Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: speer capsule question

Banned

speer capsule question

anyone ever get bored and consider the possibility of using them as a sabot for perhaps say a .311 170 grain bullet in a 357? even a 125 grain bullet?

the excellerator loads seemed interesting, but since those aren't made anymore and the shot capsules are, just what could one get with full power 357 loading data with 32 mag bullets

Boolit Master

i load rock salt, sand, large pellets, #9, #12, and just about anything else that I think might be worth trying but putting a 30 cal boolit in it never crossed my mind.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

The problem would be in getting enough grip on the bullet to impart spin from the rifling. Sabots are normally made from a plastic that is more "grippy" than the slick plastic the Speer capsules are made from. The plastic the capsules is made from is designed to break up on firing.

The other problem is tight fit. I haven't gone down to the shop to see how tight the fit might be, but it would have to be very tight. Sabot plastic is ductile, while capsule plastic is brittle, so I see several problems with the concept.

I have put buckshot in the capsules in the past, which I believe was 0 buck. It wasn't spectacular if I remember correctly, so I didn't pursue it further.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Since bullets for the .38/357 can be had at under 100 grains, I doubt it would gain you much, even if it did work as a sabot and impart rotation to the bullet.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I would think that using a 3D printer might be a very easy way to make custom sabots.

Boolit Mold
    There was an outfit that advertised in Firearms News. They had a bunch of sabot sizes. Buddy bought some to fire 223 bullets in his '06.
    I'm not sure if you could get 30 cal to 357 cal sabots, but try the Google and see what pops up

Boolit Master
    I use to drop two .380 boolits into a .44 capsule, worked really well.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

The engineers at Speer say that the capsules are designed to fracture and break in the bore...not something you want a sabot to do.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I used to stuff them full of spent primers. They wreaked havoc on snakes in my chicken coop. Most definitely a close range proposition though.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master

I think you'd have poor results. Looked at building 50 cal sabots to run a 338 cal bullet at a higher velocity for LR work past 1200m in the early 90s. Do a Web search for sabots, last I looked the Remington style 'Accellorators' were still available and they had quite a few available.