MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FR8 (Mauser) feeding issue - the continuing saga

One other thing that I find a bit puzzling, is that a standard-length M98 follower fits my magazine just fine, even with the front spacer in place. Yet the Spaniards used a shorter follower. It doesn't really make sense, since its' smaller dimensions allow for more movement in the magazine, and, in fact, it can tip or tilt without too much difficulty.

Boolit Grand Master

Something not right there.

The FR8 follower is 2.94" in length.

The FR8 magazine length is 3.09 with the block in place. The blocks were solidly soldered in so if yours is removeable someone has tinkered with it.

Standard military 7.92 [8x57] is 3.16" +/- in length and will not fit into the FR8 magazine below the first round.

A standard M98 follower is 3.072 in length and does fit in the FR8 mag but it is a tight fit and does not allow proper movement of the follower during feeding.

What id the internal length of the magazine with the block in place?

Here is how the front block fits in my FR8.

Attachment 260052
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I see now that I was a bit unclear before, but the front spacer is solidly affixed, and I have made no attempt to remove it. The following measurements are a little rough, but:
    FR8 Follower - 2.94"
    Generic M98 Followers - 3.064" and 3.065"
    FR8 Magazine well - 3.136" The calipers were at a bit of an angle, and it must greater than this; I can fit a full five rounds of 8mm into the magazine.

The first M98 follower was the shorter of the two, and both gave similar performance, with the longer being more sensitive to cartridge location.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    I see now that I was a bit unclear before, but the front spacer is solidly affixed, and I have made no attempt to remove it. The following measurements are a little rough, but:
    FR8 Follower - 2.94"
    Generic M98 Followers - 3.064" and 3.065"
    FR8 Magazine well - 3.136" The calipers were at a bit of an angle, and it must greater than this; I can fit a full five rounds of 8mm into the magazine.

The first M98 follower was the shorter of the two, and both gave similar performance, with the longer being more sensitive to cartridge location.
    Keep in mind there are at least 48 Mauser variations. More followers may work. You could always resale them, labeled what the don't work for. There is always someone looking to fix this gremlin. If friends nearby have Mausers, try theirs, or even followers from other makes of rifle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

If another follower doesn’t feed five rounds, the one that feeds three rounds slick for a total of four looks pretty good. I’m happily living with that on my 1916 Oviedo 30-30 conversion. BTW I have my original 7x57mm follower if you want to try it. It is a 1893 and yours is a 1898 but you never know in Mauserland........

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    As long as I actually push the round down into the magazine first, it makes no significant difference.
    That is how it is supposed to be loaded. When you just drop the round into the action no wonder it won't feed. To single load start the round into the chamber and remember the claw has to go over the shell to chamber, Mod the extractor so it can.

All of my builds get the feeding that way even though I always load into the Magazine first.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    That is how it is supposed to be loaded. When you just drop the round into the action no wonder it won't feed. To single load start the round into the chamber and remember the claw has to go over the shell to chamber, Mod the extractor so it can.
    A Mauser is designed to be positive feeding/positive extraction. The extractor wont last long forcing it to pop over the rim repeatedly.

HumptyDumpty : Im curious how it behaves if you start the round with them loaded fully to the front of the magazine box, spacer removed. I built a VZ24 in 22-250 Ackley, and spacing the rear of the follower, forcing all the rounds to the front of the magazine box. It took about a year to realize that. Just curious food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If another follower doesnÂ’t feed five rounds, the one that feeds three rounds slick for a total of four looks pretty good. IÂ’m happily living with that on my 1916 Oviedo 30-30 conversion. BTW I have my original 7x57mm follower if you want to try it. It is a 1893 and yours is a 1898 but you never know in Mauserland........
    It's worth a shot. Sending a PM.
    In regards to single-round feeding, I'm aware of the problems involved with just dropping a round into the chamber. The way Gtek phrased his question, it sounded (to me) like he was asking if it would feed a round sitting on top of the follower.
    I don't think I can remove the spacer without damaging it, but I might as well take a careful look. I have multiple projects going at the moment, in addition to my usual reloading, and this one got pushed to the back-burner over the last several days. In the mean time, I have come across several good deals on a variety of Mausers; maybe I need to just start buying them, until I find one that feeds 308 well.
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 04-20-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Id see if I couldnt have a look at a 98 converted to 243,from memory the Parker Hales fed OK ,anyway ,see how they did it.....Like caliber conversions in a Winchester lever ...easy to say.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    A Mauser is designed to be positive feeding/positive extraction. The extractor wont last long forcing it to pop over the rim repeatedly.
    Fitted correctly it is Not forcing it over.

HumptyDumpty- watch your mailbox for incoming follower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

After trying a multitude of followers (including TGB's), I decided to open the feed rails a little bit, using a bastard file, and some very fine sandpaper. I really can't say whether it made any difference or not. I'll try modifying one or two of the follower, and, if I can' get it to work, I may have to pay somebody. I'm going to let it sit for a little while; this is becoming a very frustrating project.

Boolit Buddy
    About 25 years ago I briefly owned of these, and I was never able to get it it to feed. Someone before me had take a Dremel too, I think, to the feed lips on the magazine. I literally cut myself on the left side rail. It went to a buddy who wanted to see if he could restore it to the original 8mm.

Boolit Buddy
    About 25 years ago I briefly owned of these, and I was never able to get it it to feed. Someone before me had take a Dremel too, I think, to the feed lips on the magazine. I literally cut myself on the left side rail. It went to a buddy who wanted to see if he could restore it to the original 8mm.

For the benefit of anyone who might be in a similar situation, I eventually found a smith within driving distance, who has experience with Mausers. While I had partially corrected the feed-lips myself, the magazine box required reforming. Apparently, the sides had gotten bent inwards, ever so slightly, at some point in the past. The smith finished with my rifle's feed-lips, fixed the magazine, and polished the feed-ramp, for good measure. It now feeds flawlessly. After discussing the matter with him, and studying his handiwork closely, I am fairly confident that a novice, if handy with his tools and patient, could get one of these running correctly. *EDIT I had some difficult sending pictures via PM, I'll just upload them here. You'll have to save them to your computer, if you want them for reference.*Attachment 262001Attachment 262002Attachment 262003
    Most of the work was done to the left rail. If you look closely, you can
    see a few marks he made, indicating where material was removed.
    Last edited by HumptyDumpty; 05-12-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Boolit Buddy

A great ending to your story!
    I have had several FR8, but only 1 now. I will never sell it. It makes a very handy deer / hog gun also!

And now it’s time for a full length pic, yes?

And now it’s time for a full length pic, yes?
    Well, I don't normally show off online, but since you asked.....Attachment 262032

Neat.....and the Star is a nice touch, too. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I’ve had luck leaving the rails alone but grinding back the receiver web Underneath each rail to let the fatter round nestle in a bit more to the outside. This has worked on a 98/.358Norma, a 38 Arisaka/8x57,and a P14 Enfield/.450 Marlin. It may or may not work in your case.
    Flame away, but a steady hand and a Dremel sanding drum does a pretty good job on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Well then, if grind and file the feed lips we must, then in your photo #2 right where the shoulder is contacting the right side of the receiver is a good place to start.
    My FR8 would not feed the 1st round round on the right side without jamming. The 3rd round was better but could be much better. When the fatter lower section of the brass contacts the lower round as it moves forward creating the jam. I marked where the pressure points were and hand filed the right side of the receiver mag well, a little at time. After each time, test the function and mark again. Patience is name of the game.
    Last edited by Ruskeyguns; 05-26-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12