RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Who uses .22 mag and 17 hmr cases to swage .224 bullets?

Boolit Buddy

Who uses .22 mag and 17 hmr cases to swage .224 bullets?

Does it take a different de-rimming die? I tried de-rimming in my 22lr die and almost pulled a muscle

what weight bullets can be swaged with these cases?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    Does it take a different de-rimming die? I tried de-rimming in my 22lr die and almost pulled a muscle

what weight bullets can be swaged with these cases?
    It does take a different derim die, and a reducing die once they're derimmed. I don't know about weights, I've never used them full length for .224 bullets, but I would guess... HEAVY
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

I use any of my 3 derimming dies with .17 and .22 WMR with no problems on either my Corbin CSP-1 Press or my Pnuematic Press I bought to do most of my derimming operations.

A thought for you. If you are using a "Standard Press" (as compare to my Swaging press or Pneuematic press) you may be where you are in the lowest power portion of your handle stroke is. The last few inches of the Arm on a traditional press is where the most leverage (power) is applied. Try the following:

a. Place your die to where it is screwed in; but just barely comes out at the bottom of the Threads, screwed in about 1 inch or so. See if that will allow you to begin the derim with much less effort. Cycle the handle back to the top position, screws the derim die down a couple of turns and cycle the handle again. Do this till you have pushed the .17 or 22 WMR all the way through the die; then start another. This should result in much easier handle pressure and derimming operation; but it will take longer to derim each case.

This procedure is not the best/most desirable methodology; but may overcome your problems.

One has to either open the mouth of the .17 to fit over the punch of the derim die, or cut it off at the shoulder.

b. After derimmed, I use a cone shaped jacket trim die (made by a member on this site years ago, but similar to - Corbins trim die http://corbins.com/et-2-s.htm ). I can make jackets to length for 90 to 100 Grains (I have no rifle with appropriate twist for the weight), and 70, 75, 80, 85 grains that when swaged have the nose fully enclosed in the jacket (no exposed lead).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I'd be stretching the .22 WMR brass if I derimmed it using my .22LR derimming dies and punch, the brass would have to stretch because there wouldn't be enough clearance between the punch and die for the thicker brass... not all derimming dies are made equal however, and I suspect with a smaller diameter punch I could use the .22LR derim die as mustang has pointed out.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

I will solve your problem, send me your 22mag brass and I will send you some 22lr. I need the 22 mag for doing 25 cal bullets.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I have a derim die from Richard Corbin to derim 22WMR to 243s. I plan to make some 100gr 25 calibers for a 14 twist Savage 1920 & some lighter ones for a 256 Winchester. Anyone with experiance making 25 caliber bullets from these jackets feel free to let us pick your brain.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    22 mag derimmed in 243 die then drawn in 224 derim die then trimmed to make 80 and 90 grain bullets.
    For 257 bullets I use a .234 core seat punch with an eased edge to enter jacket then point form.

Boolit Master
    Years ago, GONRA made a deheading die set for my olde CH Swag-O-Matic press that easily handles
    originally .22 LR lateron .22 Magnum Rimfire cases.
    Deheads look Just Fine to me, but my application isn't bullet jackets.
    So maybe there is some fine point I'm missing here! ???

Boolit Master

I was doing some Swaging of .308 bullets this morning. I found these rejects/set aside .224 jackets I had made from 17HMR Brass. The top jacket and the bottom three jackets are .17HMR where the neck was expanded - then the 17HMR was sized through a standard derim die for 22LR's. The 2nd and third from the top are 17HMR jackets that were "Trimmed" to make jackets using a conical trimming die. These have a rough mouth which is probably why they were in an old 22Mag plastic box as "Rejects". Just thought a picture might be of interest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	260108

Yes, That paper in the background is McDonalds Sausage McBisquit wrapping paper. It was a convenient white background. I had some laying on the Reloading bench from where I had been doing some Paper Patch boolits using the McDonald Paper for patching. Worked OK, - mainly it is a different thickness than some of my other paper sources and might prove of benefit in some diameter applications should I need it in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1268.jpg  
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 04-11-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Have a couple 1 pound coffee cans full of the 22mag & 17hmr case. Never did anything with them & for some odd reason I still collet them.

Boolit Master
    22 mag and the like all over ground at range. I you need them I can maybe pick some up.

Vendor Sponsor

They make a heavy and long 22 cal bullet! Works great! Haven't shot any yet though. These where around 105 grains.....

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

One would need a 1 in 7, or 1 in 6.5 twist barrel to expect accuracy with those long heavy 105 grain .223 Bullets. I have a 1 in 7 in a Colt HBAR Ar15; but all my .223 Bolt rifles are 1 in 9 twist, which is why I cut the length of the 17HMR and 22Mag cases to form shorter 75 & 80 Grain .223 bullets.
    Mustang

Boolit Mold
    I have a 6mm derim die to draw down 17 HMT & 22 WMR before running them through my .22 derim die.
    For giggles I made a 100 gn bullet from a 22 WMR when I heard that the .224 Valkyrie was supposed to get 100 gn ammo.