Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the tinsel fairy left me (Pics Added)

Boolit Master

What the tinsel fairy left me (Pics Added)

I edited my post about the fairy, but I can't seem to change the title to say "pics added", so I'll post this separately. I want you to see why we always need to be careful!

The top of my thigh

Boolit Master

You had your pants on when this happened, right?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    All the better reason to be clothed properly when casting - long pants, shoes, long sleeved shirt, gauntlet leather gloves and safety glasses - "common sense". A person is working with molten lead - not cold jello.

This reminds me of an incident that happened when I was in college. We had a foundry area where we worked with such materials as lead, zinc, aluminum, etc. There was a lab assistant who "thought he knew everything". He decided to fire up the furnace one day and pour aluminum in a sand mold he had rammed up for one of his required projects. There was one cardinal rule we had - whenever foundry work was being performed, there was to be more than one person in the lab - just in case. He cut corners - didn't put the required leather gaiters on to protect his lower legs. He pulled the crucible from the furnace and got ready to pour and the crucible slipped. A quantity of the aluminum hit the floor, which immediately caused the cement to literally explode due to just the normal moisture in it, shooting the aluminum up on his heaver leather apron and then it ran downwards - into the tops of his shoes. I was working ambulance that day and we were dispatched to the scene - it was not a pretty sight. Fortunately, the hospital with the burn center was naarby so it was a quick transport but it seemed like it was 100 miles away. He spent months recovering - fortunately they were able to save his feet but it required numerous surgeries and skin grafts.

My guess is that most folks cast when they are alone - and things can happen unexpectedly. While lead melts at a lower temperature than aluminum, the burns received can still be serious. Be safe and be smart - dress appropriately.

Boolit Grand Master

Isn't this a follow up on Pat's original post about a splash? He was wearing pants... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ot-me!!-I-m-OK
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Yes mdi, I tried to edit the title of the original thread to say "Pics added" but can't seem to do that. I wanted people to see what can happen!

Yes I had long pants on, but a slosh this size will burn you through pants. There must have been 10-15 smaller flecks, they cooled before they could get through the fabric. That, and I responded FAST by grabbing my pants and pulling them away from my skin.

This particular spot was the main splash, like I said maybe a half dollar size?

Boolit Grand Master

Although that is a fairly small burn please with it closely. Don't mean to nag at ya, just am concerned for a Bro!

In addition to the safety clothes mentioned...I also wear a heavy leather shop apron. Every little bit helps when dealing with the molten menace. It was well worth the $50 to me.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Hmmm. Y'know, I'd figured that heavy cotton long sleeved clothes, closed top shoes, gloves and safety glasses were enough for boolit casting out of a 20# pot, saving the welder's gauntlets with extra cotton liners, leather apron and arm covers, full face shield and reversed billed baseball cap for processing #250 loads of scrap lead in the big pot. Now I realize that my set up for processing lead keeps molten metal no higher than about waist level. When casting I want to see the pour, so I'm down close to eye level with the spout, with maybe fifty pounds of alloy (I added a 20# feeder pot on top of the bottom pour, and have a few ingots preheating on top as well) all over my head supported by just two metal legs on the bottom pot.

I'm gonna rethink my level of PPE and maybe think of reinforcing the supports on the bottom pot...

Boolit Master
    scars tell better stories than Tatoos and chicks dig scars dude!

I don't cast but that's why the old cowboy blacksmiths all wore leather aprons. Even when I was a kid our local blacksmiths always wore leather aprons. Those old blacksmith shops were a neat place to a kid. Fire, smoke, hammering, sparks,cuss words, wow.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Although that is a fairly small burn please with it closely. Don't mean to nag at ya, just am concerned for a Bro!
    Thank you! And yes, I'm hitting it with peroxide every day, plus triple antibiotic ointment. Don't want to get an infection!

As someone else said, this is no time to be going near any hospital or urgent care.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    all over my head supported by just two metal legs on the bottom pot.
    I'm gonna rethink my level of PPE and maybe think of reinforcing the supports on the bottom pot...
    I would encourage that.

I run a single 20 pound pot, on a little bit lower than normal work table.
    It puts the top of the pot about eye level.
    If/When something comes out, its moving up & away from me rather than straight at & towards me.

I also work at arms length from the bottom pour nozzle, and with room around me to jump.
    Along with being dressed for the occasion, even after decorating the ceiling a few times- its worked out well so far.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-04-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. L- Thanks for the excellent cautionary thread, and best wishes for rapid healing. Bob.

Boolit Master

Peroxide is a bit harsh and could delay healing, the ointment alone should do the trick. Beware of developing an allergy to the ointment.

I saw the other thread but can't remember. Were you sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    , I'm hitting it with peroxide every day, plus triple antibiotic ointment. .
    I use peroxide to clean a wound, but not as a treatment.

I've had good luck with some stuff I think is called betadine solution.
    You mix some in water, soak a few minutes, then cover the spot if you need to protect it from getting banged around.
    Do that a few days, and leave it to the air as soon/much as possible.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Silvadene cream is the best thing going for treating burns .
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Grand Master

The absolute BEST thing is the juice from a fresh cut aloe vera plant .
    The stuff works miracles on burns ...straight from the plant onto the burn and cover with gauze bandage . Repeat application with fresh juice every few hours . No blistering if applied promptly, speeds up healing and less scaring . If you've never tried it ...aloe vera is simple to grow in a little pot on the window sill . Store bought aloe vera gel doesn't work worth doodley squat...the juice from a living plant is a magical healing remedy .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

+1 on the Sivadine ointment. If used immediatly it will prevent most Scaring.

Boolit Master

I had an aloe vera plant, but the roots rotted out! Perfectly healthy looking plant, just fell over. I get really dry, cracked fingers. I used to just rub the juice right on the cracks.

OK, I'll lay off the peroxide. At this point I think just letting the air hit it is probably the best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I had an aloe vera plant, but the roots rotted out! .
    They need potting soil that drains real well, and ya don't water them much.
    They like plenty of light, and don't do well in full shade.

They come from dry places that are sort of tropical climates, and are happiest between 50-80 degrees.
    Below 40- they get damaged.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-04-2020 at 11:38 PM.

EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast