Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: cleaning cartridge

Banned

cleaning cartridge

have seen "cleaning ammo" for shotguns. just powder charge, wad, and a bunch of compressed material to clean a barrel when you shoot it.

Have seen commentary on here of people being surprised to see that "dirty crappy barrels" of old guns they buy suddenly get rather clean and shiny after a session of fire forming cases.

Cornmeal filler in percussion revolvers and even bp pistol cartridges has been proven to keep barrels cleaner and longer.

SO just what are the thoughts on making up a cleaning cartridge for a revolver?

Hmm. Interesting. I've heard about that, but never done it.
    Sounds like more hassle than I want to bother with. I'm more of a bore brush and Hoppe's #9 guy.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    what about just paper patched, I shot some in revolver but didn't really pay attention if they cleaned it much

Banned
    I only have 38 caliber cast bullets, and 311 diameter bullets. not really going to get those to paper patch up unless I use a shoe box for cardboard..

ive been using bore brush and #9. its why im thinking creatively

Boolit Master
    ive always paper patched my normal boolits. just 2 wraps of tracing paper and push it through a sizer with bit of tumble lube.

just making things up maybe small powder charge, card wad, some corn cob media, then a boolit on top. may or may not work. fast cleaning easier to buy a bore snake that's what there made for

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    ive always paper patched my normal boolits. just 2 wraps of tracing paper and push it through a sizer with bit of tumble lube.

just making things up maybe small powder charge, card wad, some corn cob media, then a boolit on top. may or may not work. fast cleaning easier to buy a bore snake that's what there made for
    did get one of those bore snakes today, not high hoped for it. had one for shotgun that never worked at all.

but if I do a cleaning cartridge,, I get to SHOOT MORE. That's a good thing right

Quote Originally Posted by nikonuser View Post
    , I get to SHOOT MORE. That's a good thing right
    That's the spirit!!

Just don't make extra work for your self.
    There's plenty of other people who are more than willing to do that for ya'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

At $2.50 a shot no thanks. https://huntegoltd.com/products/cleanshot-12-gauge

As to shooting more what's the point if your not hitting anything?

The blackpowder shooters have or had cleaning projectile that was intended to be fired between competition stings. That I would be interested in.
    http://www.longrangebpcr.com/Controlling-Fouling.htm

Same for the lead scrapping bullets. These not so much.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-04-2020 at 03:33 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    the bore snake has kind of helped, its letting me see where the build up is occurring BUT its still not the greatest..

Boolit Master
    Revolver barrels clean up just like rifle barrels. It's the forcing cone that presents problems. I've had some luck using foaming bore cleaner to loosen lead fouling in the forcing cone, but when that doesn't work, try twisting a bore brush one size bigger than what fits the bore. If all else fails, it's time for a Lewis lead remover.

Boolit Master
    I agree with paper patched boolits. Unlubed, they really shine a bore up.

Boolit Master
    If it is for smokeless, why bother? Just shoot it. I've done 'trials' before where have not cleaned a pistol for 300 or 400 rounds without an issue. The only issues I have run into is 'custom' semi-autos that start to bind up when they get dirty. Not related to bore condition. Revolvers and cast the only issue I have run into is lead deposits on the face of the cylinder/barrel that start to impede the rotation of the cylinder. Would not be cleaned with a cartridge system.

If you are trying to clean out lead fouling then I would just find a lube/bullet combination that did not lead the barrel. And/or use gas checks.

For black powder I have also considered a 'cleaning round'. I'd probably try something like a gas checked rubber/plastic bullet. I had heard of a guy who used a .45acp case sized to bore and reversed (shot base first). Don't know if it worked.

This would certainly make a lever action bpcr easier to shoot for longer strings.

PS patched bullets do polish up a bore, but, they do not remove fouling. They certainly do not leave any lead fouling.

Boolit Master
    The lazy man's method of removing lead from a bore is ending each shooting session with jacketed bullets. It kind of works.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Norske;4870171]The lazy man's method of removing lead from a bore is ending each shooting session with jacketed bullets. It kind of works.[/Qoute

That kind of works... like only putting half the recommended oil in your engine after an oil change.

my problem is all in the forcing cone and start of the rifling

[QUOTE=Norske;4870171]The lazy man's method of removing lead from a bore is ending each shooting session with jacketed bullets. It kind of works.[/Qoute

I think that causes the forcing cone to crack... I use moly in my lube and the bore stays shiny, I wipe off the carbon and burnt powder and that's it....

Banned
    [QUOTE=gnostic;4870385]
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    The lazy man's method of removing lead from a bore is ending each shooting session with jacketed bullets. It kind of works.[/Qoute

I think that causes the forcing cone to crack... I use moly in my lube and the bore stays shiny, I wipe off the carbon and burnt powder and that's it....
    some have thought the forcing cone in magnum K frames was made worse by high velocity light weight wonder bullets fired into barrels that hadn't been de leaded before using jacketed...

and it don't clean the barrel, just irons it into the metal.

Boolit Master
    Spray some Rem-Oil down the bore, let it soak for awhile. Flush out with HOT water. Follow up with a bore snake. If the bore is not too badly fouled, skip the hot water.