Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington R51

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry. My mistake.

Howard

Banned
    If you want a good one, you can originals on proxibid. They run just fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    Sorry. My mistake.

Howard
    Good job again Howard .
    But when are you going to learn poly and aluminum are just a passing FAD.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Don't use facts, logic and empirical evidence, it will only confuse the ones that want to rant.

As soon as he gets done yelling at those kids on his lawn he's going to come back to this "sight" [sic] and educate us on how steel is the only possible material suitable for the receiver on a firearm......
    To began with, I don't have a lawn, it's gravel and there are no kids in this senior community. I have been interested in guns all my life and that covers a lot of decades. I have owned and traded them since I was a boy. I have also read everything I could get my hands on about fire arms. I have seen new improvements in design which usually means cheaper to make There is a reason that older hand guns are worth more money. They are made of steel not poly something or other. Maybe polyester. I am sure some of you would buy it if it was called high tech. What others want in fire arms does not interest me in the least. The hand gun you see as my avator is a Colt SA I bought around 1967 for $90. Today it is worth many times that. What do you experts think it would be worth if it were made of zinc? They did make them you know. They were copies made in Germany. The only part made of steel was the cylinder.and hammer. Even the barrel had a lining of steel. No,gentleman you keep your plastic and I will stick with steel.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Our Rural King has the R51 in stock for $200.00 right now. Nobody has showed any interest in it either.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    To began with, I don't have a lawn, it's gravel and there are no kids in this senior community. I have been interested in guns all my life and that covers a lot of decades. I have owned and traded them since I was a boy. I have also read everything I could get my hands on about fire arms. I have seen new improvements in design which usually means cheaper to make There is a reason that older hand guns are worth more money. They are made of steel not poly something or other. Maybe polyester. I am sure some of you would buy it if it was called high tech. What others want in fire arms does not interest me in the least. The hand gun you see as my avator is a Colt SA I bought around 1967 for $90. Today it is worth many times that. What do you experts think it would be worth if it were made of zinc? They did make them you know. They were copies made in Germany. The only part made of steel was the cylinder.and hammer. Even the barrel had a lining of steel. No,gentleman you keep your plastic and I will stick with steel.
    You are entitled to like or dislike whatever you please.
    Maybe someday you'll warm up to those electric lights or those new fangled horseless carriages.

Boolit Master
    You are entitled to like or dislike whatever you please.
    Maybe someday you'll warm up to those electric lights or those new fangled horseless carriages.
    Yes we do have electric lights and I have been driving the horseless carriages for a long time, probably before you were born, unless you were born in the 1940s.As for the light bulbs. I liked the light bulbs we had from the time they were invented, then a new bulb came along. Since it was new I am sure you approved. They were mandated by Emperor Oboso. They were called curly- ques and they presented a problem. If you dropped one and it broke you were to call the hazmat crew or seal off the room forever. You could not put them in the trash. You had to drive them to the nearest hazardous waste site. In my cas a 25 mile round trip. As to the horseless carriage. I thought they reached the apex of disign in the late 1960s. They were made of steel and you could actually work on them yourself and if you got into a accident, it could be repaired. Then big brother got involved and he wanted better gas millage at any cost and he wanted cars to be much lighter. The car companies loved it. They could now make cars out of lots of rubber, plastic and lots of glass. If you got into an accident there were airbags to protect you and they did for a time. After a few years the airbags began to kill people with shards of metal. Millions of cars had to be recalled to replace air bags,. mine included. All of the things I have written about were new ideas which I am sure you approved of, simply because they were new. You should read what Elmer Kieth thought of the polymer pistols when they first appeared on the scene. My opinion was mild in comparison. You can call me old fashioned, I am old and I will forever, [however much forever is left] prefer steel over plastic.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 04-09-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned
    And today's word is "Luddite"

Noun

1. a person opposed to new technology or ways of working

2. one who is opposed to especially technological change

Historical:

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

ADJECTIVE
    Luddite (adjective)

1. opposed to new technology or ways of working.

Tomorrow we will examine the word, "facetious".

There just isn't many redeeming features to these R51's My S.I.L and I each bought the generation 2's when they first came back out with problems suppose to be fixed. They weren't. He gave up on his and gave it to me so now I have two. They are intolerable to tear down and clean and just one all around piece of junk in my opinion. I can't wait to find a pawn shop that will even take one in on trade. Ours cost about $360 back then and now gun shops can't get rid of them for $200 That should tell prospective buyers something. My LAST dealings with Remington. Gp

See the review posted by jakarath on the other R51 thread. It's spot on!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Good job again Howard .
    But when are you going to learn poly and aluminum are just a passing FAD.
    as is smokeless powder
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    And today's word is "Luddite"

Noun

1. a person opposed to new technology or ways of working

2. one who is opposed to especially technological change

Historical:

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

ADJECTIVE
    Luddite (adjective)

1. opposed to new technology or ways of working.

Tomorrow we will examine the word, "facetious".
    i thought I explained my feelings about junk being offered as an improvement. I am aware of the people to whom you refer and what they were called. You on the other hand worship at the alter of anything new whether it is a piece of junk or not. I think the new improved R51 fits that description. I understand you can pick one up at a big discount. You very clearly cannot deal with the idea of someone disagreeing with you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    i thought I explained my feelings about junk being offered as an improvement. I am aware of the people to whom you refer and what they were called. You on the other hand worship at the alter of anything new whether it is a piece of junk or not. I think the new improved R51 fits that description. I understand you can pick one up at a big discount. You very clearly cannot deal with the idea of someone disagreeing with you.

DUDE !

Lighten UP

I am KIDDING !!!!

Are you REALLY that serious ???

WOW...……..

Boolit Master

DUDE !

Lighten UP

I am KIDDING !!!!

Are you REALLY that serious ???

WOW...……..
    I believe the current pandemic is affecting some more so than others, mentally. I've seen plenty examples of it lately on a number of internet forums. Some people are beginning to crack.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still trying to figure out how the pentacle of automotive tech was in the 1960s. Yeah they were easier to work on, and they needed to be since they needed a tune up every 3000 miles. If you had one go more than 100,000 miles you had a gem. I haven't gotten rid of a car with less than 200,000 miles since I started driving and those all still ran when they got sold or scrapped.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Its too bad, I liked a lot of the features and looks of the R51. But Remington screwed it up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how the pentacle of automotive tech was in the 1960s. Yeah they were easier to work on, and they needed to be since they needed a tune up every 3000 miles. If you had one go more than 100,000 miles you had a gem. I haven't gotten rid of a car with less than 200,000 miles since I started driving and those all still ran when they got sold or scrapped.
    and.....a lot of steel was replaced with aluminum and plastic....but the cars still last at least twice as long. Sorry, couldn't resist
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Banned
    I'm still trying to figure out how a person's acceptance of an aluminum alloy receiver equates to that person "worship[ing] at the alter of anything new" ?? Or how seeing aluminum and polymer as possible suitable materials for handgun receivers means you also MUST like compact fluorescent lamps (Curly-ques) ???

Who knew you could derive so much information about another person's beliefs based solely on what materials they think are suitable for firearm receivers ?
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-10-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    P&P, I thought I explained myself and my preferences very well when it came to light bulbs and automobiles. Apparently you did not read that post. I have my beliefs and you have yours and I am tired of debating the differences.

I bought a Gen 2. Broke it in with a couple of hundred rounds, the springs are pretty stout at first. Got 1,500 rounds through it now. Haven’t had a problem since the first couple hundred. Going to put another 500 and if it clears those I’ll CCL it.
    It’s different to shoot for sure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast