Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Custom wood for Enfield No 4 Mk I?

Moderator Emeritus

Custom wood for Enfield No 4 Mk I?

I have searched rather broadly for a good piece of custom wood to sporterize a No. 4 Mk I Enfield I have. Anyone know of a source for good wood for this model? I think it was American Gunstocks in Cal. that used to cut some fine looking stocks for the Enfields, but they sold out and the new owner doesn't rout for the Brit Enfields. If you know of a source, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks ahead of time.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Have you tried Wilcox Gun works out of Cherryville, BC?

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    PM sent

Boyd's or Richard's Microfit perhaps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I got a Boyd's Gray Laminate Stock and Fore end for my #4 Sporter. Actually a Parker Hale conversion. Now in 35-.303. It looks nice and will look even nicer if I ever get around to finishing the metal with Cera Kote.

Boyd's has a zillion choices of wood and laminates and I had choices of about 15 different combos for my gun. You should look at them. They fit really well on my gun.

The other gun, also a Parker Hale #4 Mk1 conversion, I just refinished what it came with. I made the mount for the Redfield Olympic Sight I installed, trying for an L39 like replica. The gun shoots very well.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-05-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Bob's Gun Shop has walnut #4 Enfield sporter stock sets F/S @ $100: http://www.gun-parts.com/militarystocks/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the responses, guys. What I'm looking for is a semi-finished stock, maybe with some upgraded wood. My gun is also a .35/.303 like W. R.'s, and I've always had a liking for the old Brit rifles. Also, does anyone know of a good replacement trigger for the #4??? I think this one would be something most would have liked to have carried on Safari back in the "good ol' days" of safariing. It'll hit hard enough to make a dent in most anything, and isn't too heavy in the recoil dept. or muzzle blast. Kinda' neat, really. Ought to kill a lil' ol' Southern whitetail rather readily. I'm planning on using the 180 and 220 gr. Speer FP's, the 200 gr. RN's (Rem RNCL if I can find any), and cast bullets of course. Have the RCBS 200 gr. mold, and it looks good. What bullets are you using in yours, W. R.?

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Pretty sure Timney do a replacement trigger for Lee Enfields .Here in Australia there is Hatchers Rifle stocks ,with our dollar worth less than a house brick , you should be able to get a nice semi finished stock.

Blackwater: I haven't actually shot mine yet. It has been sitting for a couple of years after I got to the point it is at now. The big stop has been not having an Oven big enough to cure the Cera Kote. Now they have Cera Kote that doesn't require cooking and I have some. Just waiting for better weather to do it.

I got it down today and there isn't much left to get it together so I'll probably work on it during the plague.

I planned on two loads. A 200-250 gr soft point and a Cast Boolit load with a 250 gr ish RNFP.

I was told by JES to start with .35 Rem loads and work up.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I also have a Parker Hale Sporter. Came with 22" barrel and chopped forend and Parker Hale ramp front sight. Looks much like the one W.R. posted. Have one of the forends I got from liberty Tree with the ishy screw.The draws were badly cut(aka recoil surfaces)and cracked the back end of the butt stock made a walnut spacer to be installed with epoxy and will cut out the bad wood for the draws and epoxy in another spacer and trim as needed than glass bed the action body and knock's form. Since Staying at home getting some gun stuff done and yard work. Sure wish I could come across someone experienced with the #4's to set the barrel back a full turn and rechamber the rifle and recut the extractor groove. Brass would last longer. Still love the old British rifles. I pulled my Ishapore #1 MKIII in 7.62 Nato and first words my buddy said were "what the heck is that". Course the sight guard was set wrong as it's leaning to one side. Will take it off,plug the original hole with a small dowel and reset the guard. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Boyd's or Richard's Microfit perhaps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Boyd's offers Lee Enfield furniture, but Richards does not. I'm not aware of any aftermarket triggers for them, either.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enfield_Stock.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	259933

Boolit Master
    When messing around with a #4 trigger I've found that polishing all contact points can make a world of difference. The two nubs for the first and second stage just gets polished.The part that the two nubs contact get stoned to bare metal so the nubs have a smooth surface to move on.And the part that rides against the cocking piece I stone so its even all the way across. Such is not the case with a lot of these parts. Then put it on the buffing wheel and slowley polish it preserving the proper angle. I got a jungle carbine down to a 3.5 pounds and no slippage when thumping the buttstock on the floor. You could stage that trigger easily. Subtle changes to be sure. Cocking pieces I usually leave alone. Unless they are badly worn. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post

I'm not aware of any aftermarket triggers for them, either.

Here's a replacement trigger by Huber Concepts: https://www.huberconcepts.com/produc...-rifle-trigger

The Lee Enfield and Lee Enfield SMLE are 2 completely different triggers.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride