MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Tobacco Seeds

Tobacco Seeds

Do any of you guys have some extra tobacco seeds you could spare? I’d like to try my hand at it. I’m in Zone 7a for hardiness, if that makes any difference. Be glad to send some lead in exchange.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

not sure if your are a new grower or have farming experience but this may be a good source. Steve
    https://www.newhopeseed.com/tobacco_growing.html
    Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Hippy lettuce will make you more bread.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Hippy lettuce will make you more bread.
    And you get a vacation to.....

Boolit Buddy
    Victory Seeds in Mclalla, OR has a good selection of seed. Disclaimer: I have tried to start tobacco from seed 2 or 3 times and never got anything to come up. Evidently there's a trick to it and I have never learned the trick. It's challenging.

Boolit Buddy
    You may be starting a little late. I think you need about two months before setting out in the garden. The seeds need one to two weeks of carefully supervised germination. One of those clear plastic covers. Seeds must be kept moist on top of STERILE Soilless mix, 70D + F temp. Watch carefully, can't let it dry out or have mold issues either. Kind of a catch 22 deal. Good Luck. uncle mike
    Last edited by unclemikeinct; 04-05-2020 at 12:51 AM. Reason: add to

Thanks for the input guys. I didn’t realize the seeds were so hard to start. We have a couple cold frames, and I may use them to grow the plants after germination to catch up to the season.
    Do y’all recommend any variety in particular?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I always wanted to try growing some tobacco just for the fun of it but never got to it. Todd - if you get some plants started, let us know your progress and how it turns out - an interesting project. I always loved to drive through areas where they grew it, looking at the fields, the drying barns, etc.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't know if I have any seed left here or not. I was growing three varieties.

They do take a lot of care to start. This is a bit late in the season, but you could probably get them to produce well yet.

Look for a tobacco growers forum. There are several online, You will need their information on growing, harvest, aging and processing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

To the OP, What is your end use? Pipe? Cigar? ... I have about 20-30 varieties in cold storage I could send if ya like.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    To the OP, What is your end use? Pipe? Cigar? ... I have about 20-30 varieties in cold storage I could send if ya like.
    Pipe use. 20-30? Whoosh! I could do with half a dozen or so. Don’t have the time to experiment extensively, but want to grow a good somewhat mellow tobacco for my own use. I’ll send you a PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Everything you'll ever need to know...

https://fairtradetobacco.com/

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I remember walking through sheds of it hanging when I was a kid and walking through it in the fields.

Todd, I’m waiting for my two apple grafts that took for the buds to open. Thanks again! I just need to find some black market sweet tango scions now. I guess there is an orchard a few miles from me that has a contract to grow them. Got my first apple off that 10 year old tree I grew from a seed last year. It was from a golden delicious graft. I’m expecting apples this year.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-07-2020 at 09:30 AM.

A while ago, while driving through the tiny hamlet of Lyndora PA, I saw a patch of tobacco growing in a back yard. It reminded me a great deal of when I lived in East TN, and folks that lived in the foothills grew quarter-acre patches in the river bottoms.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I tried 3 years running, none ever germinated no hard I tried. Gave up

I've been brooding on trying to grow some Tobacco here in Kansas...

I like the old Virginia Tobacco which was very popular from the beginning on through to about WWII or so, it is really nice.

I buy the Flue Cured Leaves Mail Order, shred and roll my own Cigarettes.

It'd sure be fun if I could grow my own!

Boolit Master

Growing up in Kentucky everyone always put out tobacco slips. Never saw anyone try and start seed. I was too young to be involved in any of that then. In my teens I did help cut, strip and hang it though. Nasty work.

Boolit Buddy
    Growing not a problem for me, started seeds indoors controlled conditions mid March. In the garden after the last frost. Even had volunteers occasionally! Didn't have luck with old seeds. My wife really liked the flowers.
    Sorry I don't have any recent seeds for you. Got mine from www.jlhudsonseeds.net
    The real work was after the harvest: drying was too quick and difficult to control for a "large" crop in my low humidity desert and getting good curing, then pressing, cutting and aging etc. Took years before the product was worth putting in my pipe - and that it was best after blending with commercial tobacco from Cornell & Diehl. The benefit was avoiding additives as I can't tolerate propylene glycol.
    Best of luck to you.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.