MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Toaster Oven Temp a Bit Light

Boolit Master

Toaster Oven Temp a Bit Light

The best I can eek out of the little oven is 390. What are your experiences with the temp being just a tad low?

Boolit Master
    Get cooking! I will guess you will be just fine. Bake a batch, size & load a acouple dozen and check the barrel. My set-up is digital, the 375* is a little under 400* and 400* setting is a little over 400*...I use the 375* setting. On my powder from Smoke I think it said 375* to 400*.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    If you have confirmed that it is really 390 degrees and will hold that temp I would use it and just add time.

But I would make sure the thermostat will actually hold 390 or does it drop to 350 or whatever. If that is the case I would shop for a new oven.

Depending how old your oven is, many times the temp control is adjustable. Check the temperature sensor/bulb first. Make sure it is not bent/kinked or covered in crap.
    If You have a Robert Shaw thermostat, pull the knob off and you will see inside the D-shaft an adjustment screw. This controls the temp. In-hotter.
    If you have a simple bimetallic T-stat it too will have a set screw you can screw in to increase the temp. Many times these these are factory set and sealed in Red Gliptol paint. Just scrape off the paint and adjust as needed.
    Your thermometer must never be at the top of the oven, always dangle it off of the wire shelf in the middle of the oven.

Boolit Master
    I took the crumb tray out yesterday and rechecked the temp. Then it held 400 perfectly fine. Makes sense to remove a heat inhibitor from the little box. The PC'd boolits came out pretty after letting them bake for 25 minutes, to be sure the temp was up after placing them in the oven. I can appreciate this as another method to engage in the sport we all know and love.