Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington R51

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    P&P, I thought I explained myself and my preferences very well when it came to light bulbs and automobiles. Apparently you did not read that post. I have my beliefs and you have yours and I am tired of debating the differences.
    I did read your posts and you made assumptions about me that are incorrect.

You wrote: ".....I liked the light bulbs we had from the time they were invented, then a new bulb came along. Since it was new I am sure you approved. "

In the same post (#27) you wrote: "......All of the things I have written about were new ideas which I am sure you approved of, simply because they were new."

Then in another demonstration that you read the minds of others, you wrote in post #32: "You on the other hand worship at the alter of anything new whether it is a piece of junk or not."

So Gopher, let's get something straight, No one has suggested that steel is a bad material for firearm receivers. Further more, you are welcome to disagree with those who believe aluminum and polymer have proven to work as suitable materials for firearm receivers.
    However you do not possess the ability to peer into the minds of others.
    Simply because you disagree with me doesn't mean that I worship at the alter of all things new. Nor does it mean that I approve of all things new.

My attempts at sarcasm were obviously lost on you.

Boolit Master
    I understand sarcasm very well and it is always lost on me. I can live without it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

What ??? An ENTIRE 3 page post with NO PICTURES???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    What ??? An ENTIRE 3 page post with NO PICTURES???
    Ted, since I am partially responsible for the length of this thread, these pictures are for you. With one exception, the holsters were made by me.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 04-12-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

No pictures because I have an e-mail that the gun has shipped it hasn't hit my shop yet. Thus I don't have it to take a pic of.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Just picked it up. Ordered 500 Berry's bullets from Cabelas and they are backordered for a week or so. No matter since all the ranges are closed.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

I have one of the revised R51’s. Love the look and feel. It has also shot just fine. It shoots a little low so have some heavier rounds to try, just not got to it yet. I try not to shoot it too much, trying to keep it pristine. Teardown for cleaning is not the easiest but not a big problem.

Boolit Master
    How do you feel about the plastic grips on some of those "classic steel" firearms you've had for years?

Boolit Master
    I know, to some of you the sight of all those beautiful steel pistols is like showing a cross to Dracula but to me and many others they are eye candy. As for the two with white epoxy grips, I lye awake nights worrying about them. They are of course easily replaced should I wish to. I did keep the walnut grips.

Boolit Master

I know, to some of you the sight of all those beautiful steel pistols is like showing a cross to Dracula but to me and many others they are eye candy. As for the two with white epoxy grips, I lye awake nights worrying about them. They are of course easily replaced should I wish to. I did keep the walnut grips.
    Myself and plenty of other people have a deep appreciation for the craftsmanship and beauty of a deeply blued classic revolver, but also carry a polymer striker-fired compact pistol because it is smarter and more efficient.

I love this pistol:

Attachment 260716

But rely on this one to defend my life with:

Attachment 260717

I love this old beater:

Attachment 260718

But rely on this one to get me safely to work and the woods and back in comfort:

Attachment 260719
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Idaho45, I appreciate what you posted but answer me one question please, as honestly as is humanly possible. If for some reason you could only keep one of those two pistols would it be? No fudging now.

My grips ain’t plastic, they’s Gutta Percha! Look it up.....

Boolit Master

Idaho45, I appreciate what you posted but answer me one question please, as honestly as is humanly possible. If for some reason you could only keep one of those two pistols would it be? No fudging now.
    It depends.

If I had to sell one for money, it would be the Sig since my dad gave me the Uberti. But, if I had only one pistol to rely on for self-defense and utilitarian reasons, the Sig would be a keeper.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Idaho, you're fudging. What I intended in my question was, you could only have one pistol for your shooting, whatever type it was. No qualifiers. Since this thread has morphed into including trucks I will relate my experience this morning. While driving home this morning, after having a delicious breakfast at Mickie Dees I stopped at my faforite garage to see about a brake job for my car. I had the work done and when it was done I asked the owner a question. I him asked if he was offered a new truck and had his choice of a 1970 or a 2020 model, which would he take? He replied, the 1970 and I would not have to think about it for a second. A friend of mine has just bought a new pickup and while he likes to drive it, he is not happy about the fact that he cannot work on it. You cannot even check the transmission oil . There is no dip stick, The tranny is sealed for 100k miles. You can start it with you cell phone from inside the house. I think that has been standard for several years. If the wiring loom ever burned up in a new vehicle it would cost mega bucks to fix. I bout a 1969 Ford F100 in 1976 for 1K, drove it for 39 years and sold it for for the same price. I am not saying that these new polyester guns don't shoot well. They do. I have shot some very small groups with a Glock. What I am saying is, they would shoot just as well if made of steel. There are a few companies who make them that way.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since a pistol is primarily a self defense and utilitarian piece I’d say Idaho gave you a good answer. Just sayin,”

I'm just not that hung up on steel. Yes I own a few all steel except for the grips weapons. Just took delivery of a new Beretta APX. Fits my hand perfectly, Doesn't need throated as most striker fired pistols do and shoots to point of aim with my cast loads. That and under $400 what's not to like? Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I'm just not that hung up on steel. Yes I own a few all steel except for the grips weapons. Just took delivery of a new Beretta APX. Fits my hand perfectly, Doesn't need throated as most striker fired pistols do and shoots to point of aim with my cast loads. That and under $400 what's not to like? Gp
    I am very hung up on steel. I love the iron age. They discovered you could make steel out of it.

Boolit Grand Master

No pics yet but yesterday had a chance to get out in the country and did fire three magazines of my best friend's 115gr reloads through it. Only one FTL that wasn't my fault, and I think that was a magazine problem. Still waiting on Cabela's to send me Berry's bullets for it.
    Wayne the Shrink

Wayne: Like I mentioned before I'm the somewhat dubious lucky owner of two of these second try R51s. They do need to have the cast bullets seated deeper than I'd like because the lack a proper throat but seem to handle these loads ok. One of mine has about a thousand rounds through it and the ftf's have smoothed out a bit and are rare. It's not the most comfortable 9 to shoot and the real treat is when you field strip and clean the R51's. You'll see what I mean. Good luck, I hope it works for you as the cost has come down A LOT from when they were first released and that's a good thing. Gp

I prefer steel guns myself, but that doesn't mean I don't take an occasional jaunt to the dark side.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast