Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .357 mag Marlin Cowboy Loads for deer

Boolit Master

.357 mag Marlin Cowboy Loads for deer

I'm looking for a load for my brothers .357 mag Marlin Cowboy for deer hunting. I need lead bullet weight, powder and weight. Brother lives in Ohio so most shots are under 100 yards. I have not loaded for the rifle so need help.

I’ve got no answers for you , however I am setting out for a carbine deer load myself.
    I have a large boolit intended for the 35 rem I believe. I’ve got a handful of pins to make it hollow point but I think I’ll start with the solid which weighs about 205 in my alloy. I powder coat these boolits and shoot them in my 358 win so I know I can push them as fast as my 357 will ever get .
    Another option I’m trying is the 358429 ( 170 grain swc that is notoriously long ) I’m loading that in 38 special brass but +p pressure. I’m assuming it won’t cycle in my carbine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I haven’t taken any deer, but I have taken many coyotes and a few hogs with my Marlin. I use the Lee 358-158RF and a Lee plain base copy of the Lyman 358156. I’ve had good luck with 5.5, 6 & 6.5grs of Unique in my Marlin, but each gun is different. I settled on 6.5gr, it did just a little better for me than the others. I’ve also had good luck with 14gr of Lil’Gun under the same bullets. All loads used 357mag brass. As everyone says, start low and work up.

I’ve taken coyotes and a couple hogs out to 75yrds with both Unique and Lil’Gun. The Unique I would call a mid-level 357mag load and Lil’Gun a full magnum load. From my Marlin either will swing 6” plates at 85yrds with boring consistency & drop a coyote where it stands.
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 04-05-2020 at 12:46 AM.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master

Lyman #358156GC cast of #2 - 157grs over 14.0grs of 2400.
    The small front driving band feeds without issue in My Marlin 1894CS and Browning 1892. Accurate to 75+yds, never shot anything bigger then a coyote.
    Groups into 3" at 100yrds from a rest with issue sights.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Lyman #358156GC cast of #2 - 157grs over 14.0grs of 2400.
    The small front driving band feeds without issue in My Marlin 1894CS and Browning 1892. Accurate to 75+yds, never shot anything bigger then a coyote.
    Groups into 3" at 100yrds from a rest with issue sights.
    +1 on this suggest except I prefer a 16-1 alloy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm with Larry on using the softer alloy for hunting.

In most guns you can get away with 1 to 20 tin-lead with a plainbased bullet, or 1 to 30 in a GC design for much better expansion.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Where do you shoot your deer, in the shoulder or behind the shoulder. I'd suggest about a 180 gr bullet for the shoulder bones, a lighter bullet for the lung-heart area.

Boolit Master
    Warren -

Howdy !

I have not shot any deer w/ the following load; other than point blank mercy shots on deer hit by cars.

My favorite .357 a Mag load for both revolvers and in my M1894SC:
    14.5gr WW296 ( H110 same stuff ) and SP Magnum under a Lyman SWCof 158- 172gr

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Thanks a couple of the loads he uses in his Ruger Blackhawk. I thought with the rifle he could bump up round to give quicker killing power.

Boolit Master

Isn't #2 the same hardness as 16/1 ?

I always thought it was.
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Isn't #2 the same hardness as 16/1 ?

I always thought it was.
    No it is not. Bullet "hardness" has two components; the first is BHN which is a measure of resistance to deformation. The second (and most oft not remembered or discussed) is malleability.

Lyman #2 alloy has a BHN of 15 - 16.

16-1 alloy has a BHN of 11 +/-.

Lyman #2 alloy, because of the antimony content, is not as malleable [some refer to it as "ductile"] as 16-1 alloy. Lyman #2 alloy will expand a bit but will crack and slough off any expansion petals if velocity is high enough. Expansion of 16-11 alloy will be smooth and even with excellent weight retention.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry,

Thanks
    I HATE auto-correct

SASS #375 Life

Marlin 1894 CS, Groove dia. 0.359", 2.5x Leupold Alaskan Scope (the 7/8" tube one)
    Lyman 358156 GC, ACWW +2% tin, Sized 0.359+", lube 50-50, annealed Hornady GC
    13.5 gr 2400, once fired Starline Brass with a solid roll crimp
    WSP primers
    Chrono'd at 1609 fps
    Accuracy = 3 shots in less than 2" @ 100 yds with carefully selected bullets.

Functioning in the Marlin: This bullet cycles well through my Marlin by aggressively cycling the lever. This seems to promote good feeding. If I slow the lever speed, I occasionally get a bullet that catches at the top of the chamber entrance.

I've killed two KY white tail with it. One with a neck shot from the rear at 50 yds. Broke the spine and exited. The 2nd was through the lungs, behind the shoulder. Broke the rib going through and exited on the far side. Trail up was less than 50 yds. For side shots, I hold just behind the shoulder, and 1/3 of the way up from the brisket...that gives a heart shot if slightly low, and both lungs if higher...

Exit holes on both shots showed expansion, but since they hit the spine in one case and a rib going in on the other, you'd expect to see some expansion. No idea how the bullet would react if no bone was hit.

This is my go-to load for all my .357's where I want velocity...handgun (~1150 fps depending on bbl. length) or rifle (1600+fps), it's a beautifully balanced bullet. I visually inspect each bullet if I'm loading for hunting purposes...no visual flaws...but do not weigh them for uniformity.

YMMv, and HTH's Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 04-07-2020 at 09:41 PM.
    Rod