Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington R51

Boolit Grand Master

Remington R51

Did they ever get this gun running in a production model? It has always fascinated me (design) but I know there have been problems. They are currently on sale for a stupid low price, which is not encouraging.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    I've been following this closely. Remington revised and re-released the R51 but the reports are still not good. There are rumors that Remington discontinued the pistol but it still shows on their webpage. Part of the problem is the veracity of the reporting. Some people just bash them because everyone else is bashing them. Some people fail to distinguish between the first run pistols and the post-recall production pistols - they're just all R51's to those folks.
    I haven't been able to get my hands on one and shoot it AND I'm not willing to take the risk of buying one to find out for myself.

In theory and concept - it should be an outstanding pistol. In practice I cannot say that it has overcome its problems.

I really wanted this pistol to work out, it is a great concept. Lightweight alloy frame, very thin, nicely rounded edges, simple operation, good cartridge. Remington had a good idea, but I fear the reputation of that pistol may be damaged beyond recovery. Sort of like the Chevy Corvair.

I have had one for about 3 years. With Rem or Winchester 115 grain hollowpoints and 115 grain FMJ Blazer no failures with a little over 500 rounds fired. I usually only load 6 in the magazines. While the trigger seems to be a plastic something or other I like the way it does not have a lot of takeup like the S&W Shield.
    Maybe I just got one of better ones off the assembly line.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Master

I have one of the first of the revised production ones. It runs fine with jacketed factory rounds, but I get the occasional jam with my cast plinking loads, which are put up in a motley assortment of picked-up range brass.
    You can find them cheap now because Remington dropped them from production, and an orphaned gun, no matter how good it may be, is going to see a huge discount. Good luck finding parts for one in the future.
    I spent money on holsters and extra magazines for mine, so I'm going to keep it. If I was really enthused about it, I'd buy a couple more to cannibalize for parts.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    When I read, "lightweight alloy frame and trigger made of who knows what", I quit reading. Junk it. If it ain't steel, I don't want it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned
    I will not condemn a pistol because of an aluminum alloy frame. Lots of guns use alloy frames. The technology is mature and well proven. Colt Lightweight Commanders, Beretta 92 series, most SIG's, Walther P-1 & P-5, the Ruger P-85 and many others.
    Steel is a fine material to make pistol frames but it isn't the only material that's suitable. Millions of Glock owners would probably agree with me.

The Remington R51 was a good concept, poorly executed. Remington paid the price for that mistake.

Boolit Grand Master

And my Colt Agent made in '56. I'm not worried about aluminium in the frame. Only one of us has one?
    Wayne the Shrink

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    And my Colt Agent made in '56. I'm not worried about aluminium in the frame. Only one of us has one?

I have a ca. 1922 cal .380 P-51, which is quite a different story.....

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I have a ca. 1922 cal .380 P-51, which is quite a different story.....

I think you meant to write Remington model 51 not P-51

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I think you meant to write Remington model 51 not P-51
    Some folks say "toe may toe", and others say "toe mah toe" - Model 51 & Model P-51 = samey-same.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    remington 51 was a very different gun and was very expensive to make compared to competing product, so a commercial failure, but now a collectible gentleman's suit gun. the p51 tried to capitalise on it's reputation, and was made with **** quality modern production methods and is a technical failure.

Banned
    I owned an original Remington Model 51 chambered in .380 Auto and it was a cool pistol. Mine wouldn't reliably feed hollow points (although it ran like a Swiss watch with FMJ) and it went away. I regret trading it but at the time pragmatic over-ruled collectability.

It was a fabulously well made gun of a different era. I wish I would have been able to hang onto it.

I never heard of a Remington Model 51 referred to as a P-51

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I jumped. Ordered it last night. Classic Firearms even offered an extended guarantee! It will be my first 9mm! My others are 9MAK.
    Wayne the Shrink

Banned
    Looking forward to a full report.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one a couple of years ago at a local gun show, $200 out the door. Shoots OK, just prints too high with all loads (115 to 147 grain) and was a little fussy at first but after 250-300 rounds got better. Only likes new brass case full speed or +P loads, reloads with lead not good. Will shoot steel case Russian loads, but very dirty. Mags need to be loaded correctly with the cases seated to the rear by rapping the mag on your leg or lightly on the table. Also works best if first round is loaded from the mag by running the slide.
    Great looking and feeling gun, a little too heavy to carry concealed full time. Too bad it didn't make it.

Boolit Master
    To all of you who love pistols made of aluminum, you can have mine. Some don't even have aluminum frames. I really don't care how many people love the Glocks, Hecler & Crotch, Beretta or what have you. More people in my state voted for Sweet Hillary than Trump but it doesn't make her the best choice. Aluminum is fine for air planes, screen doors and small fishing boats but does not make good pistol frames.If you get a ding or scratch in it, you cannot cover it with instant blue. I doubt if you will ever see any of the pistols I mentioned in a collection of fine fire arms. There are people on this sight, [God help them] who dearly love the Remington plastic.22 rifle brought out in the 1950s. UGH. To those who disagree with me, remember this, I am Ten Bears and the words I speak are words of iron while the words you speak are words of lead, plastic or possibly even silly putty.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 04-07-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned
    Take a breath.

Boolit Master

The calm before the storm.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems as though aluminum frames have worked pretty well for the Military during the past half century or so.

Howard

Banned
    Don't use facts, logic and empirical evidence, it will only confuse the ones that want to rant.

As soon as he gets done yelling at those kids on his lawn he's going to come back to this "sight" [sic] and educate us on how steel is the only possible material suitable for the receiver on a firearm......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast