MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: I could use a set of 300 Win Mag dies for a startup reloader.

I could use a set of 300 Win Mag dies for a startup reloader.

My son-in-law is just getting started into reloading/shooting for 308 Win and 300 Win Mag. I have a spare set of 308 Dies for him but I don't have anything for the 300 WM. I'm giving him some bullets, primers, powder, and some instructional training...but I don't have a 300 Win Mag of my own.

If any of you have an extra set of dies or even a partial set that can pass it along, please let me know.

[EDIT] BTW...happy to pay for postage.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I know it was asking a lot.

I found a set on another forum for $30...so I dropped the cash to help out my SIL.

thanx for looking anyway.

redhawk

Moderator - please close this thread.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

red hawk0

Reloading Belted Magnums is a unique challenge unto itself. I currently have (and have only had 1) a .300 WInMag. Found that after sizing brass shot in my rifle, only about 60% would chamber after resizing and reloading. Had to get a Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die in addition to the standard .300 WinMag die set to correct the problem. This die is expensive (~ $120.00) but it does the job. I am getting 10 to 12 reloads in a case when using this die. I use Winchester 760 as my powder with the .300 Win Mag.

http://www.larrywillis.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 7.25.42 AM.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	259846
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Thanx, Mustang....I appreciate that information. The set I bought has a FL sizer die...but once my SIL fires them in his Rem M700 rifle, I plan to just neck size.

Another thing to consider here....My SIL is 5'4" and 140lb soaking wet. My suspicion is, that he'll likely use the rifle for an Elk hunt that he's trying to plan...then realize this monster isn't fun to shoot and sell the rifle. So...I'm not going to invest too much into this...I'll just have to sell it again.

Any thoughts on this?

redhawk

Boolit Master

Mass of bullet coupled with Velocity, and weight of the Rifle determines recoil. Felt recoil will be dependent on weight of rifle package (scope & Rifle), the style of stock - some straight back into shoulder will have more felt recoil than some stock shapes that allow "Muzzle Rise" after bullet exits barrel to have "Less Felt Recoil". And of course; a good "Shock Absorbing" Butt plate will help. I use this 175 grain bullet in .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag.

I prefer a 175 Grain Bullet (Most "Store Bought" rounds for .30Win Mag will be 180 Grains - not 175. I make my 175 grain bullets from 5/16 copper tubing = they closely resemble the .30 caliber Sierra Match King 175 Grain Bullet. I choose 175 grain because it's relatively flat out to 1000 Yards compared to other choices - No way I am shooting an Elk or Deer at 1000 Yds; just a comparison.

I took my .300 Win Mag Load from the "Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition" manual by Richard Lee. Max load for .300 Win Mag using Winchester 760 powder and 175 grain bullet is 67.5 grains W760. Starting load is 63 grains W760 powder. I use a 67.0 Grain load of W760, but you should work up in your rifle. Book velocity from the Lee Manul for 175 Grain bullet using W760 at max load is 2972 FPS with a pressure of 63,170 psi.

Best of luck

(p.s. get a slip on/lace on butt recoil pad if needed).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    If he already has a 308 win why mess with a 300 win mag for elk . all he needs to do is work on shooting the 308 well it will take elk just fine I use 243, 7.62x51, 308, 30-40 krag , 30-06, 300 win mag, 444,45-70 and taken elk with all of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Thanx, Mustang....I appreciate that information. The set I bought has a FL sizer die...but once my SIL fires them in his Rem M700 rifle, I plan to just neck size.

Another thing to consider here....My SIL is 5'4" and 140lb soaking wet. My suspicion is, that he'll likely use the rifle for an Elk hunt that he's trying to plan...then realize this monster isn't fun to shoot and sell the rifle. So...I'm not going to invest too much into this...I'll just have to sell it again.

Any thoughts on this?

redhawk
    A muzzle brake on that thing will tame it down to almost pleasant>