Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: 30-06 to 6.5x55 Swede......sigh. I give up........

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

30-06 to 6.5x55 Swede......sigh. I give up........

Since all my priceless Norma 6.5 Swede brass is loaded with J-words, I decided to form more brass from 30-06 for cast lead shooting. Easy as pie, right? Just lube that baby up and shove it home, trim and you got cher self a Swede case, right?

Uh, no. I first tried some Imperial sizing wax and pushed the case into my Lee die. Next, since the expander was stuck tight in the neck, I cut off the bottom of the case and drove the expander out. Rats!

Next I left out the expander, lubed up again and rammed another one home. This time my case came out with a beautiful Swede neck......the base of which was shoved down into the shoulder. Looked like an accordion. Rats! At this point I grabbed a .308 die and used that first. Aha! The shoulder was moved back smoothly to the right position and I had a nice, long .30 caliber neck. Pushed it into the 6.5 die and collapsed the neck into the shoulder again. Rats! Rats!

I finally dragged out BOTH my books on cartridge case modifications. George Nonte's book mentions nothing about removing the expander, while the other book insists on it PLUS annealing the case first. Of course! This much forming calls for a bit softer brass so it will "flow"!

I annealed two more cases, lubed them up and ran them through the .308 die. No problems. I then switched to the 6.5 die and shoved the neck right into the shoulder again. Rats! Rats! Rats!

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I might be doing something wrong here. Anyone have any advice...........please?

Update........Update: I got it! There was a third "mystery" die in my original two die set, with a marking of "Lee 6.5x55 B". It wasn't in the set when I bought it years ago and I may have loaned it to someone who left it in there. In any case, out of sheer frustration, I lubed up my last case and shove it home. Out came a perfectly formed Swedish case with a long, easily trimmed neck. To my knowledge, Lee doesn't make forming dies, so I have no idea what this thing is, but it works. Now to process some brass!

Thanks for reading my rant.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 04-04-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    Since the base of the 6.5x55 cartridge is larger than the 30-06, after you get done converting them they aren't worth much. So I bought a bag of proper brass of the correct body size and that was easy. I bought a large bag of brass and then converted them to a French round and they worked very well.

6.5x55 brass formed from 7x57 brass will swell a bit at the lower body upon firing. They were probably ok but didn't inspire confidence when I did that so I bought correct PMC brass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PMC brass also has the wrong head size.

My 6.5x55 brass is either Norma, CA or I have a stack of original military (berdan primed).
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I am pretty sure I have a bag of once fired brass for the Swede here some place, if I find it you can have it if you want. Regards Stephen

Banned

All the American made brass has the 0.470" standard head.

When you were using any of the Lee dies you have to take out the expander rod and nut. Let the brass flow up into the die. You should not have any problems then. At least I never did. Make sure the bullet is seated long so it jams in the rifling for the first shot. And don't be surprised that the shoulder is not formed the first time. You have to anneal after the first firing.

Boolit Master
    Being an old hard head myself I do understand the process and battles. Sometimes I have been able to overpower these dark forces and click the complete order tab. A quick Google Foo and it appears much to be had at 40-100 per bag depending on ones taste. Life is getting shorter everyday!

Boolit Master
    Is this what you need? https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/?s=6...&sku=1&ixwps=1

Looks like a lot easier to buy it, to me. I just bought 250 rounds of 7.62x54R new brass from them, was easy and a lot less stress. I'd been looking at used brass, and this was actually cheaper. Less than $120 shipped. I should also fit the rifle properly, which it looks like the -06 brass doesn't.

If you're forming your own brass just for fun or seriously broke, just ignore me. I just found myself suddenly unemployed, and I'm turning it into suddenly retired. Glad I have the new brass. Kinda hard to make rimmed brass from rimless. I have several hundred rounds of used 30-06 brass, but I'm reloading it for my 1903 Springfield.

Boolit Man
    Graf & sons have 3 different brand of it in stock at the moment.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the day I made quite a bit if 6.5x55 cases out of US milsurp cases. Easy enough to do if you use a form/trim die first. I've found the RCBS 8x57 form/trim die works very well. Initially form/trim the '06 cases in the form die then FL size the cases in the 6.5 FL die. I back the die off to set the shoulder so it is a crush fit in the 6.5x55 chamber. Then use a mid range 4895 with jacketed bullets load to fire form/practice. Yes the case will swell a bit at the expansion ring but if just neck sizing after fire forming it poses no problem. A thin strip of scotch tape around the case head in front of the extractor groove can keep the case centered during fire forming. In milsurp Swede chambers with .264 jacketed bullet no neck reaming/turning is necessary but I used to slightly turn the necks anyway to true them up. After fire forming is when I anneal the shoulder necks.

As mentioned, these days there are plenty of commercial cases available at a reasonable price so forming your own isn't really necessary unless you just want to.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I should have mentioned that I embarked on this project to prevent going loony during this virus quarantine. Anything but sitting around, watching reruns on t.v.!

Larry, I wish I'd have seen your post earlier, as I HAVE an 8 x 57 form die! For those folks who are interested, here's the process I finally ended up using:

1. Anneal donor case necks/shoulders. This is absolutely necessary due to the amount the shoulder is moved back

2. Lube case and run into a .308 Winchester die that has been adjusted to leave the shoulder in the correct location. This gives you a case with a very long .30 caliber neck. A tubing cutter is used to shorten the necks to withing a few thousandths of correct O.A.L.

3. Lube and run the case full length into a 6.5 x 55 die with the expander removed. This will shape the cases.

Go easy on the next two steps.....you annealed the cases, so any fast press action might crush neck and shoulder.

4. Install a 310 expander die in press....263 diameter....and expand necks.

5. Install a 319 expander die....266 diameter....and expand necks with slight flare(cast lead loads).

6. Final trim to length.

At this point I checked the cases in my M38 Swede and they chambered, no problem. Now, there IS a concern that the case mouth brass might be too thick, but it sure doesn't appear to be. Tomorrow I'll take two mild, loaded rounds to the range and shoot them. Afterwards I'll manually insert a fresh boolit in each neck and check for clearance. If they slide right in, I'm good to go.

So I accomplished my goal and learned some new techniques along the way. Frankly, those commercial Swede cases are looking more reasonable all the time!

Boolit Master
    If you are REALLY bored, you can order 4800 6.5 wooden bullet training rounds from J&G Sales, for around $100, plus another $120 or so for shipping. They are Berdan primed, but should be good for cast loads, and many on U-tube have been using them for full power jacketed loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    If you are REALLY bored, you can order 4800 6.5 wooden bullet training rounds from J&G Sales, for around $100, plus another $120 or so for shipping. They are Berdan primed, but should be good for cast loads, and many on U-tube have been using them for full power jacketed loads.
    I second getting these and pulling the wooden projectiles and using the primed cases to load your own. (The powder is very fast and makes for good fertilizer). I have developed and used a good hunting load based upon these cases that satisfy my requirements. My rifle is a 1908 Carl Gustav M96 and is a pleasure to shoot.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Might be a good way to pass the time when you're locked in your home. Otherwise makes zero sense.

Boolit Master

I just buy PPU or S&B ammo for the brass. If it is European they likely fill the chamber right in the casehead area.

Boolit Master

"....otherwise makes zero sense...."

Bingo............we have a winner! Other hobbies at this time include organizing ammo I haven't looked at in years, gazing at maps and planning camping/shooting trips, etc.

The good news is that the end product in this case works very well. Oddly enough my converted brass primes quite easily, while the Norma brass seems to leave the primers high. A little more force seats them, but I wonder why? The primers themselves are ordinary CCI 200's.....

Shoots pretty good too, although I think I'm at the point of needing a glasses mounted diopter these days (70 years old).

Boolit Master
    What you need is a firearm with a far more interesting case conversion to perform. 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is as common to purchase as 30-06 or 308 Win. What you really need is a rifle in .43 Spanish! And the appropriate dies, bullet molds, sizer dies, a lathe, and some really odd brass. Like from a 348 Winchester.

Banned
    I have Norma and Lapua 6.5x55 brass some have been loaded 15- 20 times and havent had to discard any. I also anneal every 4-5 loadings