only that I feel a good dial caliper can get you close enough. I have a micrometer too that I use for measuring valve shims on my motorcycles.

Boolit Grand Master

Several reasons for the calipers reputation Back in the day dial calipers were very suseptabled to chips dust dirt rough handling and coolant. Most didnt like the 1-100-0 dials 200 to revolution. A lot of them were also susceptible to imagination.
    Newer dials and digital s are much better.A drop or bump on the older one would usually jump a tooth. The digital calipers are really pretty good nonmagnetic scale is encased and no rack pinion to be fouled, also a much "smoother" feel to them

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I wouldn't for a couple reasons. First it's digital. I started using micrometers as a machine operator a couple years after I got out of high school and used a plain Starrett 1" mic. I used it steadily for about 12 years (daily) until I bought a Mitutoyo, again a 1" "standard mic. I used these to measure machined parts down to .0005" (learning to use a mic with a vernier type scale is simple and the "feel" is soon established). In all the time I used precision measuring tools I haven't found any digital type to be as reliable as a plain "analog" mics., and I like to see the hash marks lining uo rather than some numbers that "randomly" show up on a readout. (life long machinist/mechanic). If I were to recommend mics I'd say the ones sold by Lyman are as good as needed for reloading and will last many, many years if cared for properly. (I got a "Lyman" 1" mic after my good tools were stolen and it is accurate and working quite well after about 15 years use for reloading).

There are lots of hints to measuring an odd groove slug, but I have used two. First is using a sheet of shim stock (.002" is about as thin as can be managed easily) and wrap the slug and measure. Subtract twice the thickness of the shim for the slug diameter (if using .002 shim stock, subtract .004" from the measurement). I've been using mics for quite a while and I developed a good feel so I am able to measure odd grooved slug directly with good accuracy; I can slowly close the spindle on the slug while I am turning it and I can get an accurate measurement by feeling the slug as it is being turned in the mic. I think if one learns to use a mic good enough to get no more than .001" variations in their measurements, that's good for all reloading measuring chores.

Jes an old phart's opinion/experience...
    Those digital micrometers are fragile. I've bought a couple used and returned them as they were missing internal teeth here or there.

I've a boat load of micrometers; I bought them as an investment, used a few years ago.

Standard micrometers are pretty easy to read. 30 minutes fooling around and you will nearly be an ex spurt. The hardest part about using any micrometer is understanding how tight to turn the thumb wheel if it does not have a clutch, and how to position the tool against the part you are measuring.

For years I've been able to use a standard micrometer to measure to 0.0001" +/- 0.0001, but usually tighter.

0.0001" mics are great, and I would much rather have one than a typical 0.001" unit, but I never hesitate to read the less expensive mic down to gnat's eye. I'm usually right on, if not really close, over thousands of measurements.

(I always estimate the tenths on a 0.0001" micrometer before looking at the vernier..... and I am dead nuts on 9 of 10 times.)

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    I have two of the red Hornady digital calipers, @ 30$ each IIRC. And I think I've spent that much for batteries to keep them working. Got Fowler mic, the analog digital one. Better that way IMHO. For reloading purposes, I don't see the cost of the tool as an issue as long as you are not switching between say ... Lyman to Starrett ... tools while working on any particular project. But I am not a lifelong machinist, I could be wrong.
    I've bought Harbor Fright stainless steel calipers in the past for perhaps $15. They were perfectly adequate for any reloading task.

I have a Harbor Freight mic. it has the mechanical digital readout. The readout gets very close then I use the markings on the tumbler to be exact.
    The dial calipers I've had come from different places. Some are no name but have the seller's name on a sticker. I have both SAE and Metric dial calipers.
    On a barrel slug using the thin blades of a dial caliper will fit in the grooves on the slug and can give you a measurement of the bore size. There are more accurate ways, a mic with knife edge anvils would be better but calipers get you close enough for loading.
    On most fairly new weapons the bore sizes come close enough to not need slugging. Older black powder weapons and older weapons from foreign countries are more apt to not be at expected standards.
    These I use a pound cast to get the throat a well as bore and groove sizes.
    On any weapon I feel tight spots when running a tight patch through the bore I might slug to check.
    Slugging is a good thing to understand how to do for when it needs to be done.
    Even with slugging it still pays to experiment with different sizes to find what your rifle likes best.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    It's interesting that dial calipers get a bad rap. I have measured quite a few objects with known diameter and they have always been spot on. Not saying a micrometer is a bad idea, only that I feel a good dial caliper can get you close enough. I have a micrometer too that I use for measuring valve shims on my motorcycles.
    I agree a dial caliper was all I used for years on the loading bench and still what I use the most.
    I would add I watched a video of the Barnes ammunition assembly line , and the quality control checks they showed in that video were with a dial caliper

Boolit Master
    if you get a good starrett or mityoto veneer caliper it will work, but as others have said do yourself a favor and get a starrett or mityoto micrometer and the standard so you can calibrate it. if you can find a blade micrometer that's pretty darn good too. stay clear of the Chinese junk.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I have to agree that a caliper is probably plenty as long as you trust it to about .001 resolution. The cheap FA branded one I have is dead on and has been for years now. I keep quality jacketed bullets of various sizes stored with it so I can check it periodically. You can get into the accurate vs precise argument blah blah blah but it’s shown itself to be repeatably precise by hitting the same numbers on these bullets for years and it has also shown itself to be accurate enough for what I do. My 6br regularly went under an inch at 300 yards in calm air. Never once measured anything to .0001.
    I was a Master Chief Machinery Technician in the CG. I’ve used plenty of high dollar precision mics and dial indicators when overhauling engines. I really doubt the average shooter will ever benefit from measuring to .0001.
    People like fancy toys though so if you have the cash why not go all out. Most people will convince themselves that the fancy toy helped. Me included! Human nature.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I am going to slug the barrels on some of my guns and think that I have a reasonable understanding of the process except one detail.

The micrometers that I have used back in the olden days would not work for measuring the grooves left by the rifling lands.

Can you all recommend an appropriate tool? Link?

This is a tool that will see very limited use in my shop so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks.
    Best tool for barrels with an even number of grooves is probably a Blade Micrometer like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools...4251689&sr=8-5

Not saying that's the best one, picked it because it has the best photo of why it works. I picked up one from Fowler in a pawn shop some years ago when I was gathering stuff for my machining class.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

The big plus to calipers is 1 tool measures from 0-6" with reasonable accuracy. With mikes you normally need a set for each 1" of size ( 0-1" 1"-2" 2"-3" ) there are some larger mandrel mikes out there with different anvils for each step but they get awkward and clumsy to use. A comparator stand and indicator with gauge blocks to set can be very accurate but more work to set up and use

Boolit Bub
    Here's my two penneth worth - what quality of instrument you get depends on what you can afford and how old you are.
    What's age got to do with it I hear you ask. Well if you're young and want something to last a lifetime get some good quality stuff right off, regardless of price. If, like me, you're getting on a bit, more financially advantageous units will do, they only have to last maybe a quarter of a lifetime.
    I purchased a Moore and Wright 0-1" mic and a standard 6" Mitotoyo caliper nearly 50 years ago and they're still perfect, even though I use them almost daily (I do look after my kit). I also have a Starrett and a spare M&W mic I picked up along the way.
    I won't use anything that needs a battery, it's sure to go dead when you really need it and the only things I have with dials are my DTI's. Plain scales are, in my opinion, just as fast with practice.
    I did once buy some cheap mic's just out of curiosity. They work fine but I could tell straight off they weren't built to last.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well said, Little Oak. The only thing is, by the time we think we can afford the good stuff we’re too old to get full benefit from it. Better to buy better than you think you can afford while you’re young and benefit longer!

Regards,
    Froggie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast